Somali Terror Leader of al-Shabab Ahmed Abdi Godane Killed in U.S. Strike

Options
StillFaggyAF
StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in The Social Lounge
Ahmed Abdi Godane — the leader of al Shabab, the Islamic militant organization behind the siege on a mall in Kenya last year — was killed in a U.S. military strike earlier this week, an al Shabab source told NBC News on Friday.

The Pentagon confirmed the death later in the day.

“Removing Godane from the battlefield is a major symbolic and operational loss to al Shabab,” said Rear Adm. John Kirby, a Pentagon spokesman. “The United States works in coordination with its friends, allies and partners to counter the regional and global threats posed by violent extremist organizations.”

A U.S. security official also told NBC News earlier in the week that Shabab had been killed by the strike on Monday. U.S. officials had said publicly after the strike that Godane was targeted, but that they were not sure whether he was dead.

The al Shabab source told NBC News that Godane was among 11 militants killed. Also killed were an operations leader, a financial official and a military strategist for the organization, the source said.

“It’s a big win,” the U.S. security official said. “He was operationally savvy and ideologically driven, with aspirations off the charts.” The official said that nine Hellfire missiles and one 500-pound guided bomb had been used in the strike.

The Reuters news agency reported Friday that the Somali prime minister had confirmed the death on Facebook, but Reuters later withdrew that report. A Somali government spokesman told Reuters that the government had not yet commented on whether Godane was dead.

The siege last September at the Westgate Mall in Nairobi left 67 people dead and about 200 injured.

The United States in 2012 offered a $7 million reward for his arrest. Godane took leadership of al Shabab after his predecessor was killed in an American airstrike in 2008.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/terror-leader-ahmed-abdi-godane-killed-u-s-strike-n196601

Comments

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Take that terrorism!
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    America! ? yeah!!
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably more to this than they're telling us. Strange the US would put effort to put an air strike on him.
  • God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Someone else will become leader.

Nothing will change.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Probably more to this than they're telling us. Strange the US would put effort to put an air strike on him.

Theyve been had drone strikes in Somalia
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The problem with hitting these leaders is that a worse joker steps up... I mean look at how Libya is looking and how Syria is dealing with the ? going on.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The problem with hitting these leaders is that a worse joker steps up... I mean look at how Libya is looking and how Syria is dealing with the ? going on.

I don't think you can say the same about that guy. The leader of Libya was a ? up guy and did terrorist ? but he was also a leader that that administered a country. This guy was a pure terrorist only focused on destruction and implementing the worst form of rule not different then IS or Boku. He was the worst guy. he will be replaced though.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was a pretty bad guy, only a coward would engineer an attack against a shopping mall in Africa. I'm glad he was killed
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL at that name. Is this africa or is this arabia? I find it quite sad that I know very few somali's with actual somali names smh. I know them arabs got at them, but they didn't get hit as hard as us african americans. They still have a cool amount of their culture/language in tact. Their families didn't get split up or nothing like that.

It's sad that you can't hardly find any history on somalia before the arabs invaded. There's all kinds of ultra ancient and unexplained stuff that has been unearthed over there. Them arabs probably destroyed everything and replaced it with their ? like in egypt. It's crazy how somalia at one time had the most fertile lands and tons of gold. After the arabs and allah it's hella famine and is like the most poor place in the world.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    LOL at that name. Is this africa or is this arabia? I find it quite sad that I know very few somali's with actual somali names smh. I know them arabs got at them, but they didn't get hit as hard as us african americans. They still have a cool amount of their culture/language in tact. Their families didn't get split up or nothing like that.

It's sad that you can't hardly find any history on somalia before the arabs invaded. There's all kinds of ultra ancient and unexplained stuff that has been unearthed over there. Them arabs probably destroyed everything and replaced it with their ? like in egypt. It's crazy how somalia at one time had the most fertile lands and tons of gold. After the arabs and allah it's hella famine and is like the most poor place in the world.

