Apple To Debut Streaming Service This Summer

_Goldie_
_Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
Apple-Beats-Music-Streaming-Service-Large.jpg

When technology super-brand Apple paid $3.2 billion (with a B!) to acquire Dr. Dre‘s Beats Music enterprise, many were scratching their heads as to what could justify such an gargantuan figure. But now the iTunes giant has showed its hand: Apple will roll out a new music streaming service this summer, modeled in large part of of the original Beats service.

Yesterday TechCrunch reported that the new Apple streaming service will feature tight integration with the company’s current fleet of hardware and debut in June. But the service won’t be strictly limited to iPhone and iPad users–Apple reportedly has aims to bring the service to both web and Android users as well.

The service will debut at a price of $7.99, making it a relative bargain compared to other popular streaming services such as Spotify and Rdio. TechCrunch goes on to detail that the service will not feature any OG Beats branding and is expected to fully integrate with users’ existing iTunes libraries, iCloud storage and Apple ID profiles. The move marks yet another power play from a company who has, for better or worse, revolutionized the way in which music is bought and solid in the 21st century.

Comments

• black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will Apple is late to the party unless they have something propriety that stands out from the ops.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't they already have iTunes radio and beats music
  • r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CJ wrote: »

Right now it’s easy to stream any song you want, whenever you want, legally, without paying a penny.

The big music labels want that to change. Apple says it wants to help them.

Apple executives have been telling the music industry it can help them roll back the tide of free digital music by relaunching its own subscription streaming service this year. Unlike Spotify and YouTube, Apple’s service won’t offer a free “tier” of music interspersed with ads — after an initial trial period, you’ll need to pay to play.

Apple executives, led by media head Eddy Cue and Beats Music founder Jimmy Iovine, have been arguing that the music business “needs to get behind a paywall,” say people who have talked to them. Apple bought Beats last year, partly to help it gain a foothold on streaming music just as iTunes sales of digital downloads had started to drop.

they lost out on net neutrality so i think there trying another way to police the internet.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being able to stream your itune catalog on a android phone is gonna be worth it .......... Also with Ivoine teamed up with Apple too, I'm guessing we can look forward to the whole Interscope catalog being available for streaming too .......
  • contemplate
    contemplate Members Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭
    r.prince18 wrote: »
    they lost out on net neutrality so i think there trying another way to police the internet.

do you even know what net neutrality is?

it's keeping the internet exactly how it has been. try reading more than headlines
  • r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    r.prince18 wrote: »

do you even know what net neutrality is?

it's keeping the internet exactly how it has been. try reading more than headlines

I was talking about the label s trying to get in on the streaming business
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn i need to buy an Apple share .
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    apple better step their game up if they want to compete