What's your definition of a classic?

Ear2DaSt
Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
What parameters do you go by to determine a classic?

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I listen to all the time.

Keyword - I
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An album/track I can listen to 5/10 years later and still enjoy it.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    1. Dope lyrics (doesn't have to be Ras Kass)
    2. Dope beats
    3. Genre defining in a positive sense
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Something I listen to all the time.

Keyword - I
    Karl. wrote: »
    An album/track I can listen to 5/10 years later and still enjoy it.

• mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Something that's still great 5-10+ years later or is a time capsule in some way.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Albums are classic for different reasons. Dre has 2 classics for 2 different reasons. Chronic 1992 was as true a classic in every sense of the word that there could ever be. Chronic 2001 was a audiophile reference album, and as well put together an album as we've seen with that many features. Some albums are timestamps, some are really high quality music. The ones that are a moment in time are the ones that I prefer to give the true title of Classic too, but there are albums out there that deserve it based on the quality of the music. GRODT was a timestamp. The culmination of a movement. A takeover of sorts. While in my opinion MBDTF was a much better album sonically, and has no real weakness. MBDTF was a better album, I just played it over the weekend wit no skips, and forgot how dope it was. GRODT was a classic would be in any hip hop encyclopedia because of the way it affected the game at the time. I could have did this in sentence, but i'm bored. Some classics are magnum opuses and some are reference points in hip hop history. Few do both, and when they do. They are the albums that we give all the credence to. Illmatic is an example. ? is another.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't listen to GRODT anymore.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GRODT sounds dated. I cant put myself back in that time period when i first heard it, but to me, a classic is something that is universally praised and not measured by any awards or anything

College Dropout is that album for me
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I can't listen to GRODT anymore.

I don't know if it makes sense, but GRODT being a classic wasn't about the music. It's a pretty good album by itself. Its status was more about everything that surrounded it, and at the time, it living up to the hype.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every track gotta be fire. You can't have a weak or wack song on a classic album. To me that ? don't make sense.

Then the album must be playable from top to bottom(excluding skits) 8-10 years later.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who said it has to be just albums?
    singles too...
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    A minimally flawed album... that has timeless replay value AND lyrical and emotional depth.

Thats it to me. IMO, you gotta have all that. MANY albums have 2 of the 4 or 3 of the 4. Imo, that type of definiton gives the stringent standards needed for the word classic. Bc otherwise, there's just too many classics and the word doent mean anything.

Imo, that type of definition rules out the Gucci Mane's, Fat Joe's, and TM101s of the world, which it should..IMO

The 'it bangs front to back' is just comical. I liked Lloyd Banks HFM2 front to back, doesnt make it classic. Bc its not 'deep'