Maxwell and Sade - SALES

Options
Mrslim1
Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
There has been alot of talk about how artist cant sell any records in this new selling environment. Maxwell was gone for 8 years and was able to sell 316,000 his first week . More than Mariah, Whitney , Trey Sings etc. He headlined a sold out nationwide arena tour and picked up 2 Grammys. Sade is on the verge of selling close to 400,000 her first week after being gone for 9/10 years. And most likely go on a sold out arena tour. Does this prove that if you make quality , timeless music and build a fanbase you will be able to sell albums and sell out tours no matter what the sale environment is ? And what does this say about the quality of music these new artist are making , when they cant sell records or tours ?

Comments

• marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    it speaks to the quality of popular music today but I also think it has a lot to do with their core audience not being as download savvy as younger audiences lol
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It definitely says alot about some so-called artists today. I think some people loose perspective once they get that one big single or album. Its ironic because you can tell some artists get caught up in the sales and rush to put out an album because maybe their last album didn't do so well. But true artists whose last concern is sales can still sell record numbers. If anything maybe record companies will start taking a second and third look at who they take on...then again, like they give a ? about making quality music over a quick buck.

I give props to artists like Anthony Hamilton, Teedra Moses and even Solange who don't get that big shine but still put out quality music. Those are the type of artists that may struggle initially as far as sales, but in the end will build a strong fan base who will support them because of the quality of their music. Some kids of this generation have no clue what quality music is. And that's why I commented in the other thread that I'm glad Sade made an appearance on 106th and Park.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Fanbase is the key to success imo, you have to know who they are and cater to them. R Kelly forgot who his fanbase is and is tryna be like these young boys, as a result the ? has only sold 200 plus thousand to date.
  • t. webb
    t. webb Members Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    *just copped Sade's latest

what kinda sales did Whitney and Mariah have? :unno

I thought Whitney had a nice lil first week....
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    t. webb wrote: »
    I thought Whitney had a nice lil first week....

Whitney sold 301,000 week one after a appearance on Oprah. Mariah , i Think did less than 200 week 1
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It definitely says alot about some so-called artists today. I think some people loose perspective once they get that one big single or album. Its ironic because you can tell some artists get caught up in the sales and rush to put out an album because maybe their last album didn't do so well. But true artists whose last concern is sales can still sell record numbers. If anything maybe record companies will start taking a second and third look at who they take on...then again, like they give a ? about making quality music over a quick buck.

I give props to artists like Anthony Hamilton, Teedra Moses and even Solange who don't get that big shine but still put out quality music. Those are the type of artists that may struggle initially as far as sales, but in the end will build a strong fan base who will support them because of the quality of their music. Some kids of this generation have no clue what quality music is. And that's why I commented in the other thread that I'm glad Sade made an appearance on 106th and Park.

The artists you mentioned may not get big week one sales but they have a fanbase that will support them no matter what. They will go see them in concert. And you can teel the music is quality because unlike these new artist that release 2 singles before their album comes out . Maxwell and Sade put out one single and sold huge week 1 . Their fanbase know they are going to get a quality product . Even if the album is not the artist best its still better than the rest of this bs by miles .
  • supern0va_
    supern0va_ Members Posts: 214
    edited February 2010
    Options
    *just copped Sade's latest

what kinda sales did Whitney and Mariah have? :unno

Whitney sold 305,000 first week and has sold 927,372 copies in the US as of last week. Here's where she was on last week's chart...
    139 HOUSTON*WHITNEY I LOOK TO YOU 3,802 3 3,684 927,372

Mariah sold 168,000 first week and has sold 420,693 as of last week. Here's where she was on last week's chart...
    107 CAREY*MARIAH MEMOIRS OF AN IMPERFECT ANGEL 5,401 -5 5,689 420,693
  • supern0va_
    supern0va_ Members Posts: 214
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Maxwell and Sade have devoted fanbases....something these new artists today cannot achieve because they release catchy or ? music that no one wants to listen to a couple months later. It's still possible for new artists to sell...they just need to be talented and their label has to be willing to give them that extra push with promotion. Melanie Fiona is a great example of good music selling.

