Kendrick Lamar Pays Homage to BIG (Freestyles Over Classic Biggie Beats)

_Goldie_
_Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator

Comments

• green1
    green1 Members Posts: 39
    kendrick actually freestyled
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    It was aite, King Los woulda killed this way better though.
  • Original_Skin
    Original_Skin Members Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    I kinda forgot what real freestyles sounded like - much respect for actually going off the top.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That ? was wack af!
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again, y'all are grossly overhyping this dude
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a ? freestyle you idiots
  • xxCivicxx
    KamPushMe wrote: »

I really don't care about off the dome freestyles anymore. Hip-hop is a legitimate musical genre now and has been for decades. Noone makes a country artist or an adult contemporary artist or a heavy metal artist make up a verse over someone else's song during an interview so why do rap artists still have to do it?

Notice that artists like drake wiz khalifa and others just go to these things with prepared writtens because you're broadcasting to millions so you should be able to broadcast your a game. But even kendrick lamar's written freestyles are mediocre af so Idk if this could have been that much better
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no way that was off the top. But it was dope regardless.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill just say this: I hope that was off the top of the dome.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yall ? don't like ?

More like, y'all ? will hype up anything. This was meh, no more, no less.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yall acting like yall can freestyle better k dot and ? . Yall disgust me
  • xxCivicxx
    Yall acting like yall can freestyle better k dot and ? . Yall disgust me

This is how a freestyle should go. I could give af if it's a written or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFf5Kj-Kkg
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    It was cool. Sounded off the top at first but was obviously writtens eventually, which is fine. Nobody in here said it was fire. All this against the grain hate is wack.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

I really don't care about off the dome freestyles anymore. Hip-hop is a legitimate musical genre now and has been for decades. Noone makes a country artist or an adult contemporary artist or a heavy metal artist make up a verse over someone else's song during an interview so why do rap artists still have to do it?

Notice that artists like drake wiz khalifa and others just go to these things with prepared writtens because you're broadcasting to millions so you should be able to broadcast your a game. But even kendrick lamar's written freestyles are mediocre af so Idk if this could have been that much better

It being a legit musical genre means nothing

Live bands "freestyled" in their day way back when if they had that synergy

You pick up a miles davis cd, and hear a particular song , if u heard his band perform it live it may.not have been recognizabE

He himself said that when on tour their itinerary of songs would play out entirely differently through the course of the show, naturally...they were freestyling . Feeding off of each other n naturally flowing

Now freestyling aint for everyone, but lets not constrain our music to being static. That's white people ? . Hundred year old.compositions sounding exactly the same today as they did when concieved, that ? for suckas! (miles ? on Beethoven for that lmao) were too fluid for that...keep it impromtu and let the funk flo!
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't listened yet but if he really went off the top i gotta admit kendrick a bad man, and i dont even ? wit him like that. Most rappers to afraid to put themself out there like that. Real ?
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

It being a legit musical genre means nothing

Live bands "freestyled" in their day way back when if they had that synergy

You pick up a miles davis cd, and hear a particular song , if u heard his band perform it live it may.not have been recognizabE

He himself said that when on tour their itinerary of songs would play out entirely differently through the course of the show, naturally...they were freestyling . Feeding off of each other n naturally flowing

Now freestyling aint for everyone, but lets not constrain our music to being static. That's white people ? . Hundred year old.compositions sounding exactly the same today as they did when concieved, that ? for suckas! (miles ? on Beethoven for that lmao) were too fluid for that...keep it impromtu and let the funk flo!

And that's why the genre of jazz exists. But even those jazz artists were WELL trained in their given instrument. Jazz is the pinnacle of music imo and with that being said not everyone sounds good improvising(most people actually don't). It's easier to improvise when you have a set scale progression that you can adhere to as a base. Rappers don't really have that support system they just need to be able to rhyme which is a lot more broad of a rule.

Not everyone can freestyle coherent stories off the dome and I don't care to hear struggle freestyles, I've heard hundreds over my life and I'm sure you have to. Rap is a genre where actual musical training takes a backseat to how you use your words and I would rather most rappers today put some thought behind their words before they spit a verse even if the verse is slightly different every time

Again, I would rather hear this

@5:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2zXFu7rmxc
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Yall be hating for no reason . LOLOL
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Nobody saying this the best thing ever and Yall come in here talking about overhyping him . Like his other hair ain't good only cuz he have one or two bad ? Yall wanna say he overrated
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? was decent. No more no less. Yall ready to give him that pootie tang treatment or what?
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited March 2015
    Why are ? so hurt that we didn't find his freestyle ability to be incredible especially ally when we've heard way better from lesser artist?

I've heard way better frees from King Los to Cory Guns to Charles Hamilton to Joe Budden to Mistah Fab to even from The Everybody Hates Chris dude.

We are just being honest . We don't have to ? eat everything KL does without being able to honestly critique it.