"Grown" Hip-Hop: a rising sub-genre of Rap?

Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK. As some of us on this board has crossed the 30+ plateau, we start to want more from the artists we grew up with.

Some artists have been able to transition their art to a more mature, grown-up style while still keeping their lyrical edge. Nas proved this with the pretty much-classic Life Is Good. Common's been doing this for about three albums now. Phonte's Charity Starts At Home almost deal with this exclusively, from a normal grown-man persepctive, with mortgages, kids, and what most of us "old heads" see every day. Even Wu-Tang's last LP A Better Tomorrow saw them take on rap from the perspective of grown men, no longer trying to keep pace in a young man's arena.

The question for you all is can this actually become a real respectable sub-genre of Rap, where artists no longer have to be ashamed, so to speak, of getting older? Can they use their ages of 30s, 40s, and even into the 50s, to turn it into lyrical wisdom while still staying relevant in today's (and tomorrow's) rap scene, as legendary rock bands have been able to do with Rock?

Thoughts?

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Hopefully Slick Rick will finally drop "The Adventure Continues" sometime soon...

Rumours suggested that Walters planned to release a new album, “The Adventure Continues“, in 2007.

However, in a recent XXL Magazine interview, he denied the claim.

Rick is supposedly “waiting for a market to open up for a mature audience“.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5th Letter wrote: »
    It just needs a consistent platform to showcase the artists and the music. Maybe these r&b stations can incorporate it into their rotation.

They started doing that here. The oldies station starting to play it.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stew, I had no idea you ? with Little Brother. My ? .

On topic, I ? hope so.

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator

On topic, I ? hope so.

Ever since somebody brought that album to attention in this forum back in '03, Ive been a big fan of all of their work. 1st day cops.
  • Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    the best music come from musicians that are seasoned veterans

Most of the time thats true but then you got sum rappers like Biggie & Nas who come out the gates swingin..
    That being said i gotta question, what yall think a Notorious B.I.G. album would sound like in 2015 if he was still living?
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's potential for it because this "turn up" generation isn't selling records. With J Cole and Kendrick releases doing so well, things can definitely change.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B.D.P. wrote: »

Most of the time thats true but then you got sum rappers like Biggie & Nas who come out the gates swingin..
    That being said i gotta question, what yall think a Notorious B.I.G. album would sound like in 2015 if he was still living?

we talking present tense
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cl Smooth - American Me was a slept on grown man album...
    the lane been open for a while. I don't think cats know how to approach it.
    some of my favorite rappers never grew up musically. Redman still rapping about weed. Jadakiss still a kingpin.

I always thought that the album The Main ingredient and O.C.'s word...life were grown man albums, atleast compared to a lot of the other albums dropped in 94

But to answer the question yea there is a lane, a lot of these young cats got no lyrics
  • tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life Is Good is a perfect example of how to transition into a true veteran.

I wish a lot more rappers could do this.
  • Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B.D.P. wrote: »

we talking present tense

yea
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dwade206 wrote: »
    There's potential for it because this "turn up" generation isn't selling records. With J Cole and Kendrick releases doing so well, things can definitely change.

This.

Kind of off topic, but older rappers made me think of it. I hate when a MC does an interview and they talk stuff like "I dont want to be that guy thats 50 years old and still rapping."

Why not? Its an art and something theyve been passionate about since a kid. All that life experience and feelings in your older age could probably produce some quality hip hop music. If i was a rapper I wouldnt stop making music until my voice gave out.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a lane for it. The fans need to embrace it though. ? won't change until fans realise that Hiphop is not just in the streets.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    idk I really don't think its that deep. Way I see it, ? been rapping about paying bills and realistic romances. To me, the more significant development is that you now have this entire class of relevant, active, ELITE lyricists with like 20+ years of experience under their belts. I mean Royce is probably better now than he's ever been and that's ? mind boggling. Styles P & Sean Price both reached a whole 'nother level of greatness when their voices got deeper and raspier with age. Killer Mike @ age 39 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Killer Mike @ age 27......so imagine where say, Kendrick or Cole might be in 15 years if they don't fall off. Christ.

I do think Nas is gonna be 90 years old on some B.B King ? , still outshining MCs 70 years younger lol. It'll be funny to watch the Grammys eventually kiss his ass and basically apologize profusely to him.

(Jay Z will die mysteriously before he turns 50)
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I have to say for now is, great thread!! Being 35 in June, I can definitely relate to and appreciate the topic! I've really enjoyed a lot of Nas's music (in the past few years), and funnily enough in my 20's I didn't like it, pr I should say, didn't vibe with any grown music.. but I think mentally I hadn't "grown", so often I was going for the NWA music and other more edgy ? tracks. But found I've really mellowed out in time. Noticed others mentioned the Life Is Good album, and that was a standout one for me when it dropped and even now.

Not singling Nas out though, for me any grown music is good music.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not over 30 but masta ace is one of my favorite rappers that makes great music that older people can relate to and enjoy...He just dropped a album With MF doom a few years ago that was dope

th?id=HN.608023088789456020&pid=15.1&P=0

Check it out if yall havent heard it, its pretty good...He also supposed to drop another album this year also..It would be nice if these artist can get shine in the mainstream
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    play time is over
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont like the categorization.

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Im not over 30 but masta ace is one of my favorite rappers that makes great music that older people can relate to and enjoy...He just dropped a album With MF doom a few years ago that was dope

th?id=HN.608023088789456020&pid=15.1&P=0

Check it out if yall havent heard it, its pretty good...He also supposed to drop another album this year also..It would be nice if these artist can get shine in the mainstream

Huge fan of Ace but not so much of Doom thats why I havnt heard it yet.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

On topic, I ? hope so.

@Stew been diverse up in here.