Mom Jailed For Sending Kids to Better School

Options
bootsy_jenkins
bootsy_jenkins Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in The Social Lounge
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/mom-jailed-for-sending-kids-to-better-school-23973624

"An Ohio mother has been jailed for allegedly giving false information in order to enroll her kids in a better suburban school district than where they live. Summit County Judge Patricia Cosgrove sentenced Kelley Williams-Bolar to five years in prison last week, but suspended all but 10 days, the Akron Beach Journal reports. She is expected to be freed this week, but will be on probation for three years and must perform 80 hours of community service. At issue is Kelley Williams-Bolar's decision four years ago to send her two daughters to a highly ranked school in neighboring Copley-Fairlawn School District, where her father lives, instead of the urban Akron district where they live in government-subsidized housing. The 40-year-old single mother and high school teaching assistant has served nine days of her sentence.

"It's overwhelming. I'm exhausted," she tells ABC News."I did this for them, so there it is. I did this for them." The Beacon Journal says her father lives in the Copley-Fairlawn district and that her daughters spend time there, but do not officially live in the district. Complicating the issue are questions about whether she violated voter registration laws and public housing regulations. The district hired a private investigator, who shot video showing Williams-Bolar driving her children into the district, ABC says. The school officials asked her to pay $30,000 in back tuition. The judge said that in sentencing Williams-Bolar she wanted to deter others from defrauding other school districts."

Let this be a lesson to you. Stay your ass in the hood.

**UPDATE**You can sign a petition to help her appeal at the link below

http://criminaljustice.change.org/petitions/view/gov_kasich_pardon_ms_kelley_williams-bolars_unfair_sentencing_for_fraud_and_theft

Comments

This discussion has been closed.