Facebook, Twitter = Hurtful in Job Hunt/Internships

Options
Maalik
Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
Yo....I've been a bit "passionate" on my Facebook lol. I'm applying for internships now, to a lot of elite companies, should I delete my Facebook & start a more polished one? Or will they still find my old one anyway?

Comments

• not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Adjust your privacy settings so only friends can see your status updates, and you should be good.

In any case, you probably wanna make sure you watch what you do on social networking sites, and you definitely wanna make sure you're not on there talking ? about former employers, and the like.
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Do what my homeboy did. That ? just changed his name to a fake 1 so if they searched by his real name nthn came up
  • Maalik
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Adjust your privacy settings so only friends can see your status updates, and you should be good.

In any case, you probably wanna make sure you watch what you do on social networking sites, and you definitely wanna make sure you're not on there talking ? about former employers, and the like.

Will do...most def.

I dont talk ? about anybody but, I let's just say, I talk on Facebook like I talk on here. As far as school goes, I'm pretty much on my ? but, it would be stupid that I'd be denied an epic internship because I cussed a few times on Facebook.
  • The_Recruiter
    The_Recruiter Members Posts: 289
    edited January 2011
    Options
    privacy settings
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I've read some conflicting stuff about deleting FB. I've read that u can delete it by hitting the "delete"option and then not ? with your account @ all for a 2-week period. On the other hand, I've heard that FB is like catching the Herp; once u have it, u can't get rid of it.

I know noticed of the hiring packet questions when I was thinking about joining up with the Police Dept was: "Do you have any Social Media accounts (i.e., MySpace, Facebook, etc). If so, please list them here." My 1st reaction was: "Gawd Damn. For real???"

Big Brother be getting in the mass' ? by any means necessary.
  • Maalik
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I've read some conflicting stuff about deleting FB. I've read that u can delete it by hitting the "delete"option and then not ? with your account @ all for a 2-week period. On the other hand, I've heard that FB is like catching the Herp; once u have it, u can't get rid of it.

I know noticed of the hiring packet questions when I was thinking about joining up with the Police Dept was: "Do you have any Social Media accounts (i.e., MySpace, Facebook, etc). If so, please list them here." My 1st reaction was: "Gawd Damn. For real???"

Big Brother be getting in the mass' ? by any means necessary.

For real...like Im legitimately concerned lol...

I applied to eBay, Dell, Oracle, Goldman & Citi to name a few...all internships...

Now the odds I get chose are minimal at best. Extremely minimal. But if I do get chose & they end up reviewing my social networks, I'd be soooooooooooooooooooo ? lol
  • Maalik
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm about to start goin by my middle name lol
  • The_Recruiter
    The_Recruiter Members Posts: 289
    edited January 2011
    Options
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    On the other hand, I've heard that FB is like catching the Herp; once u have it, u can't get rid of it.

^^^^^^^^^

This.

You can deactivate your account, but they will not delete it.
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    facebook sux sometimes
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm 19, so like most of my age-mates, I have a facebook, but I rarely go on it. This kids out here just don't understand the code, I don't put ANYTHING innapropriate on my ? . I've had to untag myself from numerous pictures showing innapropriate activities, A lot of people just like to show off all the "fun". It's enough for me, my girls, and my homies to know, no need for the world to know what I'm doing EVERY weekend
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    I'm 19, so like most of my age-mates, I have a facebook, but I rarely go on it. This kids out here just don't understand the code, I don't put ANYTHING innapropriate on my ? . I've had to untag myself from numerous pictures showing innapropriate activities, A lot of people just like to show off all the "fun". It's enough for me, my girls, and my homies to know, no need for the world to know what I'm doing EVERY weekend

well theres alot of people who are going to continue tellin folks about their day
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    Never understood why people use their real names on those sites to begin with.

thats kind of the point with facebook......
    bull6599 wrote: »
    Do what my homeboy did. That ? just changed his name to a fake 1 so if they searched by his real name nthn came up

Yeah do this in addition to changing your privacy settings if you're really worried. Its worked for me so far. *knock on wood*
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    privacy settings

This is your answer, thread starter....fix them to where the whole general public can't see your page

deadeye wrote: »
    Never understood why people use their real names on those sites to begin with.

Names aren't my problem, it's people putting ALL of their business on there......Full birthdate, address, phone number(s), status updates of every single thing they do during the day.....
  • Maalik
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Good advice...I've already did most of everything yall said.
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    This is your answer, thread starter....fix them to where the whole general public can't see your page

Names aren't my problem, it's people putting ALL of their business on there......Full birthdate, address, phone number(s), status updates of every single thing they do during the day.....

Word. SMH @ this chick on my friend list complaining in her status about "thirsty" dudes & dont call her if she doesnt really talk 2 u...? u got ur cell # up there, did u really think no ? would try to call
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    take pics with guns
  • MICHAEL-V.I.
    MICHAEL-V.I. Members Posts: 1,898 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »

Yo....I've been a bit "passionate" on my Facebook lol. I'm applying for internships now, to a lot of elite companies, should I delete my Facebook & start a more polished one? Or will they still find my old one anyway?

No ..only if you do questionable, suspect ? online
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    bull6599 wrote: »

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< doesnt go by real name on facebook
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    see this is the ? these youngins be sleeping on when they putting all their personal biz on the net and typin a whole bunch of nonsense with proof pics to go with it

mofos forget that one day you will grow the ? up and want to do something serious in life

but these social sites got you screwed cause you got all this ? recorded and immortalized for anyone researching your background to see

even if you delete accounts, the social networks have an obligation to retain all your ? you posted for an undetermined amount of time..................so if you close a facebook account, it really don't mean ?

and if a court can subpoena internet records of communication, best believe major private employers got ways to find that ? as well

if a job will run your credit history, what makes you think they won't be able to access your ignant personal photos on facebook/twitter/google etc?
  • Maalik
    edited January 2011
    Options
    see this is the ? these youngins be sleeping on when they putting all their personal biz on the net and typin a whole bunch of nonsense with proof pics to go with it

mofos forget that one day you will grow the ? up and want to do something serious in life

but these social sites got you screwed cause you got all this ? recorded and immortalized for anyone researching your background to see

even if you delete accounts, the social networks have an obligation to retain all your ? you posted for an undetermined amount of time..................so if you close a facebook account, it really don't mean ?

and if a court can subpoena internet records of communication, best believe major private employers got ways to find that ? as well

if a job will run your credit history, what makes you think they won't be able to access your ignant personal photos on facebook/twitter/google etc?

? got me a bit worried...

I dont have many photos on mine. Less than 10. No ignant ? either...

I just wrote some "questionable" things on my statuses...

The CEOs, Middle Management & VPs of today are complete hypocrites. In their 20s, during the 70s & the 80s, they ? started the Sexual Revolution but, they wanna critique kids who got ? at a Kegger Party freshman year. SMH.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    privacy settings ftw. only friends see my ish on facebook. n i dont befriend no1 i dont know

and i put my nickname for twitter. i b talkin hella ish on there too
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »

That's where alot of people ? up...I've had my facebook page for a while now and there's only about 230 pics of me and very few are of me doing anything "silly" and at most it's just me with a cup in my hand...nothing too out there...I always laugh at the stupidity of people who put up pictures of them underage drinking, smoking, putting stuff about all the drugs they do in their status...just watch on 4-20 how many dumb ? out themselves for smoking weed on that day...
  • h8rhurta
    h8rhurta Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Make your ? private and cut out the headaches or just use an alias.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.