Folks with Caribean parents...

Options
Chillin&Postin
Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
edited January 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
what is the purpose of the living room???

I got a Haitian homie who is like a cousin to me.
known him all my life,
but i dont think i ever sat in his parent's living room.

Then i noticed it wasnt jus him.
Its damn near all the carib folks i meet.

they wont sit in the living room.But they will sit yo ass down in the back yard or the kitchen.

the living room is called the living room for a reason

Comments

• gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    its for presentation and for guests(important enough) its to be kept clean and if u have no business in there stay yo ass out.

ofcourse this is a generalisation but still....
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited January 2011
    Options
    presentation???

presentation to who???

if no one sits in there then its not really being presented.

i swear my homie still got the plastic on the couches from like '92
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    how the houses r set up back home is the first thing u see entering or walking by a house is the veranda/porch then the living room. sometimes functions r held there or get togethers. bottomline if u dont want ? talking bad bout your house and u a clean person keep yo area cleaned.
  • DatNiggaB1
    DatNiggaB1 Members Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    My grandmama house still got the plasitc on the sofas in the living room. Strictly for show. IDK why they be like that.
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    For the longest time you couldn't sit in the living room at my mother's house. She had bought new couches and she would of cuss ras if you got to close to them.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    t/s that's not in caribbean family homes. ? that's in just about every black folks home lol.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    DatNiggaB1 wrote: »
    My grandmama house still got the plasitc on the sofas in the living room. Strictly for show. IDK why they be like that.

? , MY house still has the plastic on it sofas as we speak lol
  • Saboi 10.5
    Saboi 10.5 Members Posts: 542
    edited January 2011
    Options
    its true, when i was growing up my dad had the only key to the living room, we only used it when people came over
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    what is the purpose of the living room???

I got a Haitian homie who is like a cousin to me.
    known him all my life,
    but i dont think i ever sat in his parent's living room.

Then i noticed it wasnt jus him.
    Its damn near all the carib folks i meet.

they wont sit in the living room.But they will sit yo ass down in the back yard or the kitchen.

the living room is called the living room for a reason

thats not a Haitian thing.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    my parents the same way...living room all white everything. they dont sit in there for nothing. the TV is in the "den" where the regular couches are. smh

wierd...yes i know. never understood why
  • phantom0900
    phantom0900 Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    We got the living room, family room, dining room and kitchen. The TV is in the family room, regular dinners are eaten in the kitchen. The living room is where we put the christmas tree, and nice family pictures, the dining room is only used for holiday or special occasions, all the nice china is in there.

This is standard american protocol tho, not just west indie folks.
  • zoepian
    zoepian Members Posts: 991
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i thought it was jus a black thing... i remember back in the days it was strioctly forbidden to go sit on those couches... now it aint as bad.. i could chill up in there now.. but i got used to it that it dont even interest me like that... got too confortable wit the roomw it the playstation..
  • sammm
    sammm Members Posts: 1,139
    edited January 2011
    Options
    That's just period.
    I thought I was gonna see some real west Indian ? lol.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It's decoration, kind of how your momma has those good towels in the bathroom that we can't use.
  • sabretooth
    sabretooth Members Posts: 12
    edited January 2011
    Options
    LOL

My friend's mom had a the living room for guests that was locked so we couldn't get at it. Typical plastic on furniture , no tv, just really nice table and shiny wood flooring.

Annoyingly there was a glass bowl with candy in it. I literally used to press my face on the door longingly staring at the candy, knowing the were only for adult guests. haha

They had a real living room with tv and it was always a mess.
  • The_Recruiter
    The_Recruiter Members Posts: 289
    edited January 2011
    Options
    lol @ the plastic on the couches. i hate when you sit on them and they stick to your thighs

dont even try to get up too fast. its a process you gotta go thru just to get outta them chairs
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    my Guyanese peoples are well known for this ? . My stepfather's relatives all had the "good furniture" in the living room with plastic covers on 'em AAAAAAND they all had them plastic roll-up walking mats on the ? floor, makin a trail through there that you walked on. No shoes in that piece either.

Their basements, on the other hand, is were the TV and ? was at. Always finished basements, all of 'em had a bar and bar stools off to the side, and that's where the raggedy ass furniture was at.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    this is a west african thing too.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    That was the "entertainment" room
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    oh, if you wasn't a real guest of the house, you NEVER EVER... EVAH EEEEVAH EVER... use the front door to enter the crib, always the back/side door
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    This is also a geeche/country thing as well. i have the luxury of having both an island and country background. and growing up in the old house on 5th, the living room would serve no functioning purpose because there was literally nowhere to sit. most of the furniture that would be in the living room was out on the front porch
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited January 2011
    Options
    oh, if you wasn't a real guest of the house, you NEVER EVER... EVAH EEEEVAH EVER... use the front door to enter the crib, always the back/side door

damn

known him for 20+ years and im not a real guest

i have never had the honor of using the front door

always get shuffled to the back
  • bugsy0911
    bugsy0911 Members Posts: 373
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm West Indian, grew up in Trinidad and Tobago until I moved to New York as an adult and the living room is really for entertaining adults. Like at Christmas or Easter when you had guests over. The living room is always well kept because you're always expecting guests. My siblings and our friends would hangout in the family room and play video games but if my mom had church friends over or my dad had his friends over, they would entertain them in the living room. Basically, it's for grown folks. When I'm at home, I don't even think my friends use the front door or hangout in the living room at my parents house and I'm 30.
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    lived in my house about 9 years and I've probably sat in my living room 9 times. No lie.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    zoepian wrote: »
    i thought it was jus a black thing... i remember back in the days it was strioctly forbidden to go sit on those couches... now it aint as bad.. i could chill up in there now.. but i got used to it that it dont even interest me like that... got too confortable wit the roomw it the playstation..

. .