20 Things that you might not know about Death Row Records...

water ur seeds
water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
... The only ones I didn't know were numbers 16 and 2... Ive never heard of 'Legal Corruption', and I didn't know that Hen Dog did the logo for The Row, I bet dude didn't get paid for it either... The rest is pretty much common knowledge for hip hop heads/geeks over 25...

Still its interesting reading...

SOURCE:
http://siccness.net/20-things-you-didnt-know-about-death-row-records

20. DJ Quik & The Notorious B.I.G.
Death Row affiliate, and Compton rapper DJ Quik was once considered a suspect in the murder of the Notorious B.I.G. Quik and his crew known as the ‘Tree Top Pirus’ were present at the Automotive Peterson Museum the night Biggie Smalls was killed. (Read: DJ Quik Speaks on the LAPD naming him a suspect)

19. Death Row Security
Reggie Wright Jr, the head of security for Death Row Records was the son of ComptonPolice Chief Reggie Wright Sr. Many believe this was a tactical move by Suge Knight to stay one step ahead of the Police.

18. Mafia Connection
David Kenner, the infamous lawyer and close confidant of Suge Knight has long been rumored to have ties with the legendary Genovese Crime Family of New York City. But according to former LAPD Detective David Peterson, Suge Knight couldn’t care less and didn’t know who they were.

17. East vs West
The seeds of the East Coast vs West Coast beef were planted down South, when Anthony ‘Wolf Jones’, Puff Daddy’s one time best friend allegedly killed Suge Knight’s close confidant ‘Jake Robles’ in an Atlanta nightclub in 1995. That incident triggered the Death Row vs Bad Boy Beef. Ironically, Anthony ‘Wolf Jones’ was killed in 2003 in an Atlanta nightclub himself. Suge Knight’s friend, Big Meech and The BMF were investigated for the crime, but Police couldn’t find any witnesses to testify and the case was eventually dropped.

16. Legal Corruption
Gina Longo was the first and only White artist ever signed to Death Row Records. Coincidentally or not, she was also the daughter of the same Los Angeles Prosecutor who was investigating Suge Knight for assault charges. The Prosecutor, Larry Longo, eventually dropped the charges after his daughter secured a recording contract with Death Row.

15. No Price On Freedom
Dr Dre, who owned 50% of Death Row Records, received no royalty, publishing, or money when he left the label in 1995. Dre was reportedly entitled to earn over $60 million from the split. When asked if he was upset about not receiving any residuals, Dre famously said ‘You can’t put a price on a peaceful state of mind’. (Watch More Here: Dr Dre vs Suge)

14. Respect for the East
Young Noble of the Outlawz who is from New Jersey gave Tupac a copy of Illmatic in the fall of 1994, Pac quickly became a fan and respected Nas for his artistry. In 1996 Tupac released his track about a man infatuated with his gun ‘Me and My Girlfriend’, which, according to the Outlawz was heavily influenced by Nas’ conceptual song ‘I Gave You Power’

13. Clash of Generations
When Run DMC received their life-time achievement award at the 1995 Source Awards, they were greeted with a standing ovation from nearly everyone inside the Paramount Theater in Madison Square Garden. The only ones not to stand or even acknowledge them was Death Row Records. Death Row was subsequently criticized by many publications for their perceived disrespectful gesture towards hip hop royalty.

12. Before The Beef
Prior to their now legendary beef, Suge Knight and Puff Daddy were friends who often held parties together and hung out on plenty of occasions. If Knight visited New York in 1994 he’d drop by Bad Boy’s office. If Puffy traveled to Los Angeles “he would come pick me up and we’d hang out” Puffy once said.

11. Record Sales
From 1992-1996 Death Row Records sold nearly 27 million albums, the catalog included The Chronic, ? , All Eyez On Me and more.

Comments

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • IAmDopeSmoke
    IAmDopeSmoke Members Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow so u tell me suge is responsible for creating the M.O.B Blood Set in Compton the same set Lil Wayne claims....no wonder suge riding with Wayne
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow so u tell me suge is responsible for creating the M.O.B Blood Set in Compton the same set Lil Wayne claims....no wonder suge riding with Wayne

suge didnt create mob, its an offshoot of luedars park at this time neither hood ? with suge at all

• water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Chocolate wrote Vanilla's biggest hit? Didn't know that

Yeah he wrote for him... Chocolate had a dope album to 'Life N A Day'...

