Defining Classic

jazzybella
jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys ;;) hope everyone is having a great Monday. This is the thread where we as a collective group will officially define the all mighty word CLASSIC. We need to come up with a criteria/qualifications.... rules/regulations...or something because yall naming EVERYTHING classic before the beat even loops :-?? Everybody's opinion/view counts so be nice but have a logical explanation...don't be a d*ckrider :|
«13

Comments

  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    I have 3 criteria's one of with is subjective but this is what I do to determine if an album is classic or not.

    Dope beats- the production has to be on point.

    Dope rhymes- the lyrics has to be at least decent.

    Positive impact- did this album have an impact? Did it change the game in some way?

    If an album lacks any of the above then it's disqualified.
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5th Letter wrote: »
    I have 3 criteria's one of with is subjective but this is what I do to determine if an album is classic or not.

    Dope beats- the production has to be on point.

    Dope rhymes- the lyrics has to be at least decent.

    Positive impact- did this album have an impact? Did it change the game in some way?

    If an album lacks any of the above then it's disqualified.

    Production, does it matter who produced it? Legends or new school?

    Impact, what kind? Pro black like Kdot? Self actualization like Cole?

    How You want to judge rhymes? Bar for bar? Entire song as a whole?
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyricism, production, originality, cohesiveness, replay value.
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyricism and production seem most important....keep'em coming yall
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Production
    Replay value
    Content
    How all the songs sound / cohesiveness
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited April 2015
    timeless

    Key factor.

    Just because its the hottest album out at the time, doesnt mean its a classic. Alot of albums ? were claiming as classics the year of its release , ended up sounding dated within a couple of years. Give it time. Saying that its a great album will suffice.
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far....
    1. Production
    2. Replay value/timeless/impact
    3. Lyricism/content
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    jazzybella wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »
    I have 3 criteria's one of with is subjective but this is what I do to determine if an album is classic or not.

    Dope beats- the production has to be on point.

    Dope rhymes- the lyrics has to be at least decent.

    Positive impact- did this album have an impact? Did it change the game in some way?

    If an album lacks any of the above then it's disqualified.

    Production, does it matter who produced it? Legends or new school?

    Impact, what kind? Pro black like Kdot? Self actualization like Cole?

    How You want to judge rhymes? Bar for bar? Entire song as a whole?

    It doesn't matter who produces the beats. Impact could be the examples you used. It could be Snoop/50 Cent impact, it could be gradual impact like Reasonable Doubt.

    Bars have to be solid on the majority of the songs you can get a pass for one song (Workout Plan on College Dropout)
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hits and/or club bangers


    A classic has that one song that you can remember being at a party 5 years ago and the DJ threw that song on and the whole crowd said "hooo" and crowded the dancefloor. If you don't have that kind of impact its not a classic.

    Or stated another way, there's that one song that you can play at a party 5 or 10 years later and it will pack the dancefloor.

  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me its all about impact.

    Your album had to CHANGE the game or start up a personal run over a decade or more.

    That doesnt happen without some of the other qualities stated.

    Like take 400 degreez for an example.

    That was the album that started (IMPACT) cash moneys run.

    Had great production, a timeless hit in "back that ass up" all while painting a perfect picture from the perspective of a project youth.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If nobody listening to your ? it can still be a good album, it can be a GEM.

    But if its not shaking the game up its not a classic.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I like it a whole lot for a long time
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Lol But no one follows these metrics when they just really like a album. No one wants to be objective, they just wnat their personal favorite album to be exulted. I.e. Ghetto D is not timeless, lyrical, there aint no got damn content, but if a ngga feelin it and it mean somethin to HIM, its a universal classic.

    At the end of the day it really boils down to this
    If I like it a whole lot for a long time

    The word classic dont mean ? anymore, not here at least

  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S2J wrote: »
    Lol But no one follows these metrics when they just really like a album. No one wants to be objective, they just wnat their personal favorite album to be exulted. I.e. Ghetto D is not timeless, lyrical, there aint no got damn content, but if a ngga feelin it and it mean somethin to HIM, its a universal classic.

