Is setting a good example the best way to go about changing opinions?

Options
Dupac
Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
This is what i've been thinking more and more...

and I've seen results from it....once me and my lady were talking and, she has two little brothers that are like 19 &21

and these little ? definitely have their moments.....but she was talking to one of them one day and he was telling her something like.. he feel like he needa start treating women like how i treat his sister...

he sees the way we interact, and how our relationship goes.. and before us he's never seen a relationship work like that...and that's for the most part what he wants out of a chick....

when she told me that, it kinda tripped me out, cuz you can sit there and talk to people all day long... and it may go in one ear and out the other...

but when u really lead your life setting the kinda example of the things you would like to see.. it's much more effective...

i forgot who said it but i remember hearing the quote "Be the change you want to see in the world"

thoughts?

Comments

• gibbsboy
    gibbsboy Members Posts: 282 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    agree....people have to want to change as well...
  • Mr.Audigier216
    Mr.Audigier216 Members Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    True and false...some people ain't gon give two ? bout what they see or hear they gon do they own thing anyway
  • The_Recruiter
    The_Recruiter Members Posts: 289
    edited January 2011
    Options
    true. lead by example and all that good jazz
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    This is what i've been thinking more and more...

and I've seen results from it....once me and my lady were talking and, she has two little brothers that are like 19 &21

and these little ? definitely have their moments.....but she was talking to one of them one day and he was telling her something like.. he feel like he needa start treating women like how i treat his sister...

he sees the way we interact, and how our relationship goes.. and before us he's never seen a relationship work like that...and that's for the most part what he wants out of a chick....

when she told me that, it kinda tripped me out, cuz you can sit there and talk to people all day long... and it may go in one ear and out the other...

but when u really lead your life setting the kinda example of the things you would like to see.. it's much more effective...

i forgot who said it but i remember hearing the quote "Be the change you want to see in the world"

thoughts?

Yes. People will continually adopt and reject various identities as they progress through life. I think a better question is not if one can change but if it is in one's best interest to change. But one's attitudes and behaviors can be changed if a person wants it. The change must come from within, not in words.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    True, as Augdigier said some people are gonna do what they want anyway..those are the unreasonable.. but it definitely fairs better to lead by example.. you can't get "caught slippin" by doing what you should do.. Words on the other hand are frivolous.. and are only good as the action behind it. People are malleable.. nature/nurture
  • Dupac
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i honestly believe people who "don't want to change" fall in the category of the "follow the leader" crowd.....

they don't want to change because what they're constantly doing is deemed "cool" by a bulk of others... when enough people stop trying to change people, and only concern themselves with their personal betterment.. eventually those doing well will outweigh those who are stuck on the ? ....

basically when we finally arrive to the point where a majority of people's mindset is stuck on betterment and positive change..... they are the "new cool"...and the new cool can start a whole movement of change.... to the point where even the weak minder followers will have no choice but to stick to what they've always been doing..... "follow the leader"

just a theory....but we need to make a positive mindset the new cool....
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    yes because for some people, seeing is believing. I know there's a lot of ? my dad told me but I didn't understand what he was saying until I saw a real example.
  • Mr.Audigier216
    Mr.Audigier216 Members Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i honestly believe people who "don't want to change" fall in the category of the "follow the leader" crowd.....

they don't want to change because what they're constantly doing is deemed "cool" by a bulk of others... when enough people stop trying to change people, and only concern themselves with their personal betterment.. eventually those doing well will outweigh those who are stuck on the ? ....

basically when you have a majority of people who's mindset is stuck on betterment.. they are the "new cool" and even the weak minder followers will have no choice but to "follow the leader"

I def agree tho
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

basically when you have a majority of people who's mindset is stuck on betterment.. they are the "new cool" and even the weak minder followers will have no choice but to "follow the leader"

I think is that people tend to feel safer in a crowd. Some people are scared to stand on there own. Also if we look at the people who do stand on there own, in the beginning they were shunned and shut out because they don't follow the norms of society, they don't get down with the program like everybody else, they simply follow their own path. This is of the top phobias in today's society. I find it more exhilarating when I stand on my own. I myself is a lone wolf/homebody individual, laid back person, I enjoy my own company. Doesn't bother me one bit.
  • CrownChakra
    CrownChakra Members Posts: 351
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Enthusiasm is contagious. All you have to do is keep doing what your doing with enthusiasm. If they see something unstoppable about what your doing then they will notice and put you above the rest. You barely have to say a word and get people to change and Ive done it personally. I dont go around trying to get people to act like me but some people do it anyway.
  • Dupac
    edited January 2011
    Options
    people are too afraid of being wrong or singled out, you're right...

one of the quickest defense mechanisms is to blame shift on someone else....

"why did you do that? what is wrong with you?"

"ray-ray do it all the time, i don't see nobody yelling at ray-ray!!!!"
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    true, a persons actions will speak louder than words. When I'm at war with the racist bigots at cnn, they always pull the statistics out of their ass. Sometimes i can't argue my points because they got me by the ? with the statics that are actually happening. Other times, the numbers are in my favor when people are living like civilized human beings. But there are some people that can't see past their own point of reference; like the people that still look down at michael vick and how he is the "? of the earth" but the 14 year old kid that shot and killed his father and aunt with the shot gun he got for his birthday was a "troubled soul."
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Despite how some people are just unwilling to change their thoughts and opinions on other people and how they look at others, I try to just live by example. If someone's opinion changes based off that great, but I don't want the credit for it. They were just ready for a change, and I just so happen to be that person they bumped into that day to help change it. It happens to me all the time, I would meet someone or someone will say something to me that could change my whole perspective on the subject.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

Most def, now if Weezy.. did that..and said it was cool or any of these.. figures that people lionize and take after it would work the power of inluence in these people is real.. instead of being mindless negrobots.. but .. "it was all a dream"