Living in the projects/poor quality school districts.....why not just move?

Options
FieldTripsToTheHood
FieldTripsToTheHood Members Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
I can appreciate the financial impact a move makes. I've moved 21 times in 13years. Twice across country.

I read/hear about poor districts and crime, drugs, and whatever urban dilemma plagues today's urban areas. I can't believe people continue to live in these places for extended periods of time, sometimes raising generations in the areas mentioned.

Why knowing its a toxic situation for you and your family would you continue to live there?

Now I know I'm white and your gonna say WTF do I know about being poor? A little. I'm thoroughly blue collar and never been well off. I'e worked for everything I have.

You might say I live in a suburb....so shut the ? up. Well, let me pose this question...

Why when the poor families in question are on section 8, 40B, or any other type of social assistance, don't they move to a suburb and take advantage of those programs in a better city or district?

Take my city...Predominantly white, heavy Puerto Rican, Dominican etc... population. They have settledin quite nicely. Setting up their own cultural part of the city in their neighborhoods. Signs in spanish, cultural centers, etc... My city has NUMEROUS developments sprouting up and actually is going through a civic makeover. Affordable housing laws mean even though the market rate for units is TopTier there has to be a certain number of units deemed affordable. Why wouldn't you move into one of these places first chance you got?

My point is...they got fed up with living in sub par conditions and took advantage of the same programs they already use just in a better city.

Why isn't this a normal practice? It almost seems like it is a badge of honor to live in a ? neighborhood.

The Ohio mom in jail for 10days for fraudlant enrollment in another school district is the reason I made this thread...why couldn't she just have moved to a better school district?

Comments

• Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    it take about 3000 dollars to move. first month, last month, then moving fees. we already live check to check with ? ass bills and by the time we save up the money, something happens like the car break down or somebody get sick or needs to borrow.

it aint easy. Ive never been thru it, but i know it goes on. Then you gotta find a good hood. I dont want to live amongst white people and i want to live in a hood in my city with mostly black people. not saying that im gonna be "neighborly" but i know what i "would get" by living with my peoples.

it just aint that easy.

and moving into a house, its way more household bills monthly that renters dont even have to deal with.

its a process. alot of planning. and wont happen when the idea sparks your mind.
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    edited January 2011
    Options
    But if you were that serious about it/ concerned about it, willing to go to jail for it...isn't a little planning worth it?

And FWIW, out of all my moves? It cost no where near $3000. And if your in public housing there is no real first last security.
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    edited January 2011
    Options
    and I'm talking public housing, renters, and homeowning....affordable housing options are out there no matter your situation.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Some people cant.... instead of writing a long winded response..... others... .just wont.....
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Some people cant.... instead of writing a long winded response..... others... .just wont.....

I was hoping you would expand on "can't" I can understand 'won't" without further explanation.
  • jefe_asombroso
    jefe_asombroso Members Posts: 100
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think it's sad for you to believe that it's that easy. Remember, the American Dream wasn't built for the poor...
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I was hoping you would expand on "can't" I can understand 'won't" without further explanation.

Fairly obvious.. some people dont have the means.. whether its savings/a job that pays enough, may not be privy to certain information that could help them move.. others have no desire, comfortable where they are at dont know better dont want better.

Some people just cant pick up and move.. not matter what the situation is.. and once upon a time some of these neigborhoods weren't the neighborhoods that they are now.. you can chalk that up to a multitude of factors..
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    not everybody was born wit a platinum card....you kno there is some po folks - no jamie foxx
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    But if you were that serious about it/ concerned about it, willing to go to jail for it...isn't a little planning worth it?

And FWIW, out of all my moves? It cost no where near $3000. And if your in public housing there is no real first last security.

well, i guess my quality of living is more than yours. if u are disputing that point i made about the 3g's u spend with apt living.

and I dont do "public housing" because i cant and i wont qualify and i wouldnt even i wanted to. I dont even want to live near section 8 people. but u gone get it from me because you are disagreeing for the sake of it.
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm living in a suburb, I own now, but used to rent up until then. I'm not disagreeing for the sake of it. And for the most part we aren't the ones this topic is about.
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    edited January 2011
    Options
    For the record, I'm not saying anything is easy...I respect the struggle. My family used to. I'm saying once you know if toxic for you and your family aren't you doing everything you can to leave?
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    edited January 2011
    Options
    my question addresses the 20% ...more so the ones that settle for that lifestyle.

