If An MC Is Influenced By Another MC, Does That Automatically Make Him Inferior To Said MC?

_Goldie_
_Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
edited March 2015 in The Reason
Ive had this discussion in previous threads, but I wanted to make an official one. I was just watching an interview with BDK naming his alltime favorite MCs. He named himself , Rakim and KRS. He then went on to name Nas, Jay, Pun, and Big and when asked why those were ranked lower , he responded by saying you could hear the influence from previous rappers in the game within their flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38jK9_pZZ4A

I say all that to ask, if an mc is influenced by another mc, does that automatically make him inferior to said mc?

If An MC Is Influenced By Another MC, Does That Automatically Make Him Inferior To Said MC? 46 votes

Yes, you can never be better than the ? who birthed your style
4%
NothingButTheTruththe known unknown 2 votes
No, the student can one day surpass his teacher
95%
a_lista.manndwade206S2Jjonoantoseegbbkg79rip.dillapower_wisdomnex ginhueyMECCA1000Karl.illedoutCJillestni99ainneGlockLesnar CoolJoeBDBIIDLPast 44 votes

Comments

• _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Nas is better than everybody that influenced him. Lupe is better than most of rappers that influenced him.
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    influence can range from biting someone's style or simply wanting to make a person pick up a mic.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every or most rap ? is influenced by those before them

It depends on how you pick and cultivate those styles to better your own

And again longevity in the game or else the masses see you as a blatant copy-cat
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    progression
    but some rappers can't be out rapped
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People could rap better, but he's measuring in terms of impact in terms of creating a foundation. It also helps that what they created is still duplicated today and they can still hold their own.
  • Jabu_Rule
    I don't think the mid to late 80s get's enough credit for lyrical impact and the foundation that was laid for all that we enjoy today. I'm not talking about creating rap, but the evolution of the sound was so immense then and the music is so timeless where as the early 80s seemed far more gimmicky and amateurish even though there were quality artist then too.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OUTKAST AND ANDRE 3000 WERE INFLUENCED BY A TRIBE CALLED QUEST AND Q-TIP

AND IN BOTH END, THE STUDENT PASSED THE TEACHER
  • Jabu_Rule
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »
    OUTKAST AND ANDRE 3000 WERE INFLUENCED BY A TRIBE CALLED QUEST AND Q-TIP

AND IN BOTH END, THE STUDENT PASSED THE TEACHER

idk about that. Lyrically yes, but music wise, i think they even. I still throw tribe on and their sound is still refreshing. Tribe was never known to be super lyrical though.
  • fuck gay-z
    fuck gay-z Members Posts: 202
    Only in the case of that ? ? Camel
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dumb question
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? ? -z wrote: »

Could you at least try and be funny for ? sake ...... trying to diguise your infatuation as hate is not working ...... smh

Oh yea ..... pause ...... word to Dame Dash
  • Jabu_Rule
    ? ? -z wrote: »

Woat galias
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is a Model T superior to a Shelby Cobra???
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some MCs are influenced by artists with completely different styles. Some are even influenced by artists from different genres.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited March 2015
    smp4life wrote: »
    dumb question

Not really, cuz there's people who have an opposing opinion on the topic . LL on the Rock The Bells documentary questioned how can someone be considered better than him if he influenced/birthed their style.

But yea, thanks for ur contribution.
  • Jabu_Rule
    dumb question

Not really, cuz there's people who have an opposing opinion on the topic . LL on the Rock The Bells documentary questioned how can someone be considered better than him if he influenced/birthed their style.

LL also made a song about being an accidental racist.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dumb question

Um, ok, look at the poll. 100% to zero
  • Jabu_Rule
    dumb question

Um, ok, look at the poll. 100% to zero

Well, some unknown fellow just changed that..
  • the known unknown
    the known unknown Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    I dont think so cause everytime i hear you rap im gonna always think of how you jack the originators style (whoever the person he jacked it from) i respect originality i cant picture somebody copying DMX and getting credit as like he better than X.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think so cause everytime i hear you rap im gonna always think of how you jack the originators style (whoever the person he jacked it from) i respect originality i cant picture somebody copying DMX and getting credit as like he better than X.

That's not the question. This isn't about style jacking. It's about influence.

• power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can surpass the teacher, but if you take his style, flow, and sound like them, then no. I never seen a rapper who sound like Pac, surpass him. Shyne and Gorilla Black never surpass Biggie. Not sure if Logic will ever surpass Drake or Kendrick. Or if Action Bronson will ever surpass Ghostface. Same with Killa Priest and Jay Electronic.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited March 2015
    You can surpass the teacher, but if you take his style, flow, and sound like them, then no. I never seen a rapper who sound like Pac, surpass him. Shyne and Gorilla Black never surpass Biggie. Not sure if Logic will ever surpass Drake or Kendrick. Or if Action Bronson will ever surpass Ghostface. Same with Killa Priest and Jay Electronic.

wtf. ok this is the second time i heard this. I'm gonna go find some killa priest tracks so i can get a feel for him without the Wu..
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look, it's Killah Priest. I spelled it wrong. And check his first album Heavy Mental, or Priesthood or the Offering. All classical albums. Also check the song Bible out. Just for starters.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Yes, in a direct comparison, he is automatically worse in my book. What's not being discussed is the subjectivity that comes with determining if one rapper birthed the next rapper.

All of the true great rappers are original acts anyhow. If they do take from someone before them, it's a slight addition and more of a melting ? kind of thing, where they take a little from a handful of MCs, rather then a straight up jack.
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    rubixcuban wrote: »
    influence can range from biting someone's style or simply wanting to make a person pick up a mic.

I thought i was the only guy who thought ilana glazer was hot. That ? can get it.