33 FIONA*MELANIE BRIDGE 16,106 59 10,143 165,904 (last week)

She hasn't had much promotion, but word of mouth, etc. is helping her to increase her sales each week.
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    supern0va_ wrote: »
    Maxwell and Sade have devoted fanbases....something these new artists today cannot achieve because they release catchy or ? music that no one wants to listen to a couple months later. It's still possible for new artists to sell...they just need to be talented and their label has to be willing to give them that extra push with promotion. Melanie Fiona is a great example of good music selling.

33 FIONA*MELANIE BRIDGE 16,106 59 10,143 165,904 (last week)

She hasn't had much promotion, but word of mouth, etc. is helping her to increase her sales each week.

Melanie has the potential to have mainstream appeal while making good music. Her debut was not particularly my flavor but I can definitely appreciate the album.
  • J. Rob
    J. Rob Members Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The decline in the quality of music is a bigger factor than people think (or want to admit) it is when is comes to the decline in record sales.
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    J. Rob wrote: »
    The decline in the quality of music is a bigger factor than people think (or want to admit) it is when is comes to the decline in record sales.

Cosign 100%. Artist need to just make better music . If the music was better they would have a stronger conection with their fans. This music today is so superficial you cant connect with a artist past 1 or 2 songs.
  • blatin35
    blatin35 Members Posts: 176
    edited February 2010
    Options
    They both did great because they have a solid fan base and they were gone for over 8 years. The real test is if they release another album 2 years from now. I Sade wont but Maxwell is supposed to release part 2 of his 3 cd set either this year or next. Whitney sold that much too because she was gone for so long.
  • kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    this might migh bring D'Angelo & Lauryn Hill off of their 10+ years hiatus'. Those are two artist with strong fan bases like Sade,Maxwell,&Whitney Houston. if they were to drop D'Aneglo aint doing no less than 320k first week with a good lead single and Lauryn Hill is going Gold first week. i also think Janet is gearing up for a real comeback sells-wise.
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    blatin35 wrote: »
    They both did great because they have a solid fan base and they were gone for over 8 years. The real test is if they release another album 2 years from now. I Sade wont but Maxwell is supposed to release part 2 of his 3 cd set either this year or next. Whitney sold that much too because she was gone for so long.

I disagree with some of this statement. I think these artist would have sold no matter how long they were gone from the scene . Maxwell , Sade and Whitney all have had number one albums before their breaks. All were able to sell out concerts from coast to coast before the break. Another aspect these artist have that others dont , is the ability to perform live. If you have that you fans will always support you.
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    People these days are not as stupid as the record companies want us to believe. We know what good music is and we will support it. Fads and trends are seen a mile away. There are cases where garbage does slip through the cracks lately.
  • J. Rob
    J. Rob Members Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    TANGLUNG wrote: »
    People these days are not as stupid as the record companies want us to believe. We know what good music is and we will support it. Fads and trends are seen a mile away. There are cases where garbage does slip through the cracks lately.

People would be appalled if they knew how dumb the record companies think they are
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    people havent heard from these artists in years so of course they gonna sell well cause they make good music.i wish more artists like jodeci and Blackstreet come out
  • dimples
    dimples Members Posts: 29
    edited February 2010
    Options
    TANGLUNG wrote: »

This is true. Mainstream seems to generally eat up the ? /generic music that is put out there (eg Kesha...), but they can't really be blamed because that is what seems to get the hard promotion. But the joke is really on the record company/wack artist cause young'ns buy these dumb singles but not the album of that artist. But an artist with quality music and a LOYAL fanbase will shift albums.
    2mil of a single downloaded = far less money than 2mil of an album downladed/bought. I know which I'd prefer, hence why artists like Sade will never get dropped by their labels even if they have 'flop' singles.
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    CzySxyCool wrote: »
    MAXWELL.... again hes a true definition of an artist,,, anytime you go missin for year and pop up like bam 300,000 albams in one week thats an artist... *so biased*

Hey I am biased too. I think Maxwell is the best soul singer of this generation.