Do you talk about political/social issues at your job?

farris2k1
farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a job where im on my own 99% of the time so i aint really gotta worry bout even overearing some dumb ? from coworkers..and if i do gotta be around someone i dont bring any of that ? up..most of the people i know are aight but most would be on some "all lives matter" "trump hillary both bad"type ? ....try and play both sides to avoid any conflict but you know how they really leanning..nah, ? that, i get too heated anymore trying to talk to ppl in person bout ? to where i just walk away or change the subject if they try...i have no problem debating and hearing other views but if your views are from fb memes and fox news..nah id rather not even ? wit u, which is most dudes at my job cause its full of whiteboys

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Yes. And the interns have to listen to all my ? rants because they're the interns and I'm not.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to just watch and take notes.
  • MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All throughout the election I would hear some white folks talking how great Chump would be for the country. After seeing how fvkd up things are around the country theY can't even defend his ? ...it's quiet out here....they dont mention Chump in mixed company amymore...
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I work at General Motors and of course i do...there are some people that work with that voted for kkkomander n kkkief. Proving to me that tgis election had nothing to do with true political issues but rather division...
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hell no......where i work at is like me and another ? . the other 33 muthafuckas is white. white dude talked about him paying his money to his wife was ? and she didnt do anything to deserve that money.....sort of like blacks asking for reparations. they want something for nothing. idk if i had a look on my face or what but he was like so you agree with that? at first i declined because i dont want to talk about that type of ? with no damn hunkie but he kept pestering and i finally said yeah blacks should get reparations and left it like that.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not good to talk about politics or religion at work for this reason;

People will misquote you or take something you said out of context. Then they'll gossip about something that you didn't actually say. Sooner or later somebody will ask if you really made that statement, but the statement was taken out of context. Then its just a matter of time before things get uncomfortable.

There are ways to make somebody quit. They can ask you to come in at unusual hours, they can ask you to do things outside of your job description, they can give you more work than you can possibly do. They can make smart comments about you or what you said. And then its just a matter of time before you say, "? it I quit"... all because you said you support the #Black Lives Matter movement, or that you support Minister Farrakhan.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Yeah all the time and it's cordial..

we seems too be all an "MSNBC type" crowd.
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't allow my people to discuss politics or religion during their work hours.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    You ever make up a new political affiliation and see if people go for it? Like tell people you're a Salvadoran Marxist Capitalist and you believe everyone has to be poor and racist?
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marc123 wrote: »
    I make a habit of NOT discussing any politics or religion at work.

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I mess with them tough outside of work then maybe, but no in most instances unless they start getting too comfortable, then I have to go into Paul Mooney mode.
  • HerbalVaporCapers
    HerbalVaporCapers Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Sometimes. However, any time someone starts talking about Islam I let them know I'm Muslim to prevent them from saying something that's so stupid it can't be forgiven
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can't disassociate yourself when needed, only thing to be discussed at work is work.
  • DoubleShotHelix
    DoubleShotHelix Members Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No and I have it posted as strictly against work policy... Religion and politics are off limits
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes. However, any time someone starts talking about Islam I let them know I'm Muslim to prevent them from saying something that's so stupid it can't be forgiven
    Nah, you gotta start letting them ride so you can see how they really feel so you can know not to be too cool with them. Ain't nothing worse than a ? smiling in your face like ? is sweet and feeling a different kind of way.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I talk politics openly because it's NYC i assume everyone is anti Trump and if theyre pro-trump ? em, I don't care, they're wrong. Been fine so far. Idgaf about Jesus but I tread a little more lightly on religion because I do have religious friends and work friends
  • HerbalVaporCapers
    HerbalVaporCapers Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ILL wrote: »
    Nah, you gotta start letting them ride so you can see how they really feel so you can know not to be too cool with them. Ain't nothing worse than a ? smiling in your face like ? is sweet and feeling a different kind of way.

Not really putting it out there for them... It's more for me and my neverending quest of not trying to punch people in the face at work. They can think what they want but I may not be able to control my reaction if they think it's all good and say something crazy
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked all my coworkers who they voted...then I told them I need time know who I'm spending the majority of my day around
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some times.

The sh*t thats been going on the last 8 months has been so outlandish that a lot of times its unavoidable.