Mental Health Thread: What's your take on Therapy and the whole psychosocial industry?

LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've got a lot of demons, and I found out my insurance will cover part of therapy / psychiatry. I have a lot of demons fighting me on substance issues and other stuff and really wanna find some way to use my insurance to pay for a portion of the help I seek.

But I also know a lot of therapy is a crock of ? .

What's your guys' take on this stuff? Does it work? Am i better off going to a less educated counselour for similar services? Could I just improve myself as well w mee mediation?

Comments

• blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It didnt help me because....ok lets say i know whats your all they give you is medication
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen the benefits but I'm also obsessed with how the brain reacts and copes with different stressors. I know some people dont view it as a science but it's certainly made up of enough hard science to qualify as medical science to me. Then again, how often will you hear a psychiatrist say, "Sorry, I dont think I can assist you with this," instead of stringing someone along until their insurance or personal finances are exhausted. So I get why people think it's bs.

I'll probably need therapy in different periods throughout the course of my life. I was a basket case in college and I'm just a highly anxious person naturally.
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really depends on the psychiatrist I'd reckon...just like other doctors, not all are good at what they do.

Only been to one twice...? helped tremendously. I always try to improve myself, believe I can will power my way through everything but at the time I guess one could say I needed an outsider to help me out n put ? in perspective.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id say go for it. Whatever it is it cant make you any worse and if it works out you reap the benefits.

I would just do my research and maybe get a second opinion if they tey to put me on pills
  • PureYang
    PureYang Members Posts: 520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    From personal experience therapy is not a crock of ? , man.

If you're going to go Into it with that mindset, I suggest you not waste their time or yours. Don't go

It worked very well for me personally.

It all depends on the caliber of your therapist and your chemistry with them
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems there's an overwhelming majority that says it helps

i appreciate the feedback guys. Im gona start my dbt next week
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    I think for the most part its a long con.

Kinda like dental work.

They can easily solve ? in months but choose to take years.

A well established PT can solve most peoples "issues" in weeks due to the fact that many people go thru the exact same ? , minus a few variables here and there.

Case and point

https://youtu.be/ZMplRnotp8M

Great movie.

Nah...
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ours minds are very clever little ? . Nearly all thoughts are connecting to a "thought tree" branching all the way back to subconscious, new things that cannot be associated to old branches get new branches and then things start getting attached to that. Anyway back to the clever mind, it knows when you're trying to correct ? , it's defiant, it puts up blocks, throws other thoughts at you to distract you, anything to keep things hidden from your conscious mind for whatever reason it feels the need to hide it(the reason is also hidden). Therapy is good imo in that they are an outsider, your mind cannot suppress their questions and hide things way. It helps you to understand your mind. I'm more a fan of cognitive therapy as I'm big proponent of the mind being little more than a machine, like a computer.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blackrain wrote: »
    Some of the things she tells me her clients have dealt with in their lives w/o any sort of support system or help is crazy.

Exactly why I couldn't ? with one. I don't want my life being told to somebody else without my consent. That's that trust ? .
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I don't think that ? works - for me anyway.

Talk to a MF for an hour a week, and one day you're supposed to break down in tears and have some breakthrough ?

Pay a MF to keep writin ? , looking at the time, while momentarily asking you "and why do you think that is ?" and "how did that make you feel ?"

Nah I'm cool.

I've been wondering about hypnosis too - that ? seems fake as hell.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are paralells in our thinking. you'd be surprised to know...you think like many others.
    get as much help as you need.

fukk what people say that ain't trynna hell your situation.

at least you are taking responsibility an accountability for yourself.

props
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually just withdraw, change my thoughts or legally self medicate (Hennessy, Newports etc).
  • 7figz
    Oh yeah, no doubt - not to say it doesn't work for others or won't work for you. By all means, do you.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    dwade206 wrote: »
    I usually just withdraw, change my thoughts or legally self medicate (Hennessy, Newports etc).

so you hide an mask your problems... only to sober up an they still be there...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    @LordZuko come bless us with how this is how ? get money an set men up
  • 7figz
    @LordZuko come bless us with how this is how ? get money an set men up

Marriage counseling ?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    7figz wrote: »

Talk to a MF for an hour a week, and one day you're supposed to break down in tears and have some breakthrough ?

Pay a MF to keep writin ? , looking at the time, while momentarily asking you "and why do you think that is ?" and "how did that make you feel ?"

Nah I'm cool.

Don't waste your money, it works but probably not for your mind. You seem unwilling to give control of your mind to someone else.
  • 7figz

Nah I'm cool.

Don't waste your money, it works but probably not for your mind. You seem unwilling to give control of your mind to someone else.

Lol, damn it's like that ?

And here I am considering myself pretty open-minded.
  • BiblicalAtheist

Nah I'm cool.

That's what someone said to me who had been under hypnosis, I consider myself open minded too but ain't no ? way someone is putting my conscious mind to sleep to "dig around" my mind. I did try when I was younger with those stage hypnosis guys(idk how real that ? is) but it didn't work for me and got off the stage. And unless half the people I personally knew on stage were in on it ? looked real.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never tried it so i cant say if it helps.

But some of those books in the self help section at the book store can really teach u a few things about how your mind works n how to deal with some of your issues.

Regardless everyone should have someone they can talk to when theyre feeling down. If u have trouble opening up to close ones maybe a therapist is a good idea.
  • 7figz

Nah I'm cool.

That's what someone said to me who had been under hypnosis, I consider myself open minded too but ain't no ? way someone is putting my conscious mind to sleep to "dig around" my mind. I did try when I was younger with those stage hypnosis guys(idk how real that ? is) but it didn't work for me and got off the stage. And unless half the people I personally knew on stage were in on it ? looked real.

Oh you must've meant the hypnosis. I thought you were saying I was beyond mental help in general. Was like damn.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go once a week