Kendrick Lamar Headlining The 2015 Essence Festival

_Goldie_
_Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
kendrick-lamar.jpg?w=600

The 2015 Essence Festival will feature Kendrick Lamar, Mary J. Blige, Erykah Badu, comedian Kevin Hart, Common, India.Arie and New Orleans' own Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews, among others, on its main stage at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome this summer. The 21st annual Essence is July 2-5.

Hart will headline the festival's opening "Now Playing" concert, a sort of soft opening, on Thursday, July 2. The festival first presented a smaller Thursday night event, with reduced seating and only one stage, in 2014. Hart first performed on the main Essence stage in 2012.

Other 2015 acts revealed in what is described as the "first round" of talent revelations include homegrown rappers Mystikal and Dee-1, plus, Kool Moe Dee, Doug E. Fresh, Slick Rick, Floetry, jazz bassist Esperanza Spalding, Kelly Price, Bilal, Nico & Vinz, Lianne La Havas, Elle Varner,Floetry, SZA, Tonya Bond Cannon, Leon Bridges, Andra Day, Raheem DeVaughn, Mali Music, Eric Roberson, Teedra Moses, Avery*Sunshine, Kindred The Family Soul, Goapele, Robert Glasper, Tweet, Jeff Bradshaw and such local acts as Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk and Tank & the Bangas.

Of the announced main stage performers, only Lamar is new to Essence. The rapper's 2012 major label debut, "good kid, m.A.A.d city," is a concept album that traces his childhood and youth in Compton, Calif. A critical and commercial success, it sold more than a million copies and was named the sixth-best album of 2012 by Rolling Stone, among many other accolades.

Comments

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good look. Might actually try to go.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the overall experience, I might ? with this again. Been multiple times and it's my favorite of New Orleans "black events". Had an incredible time last year between partying in the city and going to the concerts. Need to see the rest of the line up to see what shows I'll catch.

Y'all ? that don't know, should know that these tickets have been selling since the end of last years. They go quick and range from $250 to $4000 a seat. They're gonna jack up the hotel prices too. You'll probably have to spend more money and have less options waiting till the last minute.