DJ Mr Thing on finding J Dilla's 'Cold Steel' sample lol

water ur seeds
water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
Haha you can see how buzzing he was, its amazing when your digging through some records and you find something you've been after, you be like :-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSW0_ncQysg

Here the actual tune incase anyones lived under a rock lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IzLoix5s4Q

Comments

• Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw this a whole ago. Chilling.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is ether at it's finest.

Great Drop ?
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to watch this 4 times WTF!!!
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this feeling.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listen to a lot old "obscure" 70's and 80's funk/R&B,rock and Jazz groups...

and it really is like shot of adrenaline when you unintentionally run across a sample from one the greats(Premo,Dilla,Pete Rock,RZA,Madlib,Diamond D.,Q-Tip, The ALC,9th Wonder,Buckwild)

sometimes it immediately hits you.... but a lot times...you sitting there replaying that 2-3 seconds of music again racking your brain to recall what hip hop song you first heard it on.....lol

• water ur seeds
    a.mann wrote: »
    I listen to a lot old "obscure" 70's and 80's funk/R&B,rock and Jazz groups...

and it really is like shot of adrenaline when you unintentionally run across a sample from one the greats(Premo,Dilla,Pete Rock,RZA,Madlib,Diamond D.,Q-Tip, The ALC,9th Wonder,Buckwild)

sometimes it immediately hits you.... but a lot times...you sitting there replaying that 2-3 seconds of music again racking your brain to recall what hip hop song you first heard it on.....lol

Haha you called that spot on... When I first started listening to funk, I was listening to Zapp and Rodger one time and all of a sudden I was like 'Yo thats 2pac's Keep Your Head up!!!' like you say you get a buzz haha

And my memory is really bad, so like you say quite often your racking your brains the whole day trying to figure out what hip hop song sampled a certain record hahaha
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is why i miss the liner note of cd and tapes
  • a.mann
    edited March 2015
    When done properly (meaning NOT that Puffy ? where you basically just using the instrumental of the song)

Sampling is the purest form of hip-hop....is it strictly represents innovation

• RNS
    RNS Members Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    finding the sample used in a song is a amazing thing. Dilla was THAT dude on them beats too.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude was so ahead of his time. I'll do that sometimes, go on whosampled and find where they got it from. Makes me envious and inspired at the same damn time
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just stopped in to say. Dilla was other worldy.
  • a.mann
    Beyond sample clearance concerns
    the irony is,at one time merely mentioning the original artist name was harshly frowned upon...

with the internet and all...some producer (NOT ALL) not as tight lipped.

which bring me to....
    huey wrote: »
    Dude was so ahead of his time. I'll do that sometimes, go on whosampled and find where they got it from. Makes me envious and inspired at the same damn time

Dilla.

I hear tracks he sampled,and just shake my head and disbelief .

So many questions...lol
    like what mind him think THAT 2 second riff was THE ONE,
    how he did do it.........and this back in the 90's....early 2000's

• a.mann
    Dilla,Premo,RZA,Pete Rock,Madlib.....these guys are certified geniuses at this ? .
    Their patience is infinite.

Because back in the day, a lot songs were 9-10 minutes long

But these guys,listened to ALL the music....and then a light bulb goes off....
    and right there hidden between mark 8:54-8:56 is a hip hop classic ready to crafted.

• water ur seeds
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    this is why i miss the liner note of cd and tapes

Maaaaan I used to love, and still do love reading through CD booklets... Its annoying though booklets these days are schitt, quite often they are just abit of card or paper... Back in the day you could get like 6 page booklets haha