Wu-Tang Clan’s “A Better Tomorrow” Boring & “Too Soft,” Raekwon Says

smp4life
smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wu-Tang Clan’s “A Better Tomorrow” Boring & “Too Soft,” Raekwon Says
by DANIELLE HARLING

Raekwon says there’s no beef among those in Wu-Tang Clan, but adds that he won’t be joining the group on tour.

Months after Wu-Tang Clan released its sixth studio album, A Better Tomorrow, Raekwon offered a stern critique of the project. While speaking with NME.com, the Wu-Tang spitter revealed that the album felt “too soft” and “too humble.”

Rae then elaborated on his comments on the album being “too soft” by stating that he wanted to offer fans “some real ? ” on A Better Tomorrow. He explained that in the end, the project was more so tailored to RZA’s liking.

"That album felt kinda bored,” Raekwon said. “And that’s not just my opinion. The music was just too soft. Too humble. I felt like the album could have been better. I voiced my opinion, like, 'Yo, let's give them some real ? .' The album was driven more to RZA’s expectations. He was coming from one way. We was wanting to try something new."

Additionally, Raekwon revealed that he will not be touring with the group this year, and shot down any ideas that beef among those in Wu was behind his decision.

According to the rapper, management and his other obligations contributed to him being unable to tour with Wu-Tang Clan in the UK.

"I ain't going on the road with Wu-Tang this year," he said. "Fans will think it’s beef in the group, but it’s all management. I didn't know ? about the tour. They just assume I’m good to be there and put it all together, but by then I got obligations, a ? schedule. It’s frustrating, ‘cos I’d love to be there."

Raekwon is currently preparing for the release of his new album, F.I.L.A. (Fly International Luxurious Art). The album, which serves as Rae’s sixth solo album, is slated for release April 28.

Comments

• BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True.

I think I'd rather see Rae call the shots on a Wu album than RZA in 2015
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SMH...I got tickets for June 4th...

I also got tickets for Nas on the same day....Nas might be the option.
  • BobOblah
    based on his last couple albums vs the last couple Wu albums.

I'll take Rae's approach to an updated Wu sound
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lp got 1 spin from me i think miricle is the only joint on my ipod
  • the known unknown
    the known unknown Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Rae is right i was very dissapointed with this cd i felt like RZA was tynna reach the drake demographic but with a wu style and thats impossible (see what i did there....wu fans will get it).
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if he's right... Rae has a habit of ? on Wu albums after they're released. It's a bad characteristic. I never heard him own up to the Lex Diamond Story or Immobilarity.
  • BobOblah
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    Even if he's right... Rae has a habit of ? on Wu albums after they're released. It's a bad characteristic. I never heard him own up to the Lex Diamond Story or Immobilarity.

You could tell by interviews Rae didn't like this album before it came out. At one point the rumor was he wasn't even gonna be on it. Eventually he felt he had to be a team player even though he thought the ? was wack.
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed with sneakdza, sometime rae look like he got some female tendencies when it comes to how he airs his grievances. But he still 100% on this one, that better tomorrow album was weak as ? and as a lifelong wu fan it pains me to admit that. Necklace & felt were the only 2 joints that got spins from me. Extremely disappointed
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    I thought it was a solid album. I liked the mature subject matter, they're all 42+ years old they can't still be talking about the stuff they talked about on their 90's albums.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5th Letter wrote: »
    I thought it was a solid album. I liked the mature subject matter, they're all 42+ years old they can't still be talking about the stuff they talked about on their 90's albums.
    That right there.

I'd be more disappointed in the Wu if they were still on that grimy "? the world" ? at 40+ years old. They should know that artists grow up, and the music should, too.

I didn't have too many qualms with this album, but I could understand why Rae would say that.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a die hard Wu fan, I tried to front like the cd was dope. That ? is moist. Just not up to the standards that i expect.
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone in here have The general car insurance?
    You know for great low rates you can get online, go to the general and save some time?
  • $ineedmoney$
    $ineedmoney$ Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...There are 3 definite jewels on that album tho...

Necklace
    A Better Tomorrow
    Wu-Tang Reunion
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I like the album, but I still think Rae is right. ABT should have been a Rza project instead of a Wu album, and they should have given us something harder as a Wu album. An album full of joints like Necklace would have been unbelievable. Thing is, Necklace isn't one of the joints produced by Rza. As much as I love Rza as a producer, I really think him leading the last two projects is the reason fans haven't gotten what they wanted out of these albums.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...There are 3 definite jewels on that album tho...

Necklace
    A Better Tomorrow
    Wu-Tang Reunion

Interesting because, I really like, Keep watch (that joint is hard body), Miracle and Ego's.

I don't think the album is cohesive. I think Rza tried to please to many folks.

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    The chorus on Mircle sounds like some Broadway musical ? but outside of that I ? with it.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I would like to see RZA do, is go old school and remix some of them joints. Like take Miracle and throw Bilal and Jill Scott on that joint. Flip ABT to a different beat and bring in Nas.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn. Even they album before this one was ? . I'm just sayin
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like "Ruckus In B Minor." I'm sure I'm in the minority.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mister B. wrote: »
    I really like "Ruckus In B Minor." I'm sure I'm in the minority.

I like it too. It's a good song. At first I thought it was all over the place. It is, but not in a bad way. It's especially good in earphones.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never even heard the ? ..

RichNiggaTimeline>>>>>>>>

TBH
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    That's only because A Better Tomorrow was some cheap ? for the poor masses.

The wealthy and privileged 1% get to listen to the good new Wu album.