    At the end of the day it really boils down to this
    If I like it a whole lot for a long time

    The word classic dont mean ? anymore, not here at least

    That's why we are here....taking it back from these new aged rap listeners who consider bobby Schmurda song hot ? classic
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blacktux wrote: »
    For me its all about impact.

    Your album had to CHANGE the game or start up a personal run over a decade or more.

    That doesnt happen without some of the other qualities stated.

    Like take 400 degreez for an example.

    That was the album that started (IMPACT) cash moneys run.

    Had great production, a timeless hit in "back that ass up" all while painting a perfect picture from the perspective of a project youth.

    Co sign that example...that intro/beat can be heard by anyone and they'll know what song it is.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jazzybella wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »
    Lol But no one follows these metrics when they just really like a album. No one wants to be objective, they just wnat their personal favorite album to be exulted. I.e. Ghetto D is not timeless, lyrical, there aint no got damn content, but if a ngga feelin it and it mean somethin to HIM, its a universal classic.

    At the end of the day it really boils down to this
    If I like it a whole lot for a long time

    The word classic dont mean ? anymore, not here at least

    That's why we are here....taking it back from these new aged rap listeners who consider bobby Schmurda song hot ? classic

    I salute you then. But i just tried w/ these nggas about a week ago in basically the same thread idea, and just so you know, the following albums they consider classic:

    Busta Rhymes: ELE, When Disaster Strikes, and The Coming. Yes...all 3
    Master P: Ghetto D
    Young Jeezy: TM 101
    Project Pat: Mr. Dont Play

    rmdSx.gif

    Good luck.
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S2J wrote: »
    jazzybella wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »
    Lol But no one follows these metrics when they just really like a album. No one wants to be objective, they just wnat their personal favorite album to be exulted. I.e. Ghetto D is not timeless, lyrical, there aint no got damn content, but if a ngga feelin it and it mean somethin to HIM, its a universal classic.

    At the end of the day it really boils down to this
    If I like it a whole lot for a long time

    The word classic dont mean ? anymore, not here at least

    That's why we are here....taking it back from these new aged rap listeners who consider bobby Schmurda song hot ? classic

    I salute you then. But i just tried w/ these nggas about a week ago in basically the same thread idea, and just so you know, the following albums they consider classic:

    Busta Rhymes: ELE, When Disaster Strikes, and The Coming. Yes...all 3
    Master P: Ghetto D
    Young Jeezy: TM 101
    Project Pat: Mr. Dont Play

    rmdSx.gif

    Good luck.

    Lol if that's how some posters personally feel then great....I just wanted to define it without naming albums/artist/songs first so we can at least have a clear criteria then we can debate all day using that one criteria so it'll be fair across the board
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ? , name ya classics. And/Or name ya artist that have multiple classics.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S2J wrote: »
    Lol But no one follows these metrics when they just really like a album. No one wants to be objective, they just wnat their personal favorite album to be exulted. I.e. Ghetto D is not timeless, lyrical, there aint no got damn content, but if a ngga feelin it and it mean somethin to HIM, its a universal classic.

    At the end of the day it really boils down to this
    If I like it a whole lot for a long time

    The word classic dont mean ? anymore, not here at least




    ? you could argue with an empty room! Just shut up already
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let more posters come in and add to the discussion so that we can agree upon what actually MAKES a classic.

    Another thread can be made where posters defend an album they call classic according to those guidelines.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you aint gotta have great content or lyrics for your ? to be a classic.

    "Shake it! Shake it! Shake that healthy butt! Baby got back!"
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ? , name ya classics. And/Or name ya artist that have multiple classics.

    Not yet, we have to agree on what a classic consist of first. Drop your criteria
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you aint gotta have great content or lyrics for your ? to be a classic.

    "Shake it! Shake it! Shake that healthy butt! Baby got back!"
    And you aint gotta have great content or lyrics for your ? to be a classic.

    "Shake it! Shake it! Shake that healthy butt! Baby got back!"

    Well...that's a good observation. Anyone want to agree or disagree