Vanilla Ice diss in a skit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXshAmhfbbM
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn Suge is a crazy muthafucka
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a Clique within the set ? happen all the time and sadly alot of internal ? generally results...

• Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suge is even more of a don than I thought

Gonna watch Welcome to Death Row again
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    11. Record Sales
    From 1992-1996 Death Row Records sold nearly 27 million albums, the catalog included The Chronic, ? , All Eyez On Me and more.

Bad Boy sold that much in 1997 alone
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3. The Night Biggie Smalls Was Killed
    The scene at the Automotive Peterson Museum on March 9th 1997 was quite interesting due to the guest list. In attendance were Biggie and Puff Daddy, Tupac’s former finance’ Kidada Jones, Biggie’s ex-wife Faith Evans, Suge Knight’s ex-wife Sharitha, DJ Quik and a group of ‘Tree Top Pirus’, and the man suspected of killing Tupac Shakur, Orlando Anderson was also present.

^^^^This is CRAZY
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5. The New Motown
    In 1993, Death Row records was able to generate more than $75 million dollars and release two of the biggest selling hip hop albums of all time in just a 10 month span. Vibe Magazine once described Death Row “as the most profitable, independently owned African American hip hop label of all time.”

4. Giving Back
    Along with being feared, Suge was also respected in Compton for his charitable work in the community.
    One such venture was “Let Me Ride Hydraulics”, a car customization shop he formed with Dr. Dre in 1994 which employed hundreds from his hometown. Death Row also hosted a Mother’s Day celebration in Beverly Hills, California every year for 500 single mothers, sponsored toy giveaways at churches and hospitals, and doled out turkeys to the needy for Thanksgiving Day. They organized basketball tournaments, raised money for struggling families to pay rent and gave many Ex-Cons opportunities to work at Death Row Records

If only Deathrow was known for these things

• SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twenty things a MUSIC company is known for

And hardly any MUSIC is mentioned just crimes.

Suge is woat businessman.

Imagine if it was top twenty things Apple is known for, and it was a list of murders, threats, and beatdowns.

He had hottest label in the damn game and lost it all, not on some "oh they put out bad music" ? ...but on some, "they killed and stomped out too many ? , feds is after them" ? ...

? insane
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    thank ? "Funky Enough Records" didnt work out
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Funky Enough is the label that pays me
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Death Row>>>> Bad Boy at the end of the day. Tru Death Row no longer exists but honestly wouldn't be no different being on Bad Boy 2day on the real
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FLYguy69 wrote: »
    Death Row>>>> Bad Boy at the end of the day. Tru Death Row no longer exists but honestly wouldn't be no different being on Bad Boy 2day on the real

Life After Death >>> The best album on Death Row
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    ^^^ this dude lives in fantasy worlds

• hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015

13. Clash of Generations
    When Run DMC received their life-time achievement award at the 1995 Source Awards, they were greeted with a standing ovation from nearly everyone inside the Paramount Theater in Madison Square Garden. The only ones not to stand or even acknowledge them was Death Row Records. Death Row was subsequently criticized by many publications for their perceived disrespectful gesture towards hip hop royalty.

12. Before The Beef
    Prior to their now legendary beef, Suge Knight and Puff Daddy were friends who often held parties together and hung out on plenty of occasions. If Knight visited New York in 1994 he’d drop by Bad Boy’s office. If Puffy traveled to Los Angeles “he would come pick me up and we’d hang out” Puffy once said.

It's been said, Death Row was on some ? that year and they started the tension, not NY. Some how it was just easy to blame NYC for what happened that night.

How the hell you don't show Run DMC some respect?
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

13. Clash of Generations

12. Before The Beef

It's been said, Death Row was on some ? that year and they started the tension, not NY. Some how it was just easy to blame NYC for what happen that night.

How the hell you don't show Run DMC some respect?

Them dudes was really in there believin their own hype...It was 95 tho, and they were some of the biggest acts, just not in the garden that night...mightve been tough to deal with.....
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    5 Grand wrote: »
    FLYguy69 wrote: »

Life After Death >>> The best album on Death Row

I'm not gonna compare BIG to Pac albums or ? , cause those can go either way.

But as a overall variety

Deathrow>>>>>>>>>
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