San Diego Debuts Mouth Swabs To Help Detect Drivers With ? In Their System

Options
D. Morgan
D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
But authorities haven’t defined what level of drugs is over the line.

A major concern police have about state laws legalizing marijuana is how to detect when motorists may be driving under the influence of ? — or other drugs. Now, San Diego police are joining a growing number of cities relying on mouth swabs for chemical tests to help detect drivers who are on drugs.

The swabs and two portable testing machines hit the field Friday night in San Diego, reported CBS-8 TV. It’s the second city in the state after Los Angeles to use the new detection method.

The machines test for the presence of marijuana and six other drugs: ? , methamphetamine, amphetamine, methadone, opiates and benzodiazepines. The amount of the drug or level of intoxication, however, is not determined in the tests.

Law enforcement officials believe the number of impaired drivers are bound to increase with California’s legalization of marijuana. A study by the state’s Office of Traffic Safety found that 38 percent of drivers killed in car crashes in California in 2014 tested positive for drugs, legal or illegal. That was up 6 percent from the previous year.

San Diego began using the Dräger 5000 test after officials met with authorities in Colorado, which legalized marijuana for recreational use in 2014, the San Diego Tribune reported.

Canadian authorities began using similar testing swabs and machines from a different company in a pilot program in late 2016 in the city of YellowKnife, the capital of the country’s Northwest Territories.

“The goal of any of these initiatives is to save people’s lives,” said Royal Canadian Mounted Police Corporal Todd Scaplen. “And if we have further tools to be able to do that, I think it’s very important.”

Swabs with portable testing kits are also being used in New York, Arizona and Nevada, among several other states, as well as in Germany and Belgium, and Australia, notes the Tribune. Other strategies, including breathalyzers that test for drugs and apps to help police test for impairment are also on the market.

Under San Diego guidelines, police will first observe a driver to make an initial determination about possible impairment, and may require a field sobriety test like those administered to suspected ? drivers. If impairment is suspected, the motorist may then be asked to run a swab inside his or her mouth for as long as four minutes. The swab would then be tested in a portable machine and results would be available in up to eight minutes. For ? , the machine only tests for the presence of the active THC compound that causes a high. A driver can refuse the test, but then an officer can order a blood test.

As states grapple with drugs’ impact on road safety, testing strategies face several challenges. With ? , for example, a swab test might still detect the presence of the active THC compound even days after smoking, when the driver may be perfectly safe behind the wheel. On the other hand, a driver may be impaired by consuming marijuana through edible products that a saliva swab test might not detect.

The next problem states face is determining what level of drugs in a person’s system may result in dangerous driving, similar to the scale they’ve set for blood alcohol content. It’s unknown, however, if marijuana compound blood levels would be as predictive of impairment as blood alcohol levels tend to be.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mouth-swab-marijuana_us_58ce0c7ce4b0be71dcf55bc6?section=us_crime

Comments

•  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    goldenja wrote: »
    Marijuana Levels:

Kinda High
    Pretty High
    Super High
    High as ?

accurate.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wanna know how high someone is? Have someone stand infront of them and have them say their ABC's.

Then have someone come up from behind them and pat them on the shoulder and go "bruh"

If they have if they don't just turn and look...they're to high to be driving
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Rub a swab aroudn my mouth for 4 minutes? then wait another 8 minutes for the results? Order a blood test if i refuse to take test in the field? Who the ? paying for that? This ? sound like a total waste of money....po po trying way to hard to find new streams of revenue... and a new way to harass brown folks...man save that money on these lame ass testing machines and have a community day in the hood and get to know you residents

Keep dreaming. Gotta fill them prisons somehow. Especially if, legalization picks up steam.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Rub a swab aroudn my mouth for 4 minutes? then wait another 8 minutes for the results? Order a blood test if i refuse to take test in the field? Who the ? paying for that? This ? sound like a total waste of money....po po trying way to hard to find new streams of revenue... and a new way to harass brown folks...man save that money on these lame ass testing machines and have a community day in the hood and get to know you residents

Keep dreaming. Gotta fill them prisons somehow. Especially if, legalization picks up steam.

Exactly make some ? legal just to make up arbitrary laws to lock you up for it.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? arbitrary as ? and will only do more harm than good
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they're just harassing, not "testing", they're also inciting and manipulating
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have that attorney on speed dial.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, I'm fightin a bs dui case now (got arrested Feb. last year)

my bac was .06, but since I had drugs (weed & zans) in my system (that I admitted takin 3-4 days earlier), the punk ass DA tryna say even though I was under the legal limit on alcohol, I was still high on the drugs from 4 days ago

I've turned down his plea & told him get ready for trial

Hopefully my lawyer does his job, but if it goes to trial I'm fairly confident I'll be vindicated

DA needs all 12 jurors to believe him, I jus need one

& on top of all that, my phone records could prove the cop lied at the preliminary hearing

but bein a young black male (w/ long hair to boot), I kno the system is against me (or the thought of me)
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Brian B. ..... Don't put that negative in the Universe fam, u'll be good. U probably had em shook not taking the plea.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone from San Diego on the IC?

Im bout to go there for a week tryn figure out if i can buy weed or not there

Hearing conflicting reports
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    goldenja wrote: »
    Marijuana Levels:

Kinda High
    Pretty High
    Super High
    High as ?
    Naw ?
    I Don't Like This ?
    ZZZZZZZZZZZ

^^^ better.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Myndset
    Myndset Members Posts: 177 ✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Get a medical card. $39 dollars through hellomd. Call a dispensary and check if they require a CA Id some don't.

I was just out there and did that.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Myndset wrote: »
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Get a medical card. $39 dollars through hellomd. Call a dispensary and check if they require a CA Id some don't.

I was just out there and did that.

@Myndset i thought they legalized recreational tho?

U need a medicinal card to buy recreational weed?
  • Myndset
    Options
    The bill passed, but licenses for recreational distribution aren't until 2018. I've heard of some spots that are doing it but don't know of any.

Just get the medical card. Takes like 25 minutes.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Did u have to actually go to a doctor in person or is it all online for the med card?
  • Myndset
    Options
    Hellomd is a webcam based doctor. ? easy.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't know if this is true but here's a story I heard;

They tried to do a test to see how marijuana effects people's ability to drive. So they had the subjects being tested to drive around an obstacle course and tested their performance. Then they had them smoke weed and drive around the same obstacle course again. It turned out that some people drive BETTER when they're high because they're more cautious.

I know when I smoke and drive I don't even drive in the passing lane, I drive in the middle lane and make sure I'm going under 65 so the cops have no reason to stop me.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I don't know if this is true but here's a story I heard;

They tried to do a test to see how marijuana effects people's ability to drive. So they had the subjects being tested to drive around an obstacle course and tested their performance. Then they had them smoke weed and drive around the same obstacle course again. It turned out that some people drive BETTER when they're high because they're more cautious.

I know when I smoke and drive I don't even drive in the passing lane, I drive in the middle lane and make sure I'm going under 65 so the cops have no reason to stop me.

They did that experiment on Viceland.

1st time guy drove the course sober

Next he drove after 2 ? hits

He was obviously worse after smoking weed.

And Viceland is the most pro-weed tv channel there is