Somalis accepted that wild ? willingly. They would tell you that they are proud of never being conquered. There was a Somalian support group thread on here not to long ago.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    It's sad that you can't hardly find any history on somalia before the arabs invaded. There's all kinds of ultra ancient and unexplained stuff that has been unearthed over there. Them arabs probably destroyed everything and replaced it with their ? like in egypt.
    i mean, we seem to have SOME historical knowledge of the area

• PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

Somalis accepted that wild ? willingly. They would tell you that they are proud of never being conquered. There was a Somalian support group thread on here not to long ago.
    If you noticed those are the brainwashed ones. They will also tell you that they tore their own country apart and caused all the famine too, lol. Even with the knowledge they have of the arabs ? they ? up. They hate arabs like african americans hate whites. But still willingly follow their religion/culture(wtf?). Sound familiar?.......This is exactly how us african americans/african islanders are with european culture/relgion.

But there's some of us who know the truth and do not ignore it(brainwashed). I know a few somali cats who are not muslim and hate islam. This is where I got most of my info from, and history class. They said the arabs came over with their advanced weapons and ? on them. Took all the gold, crops, enslaved them, forced their religion on them, and had a bunch of ? parties for 100's of years. Till one day they kicked the invaders out and now they are left with nothing but scraps. Survival instincts set in and people started to do whatever to survive. To make matters worse they have lost a piece of themselves and took on the screwed up mentality of their oppressors too.

Again, sound familiar?..........But the difference is in places where christianity(all forms of it) is in it's rawest form. You can easily find TONS of people/groups speaking on the dark side of the religion and even denouncing it. But with islam.......................SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! Even here in america you don't see tons of propaganda speaking against the evils of islam. You got small pockets of people and IT'S MOSTLY WOMEN lol.

But most of them folks is full of ? that claim they all into the religion like that though(trust me). They half ass follow that religion just like people in any other religion. That's the hilarious part about all of it.
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options

If you noticed those are the brainwashed ones. They will also tell you that they tore their own country apart and caused all the famine too, lol. Even with the knowledge they have of the arabs ? they ? up. They hate arabs like african americans hate whites. But still willingly follow their religion/culture(wtf?). Sound familiar?.......This is exactly how us african americans/african islanders are with european culture/relgion.

But there's some of us who know the truth and do not ignore it(brainwashed). I know a few somali cats who are not muslim and hate islam. This is where I got most of my info from, and history class. They said the arabs came over with their advanced weapons and ? on them. Took all the gold, crops, enslaved them, forced their religion on them, and had a bunch of ? parties for 100's of years. Till one day they kicked the invaders out and now they are left with nothing but scraps. Survival instincts set in and people started to do whatever to survive. To make matters worse they have lost a piece of themselves and took on the screwed up mentality of their oppressors too.

Again, sound familiar?..........But the difference is in places where christianity(all forms of it) is in it's rawest form. You can easily find TONS of people/groups speaking on the dark side of the religion and even denouncing it. But with islam.......................SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! Even here in america you don't see tons of propaganda speaking against the evils of islam. You got small pockets of people and IT'S MOSTLY WOMEN lol.

But most of them folks is full of ? that claim they all into the religion like that though(trust me). They half ass follow that religion just like people in any other religion. That's the hilarious part about all of it.

Powerful post, especially the last thing you said. My boy is Muslim and has run trains on chicks and smokes and drinks sometimes more then me. Labor Day weekend I threw up trying to catch up to him lol, I knew another Muslim dude who claims he was close to Wilt Chamberlain numbers. Deep down all followers of the Abrahamic religions know their religions are ? , they just need something to believe in. The people who DO take religion seriously, especially Islam, are truly the ones who are the problem. Following the Koran word for word is a horror show, same with following the Bible word for word.

Islam lost ALL of its moral authority to me when I saw history texts of how often Arabs did slave raids into Africa and the Arab Peninsula, Islam did NOTHING to make the people of that region more moral, although they did treat women a little better after Islam lol shocking as that sounds. The history of religion is a very sad and disgraceful one.