Congrats on the success your family found. That's great to hear.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Kay. wrote: »
    Social pressures more often then not.
    If you grow up seeing the people around you live and die in your circumstances, and cant differentiate yourself from them. You'd have a hard time seeing how you could get out.
    It's why a lot of poor youth are pinning their hopes on being an entertainer, because those are the visible success stories. Not Doctors, or lawyers, or anyone who pursued post-secondary education using their brains alone.
    Instead it's Jay-Z, 50, Lebron, etc.
    Poor conditions=poor education. They may have access to opportunities, but no one bothers to teach how to use them to their benefit. Clearly their parents didn't know how to, and no one else they live around knows how to, so they may not expect themselves to figure it out.

And thanks :)
    hey love....
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    why are you asking questions like this when you obviously aint black and i know mad white people that lives just as bad as the blacks. so quit it dude. if you aint gone open your mind then just stop making threads trolling. just go somewhere and sit down. damn. racist ass cracka
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Hello ? , How're you?

i'm good how u been I see u looking good ...

its not as vibrant without that fine avi pic poppin up everyday around here ...
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    edited January 2011
    Options
    drtycity wrote: »
    why are you asking questions like this when you obviously aint black and i know mad white people that lives just as bad as the blacks. so quit it dude. if you aint gone open your mind then just stop making threads trolling. just go somewhere and sit down. damn. racist ass cracka

I'm not black your right. I never said anything about this being a black problem. Not once. And cause I'm white I can't ask a valid question? I'm in here with an open mind but just saying money is the lone barrier is BS.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Lol, why thank you sir.
    Busy with school I guess, and honestly, sometimes I just get bored. I miss the debates there used to be on the IC.
    Now it's just roasting for no real reason. I always feel bad for the roasted :(

dont feel bad for them its all entertainment in the end ....

yea there hasn't been no debating going on .... its starting to slowly pick up again though so who knows ..

how is canada treating u ?
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    drtycity wrote: »
    i need ?

i need a 3sum
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ? is lazy, that's all it is. No muhfuckin excuses for ?
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Fairly obvious.. some people dont have the means.. whether its savings/a job that pays enough, may not be privy to certain information that could help them move.. others have no desire, comfortable where they are at dont know better dont want better.

Some people just cant pick up and move.. not matter what the situation is.. and once upon a time some of these neigborhoods weren't the neighborhoods that they are now.. you can chalk that up to a multitude of factors..
    ^ this.

And this is just another ? making a "it's all u nigger's fault and I'm too white and stubborn to consider other factors and no matter what answer I get I wont be satisfied" thread.
  • thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yeah. I mean all people are doing is being lazy. Thats the whole reason why ghettos exist. Becuase people just dont have the will power to move out of them

Thats exactly it.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    it take about 3000 dollars to move. first month, last month, then moving fees. we already live check to check with ? ass bills and by the time we save up the money, something happens like the car break down or somebody get sick or needs to borrow.

it aint easy. Ive never been thru it, but i know it goes on. Then you gotta find a good hood. I dont want to live amongst white people and i want to live in a hood in my city with mostly black people. not saying that im gonna be "neighborly" but i know what i "would get" by living with my peoples.

it just aint that easy.

and moving into a house, its way more household bills monthly that renters dont even have to deal with.

its a process. alot of planning. and wont happen when the idea sparks your mind.
    Darxwell wrote: »
    ^ this.

And this is just another ? making a "it's all u nigger's fault and I'm too white and stubborn to consider other factors and no matter what answer I get I wont be satisfied" thread.

dont see the point in making a point when its already been done 3x already.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Some are conditioned. When they tore the projects down here in the Chi and moved people around a lot of them still returned to the projects. This one young lady that was 23 and had 4 kids said it was too quiet where she was and not as chaotic, so she still went to the projects. Just last month they had to put a lady and her 6 kids and some of her grandkids out of Cabrini Green. She was refusing to go and she said "this is all I know, I'm scared of what's out there"
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Who would've thought the solution was so simple.

This ? is groundbreaking.icon14.gif