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there is no such thing as moral authority when it come to humanity
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

Moral authority is a very real thing, don't fool yourself. A child is more likely to respect his elders if those same elders respected him or her growing up. Same can go for any other situation where the morality of someone is not respected, fear/power is a motivator to listen of course but moral authority is what actually brings the respect. Fear eventually brings on rebellion, moral authority usually brings in peace, with few exceptions
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited September 2014
    Options

Usually, when i see Christians speaking out, it's against another form of Christianity. If they speak out on their own, then somebody is plotting their own denomination. At one point in history, this would lead to all out war within the last 1000 years. Most of the loud Muslims that speak out are against moderate Muslims that remain humble. How can you speak out against a group that would have your head. You fight or die as they are doing now. Somalians accepted Islam before Arab empires committed war on them. They were also part of the slave trade by being a important trade post at one point. You know who else rapped Africa to a greater extent? Europeans Christians. Many of them are still there and are wrecking as much Havoc as Arabs if not more. Islam in this country hasn't always been the same and in agreement with one another. There has been more different forms in America more then elsewhere. You have the NOI, 5% and Moorish Science Temple all birthed and splintered in the states. Muslims have been burning IS flags and speaking out on extremism even at the cost of their lives, so i don't know why you keep beating this drum? Regardless, both religions have committed world wide fuckery regardless of individuals being vocal. I still think Christians got them beat but like to hide behind their moral authority.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

Moral authority is a very real thing, don't fool yourself. A child is more likely to respect his elders if those same elders respected him or her growing up. Same can go for any other situation where the morality of someone is not respected, fear/power is a motivator to listen of course but moral authority is what actually brings the respect. Fear eventually brings on rebellion, moral authority usually brings in peace, with few exceptions

There is no moral authority in the mid-east and we are not dealing with children and fear rules mankind it's fear for our own self interest that keeps society together. intelligent rulers/systems of government don't push too far because they fear the people. thus fear keeps ? in order
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was a pretty bad guy, only a coward would engineer an attack against a shopping mall in Africa. I'm glad he was killed

Yes and no. One can say killing is wrong, but one must also look at the big picture. In a lot of countries corruption is high and the poor lack the even the most basics like water and food. I know this is hard to phantom in the west and america, but the world out there is a pretty ? place partly due to european colonization and that mall is a symbol of it. A LOT of people sympathize with terrorists out there for a reason. You can ? this guy, but you can never ? the mujahideens.
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options

Yes and no. One can say killing is wrong, but one must also look at the big picture. In a lot of countries corruption is high and the poor lack the even the most basics like water and food. I know this is hard to phantom in the west and america, but the world out there is a pretty ? place partly due to european colonization and that mall is a symbol of it. A LOT of people sympathize with terrorists out there for a reason. You can ? this guy, but you can never ? the mujahideens.

I agree people worldwide sympathize with militants there because of hard poverty and corrupt govts that have benefitted from European actions, it's why I'm against America butting in every place around the world. These militants often are fighting against corrupt govts and I can respect that, but when they target shopping malls with fellow Africans, it doesn't look right. Stick to fighting the govt if it's that bad, although I understand desperate times make desperate measures. So yes, the essence of what you said is correct. The west, ESPECIALLY America, is far from innocent.
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree people worldwide sympathize with militants there because of hard poverty and corrupt govts that have benefitted from European actions, it's why I'm against America butting in every place around the world. These militants often are fighting against corrupt govts and I can respect that, but when they target shopping malls with fellow Africans, it doesn't look right. Stick to fighting the govt if it's that bad, although I understand desperate times make desperate measures. So yes, the essence of what you said is correct. The west, ESPECIALLY America, is far from innocent.

I want to adress this. Killing innocent africans even works against their cause so i personally would advise them to refrain from such acts in the future. They must win the people to win the war. But the fact that people still support these guys after they ? innocent people should tell you something about how fed up they are with corruption and western capitalism.

• kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options

I want to adress this. Killing innocent africans even works against their cause so i personally would advise them to refrain from such acts in the future. They must win the people to win the war. But the fact that people still support these guys after they ? innocent people should tell you something about how fed up they are with corruption and western capitalism.

Yes killing innocent Africans works against any just cause they may have. It scared the Somalian govt to work with an obviously corrupt and immoral American govt. But yeah the anger against western actions in these places is very high, it's the same reason ISIS is so big in the Middle East now. They are seen as a force that can fight western interests that historically have badly mistreated the natives of the region. In the end, terror can only be defeated with political solutions that benefit the disaffected, military solutions is only a band aid. It's easy to see all these bombings and air strikes all over the planet haven't ended anything.
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options
    goldjordan wrote: »
    ? that these ? still killed a black man

Obama is half White so I guess I can understand this....