Study help- What is the purpose of the evolution theory?

Options

Comments

• Pond Scum
    Pond Scum Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

thrilling insight there.

i challenge you folks to find me a society based on religion somewhere in history that wasn't completely oppressive or dysfunctional. you're living in fantasy land which is understandable since you've chosen to make mythology your belief system and knowledge your enemy.
  • Scholar Jaw
    Scholar Jaw Members Posts: 498
    edited January 2011
    Options
    whar67 wrote: »
    Yes. Humans are the product of an evolutionary process. Darwin's book Descent of Man discussed this aspect of evolution.

But in the Origin of Species (only relevant book for this work Im doing), he discusses natural selection mainly through animals and doesnt really expand on this theory with regards to humans. Yh?
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    binstar wrote: »
    thrilling insight there.

i challenge you folks to find me a society based on religion somewhere in history that wasn't completely oppressive or dysfunctional. you're living in fantasy land which is understandable since you've chosen to make mythology your belief system and knowledge your enemy.

Wrong because I don't follow the Euro-centric angles of religion. You and many others continue to get religion and spirituality confused and they are not the same. You call it "mythology" just because you can't see YHWH with your eyes.
  • Pond Scum
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Wrong because I don't follow the Euro-centric angles of religion. You and many others continue to get religion and spirituality confused and they are not the same. You call it "mythology" just because you can't see YHWH with your eyes.

ok then. i still challenge you to find a society based on religion somewhere in history that wasn't completely oppressive or dysfunctional since what i was actually talking about was you supporting the notion that there is some kind of parity between science and religion and that somehow our society is flawed because of our focus on science vs. religion (although i might just misinterpreted that last part).

A unicorn looks a little like a horse but that doesn't mean that a horse is like a unicorn.

also, i never saw a flu virus before either but when i get sick i don't think i have bad spirits in me. i call it mythology because it is mythology.
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ok then. i still challenge you to find a society based on religion somewhere in history that wasn't completely oppressive or dysfunctional since what i was actually talking about was you supporting the notion that there is some kind of parity between science and religion and that somehow our society is flawed because of our focus on science vs. religion (although i might just misinterpreted that last part).

A unicorn looks a little like a horse but that doesn't mean that a horse is like a unicorn.

also, i never saw a flu virus before either but when i get sick i don't think i have bad spirits in me. i call it mythology because it is mythology.

Yes oppressed and dysfunctional because of the Euro-centric factors controlling it, which I do not follow..yet you continue to call it mythology. Why? Because you heard someone and others say it or have you found proof?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yes oppressed and dysfunctional because of the Euro-centric factors controlling it, which I do not follow..yet you continue to call it mythology. Why? Because you heard someone and others say it or have you found proof?

He saying that because what your saying sounds mythical. As in a myth. What is spirituality anyway? can you give us a definition?
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited January 2011
    Options
    But in the Origin of Species (only relevant book for this work Im doing), he discusses natural selection mainly through animals and doesnt really expand on this theory with regards to humans. Yh?

This is quite correct and was intentional on Darwin's part. The Descent of Man would be written a couple decades later. He does not mention man in Origin of Species but he does also not exclude him.
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited January 2011
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    He saying that because what your saying sounds mythical. As in a myth. What is spirituality anyway? can you give us a definition?

Spirituality is discovering the essence of the inner man (spirit) through acknowledging the Creator YHWH and recognizing who we are in Him and His son Yeshua through the Holy Scriptures. Everyone has an inner man and it's revealed that your spirit is the real essence of you, not your outer man. Certain books of the Holy scriptures throughout history have been tampered with and mistranslated because of the Euro-centric factors for manipulation and control, like for example, the anthropomorphic views of the Creator which you and others possibly view in your opinion as "a bearded man in the sky" but people that think like that are indoctrinated into that Euro-centric culture..and that's called religion. They're being foolish. But in essence of true spirituality you cannot take ALL the scriptures and throw them out because of it.
  • Rizzo-da-Great
    Rizzo-da-Great Members Posts: 73
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Which kind of evolution do you refer to ? Evolution guided by intelligence ? [like technology evolves]

Or blind "creatorless" evolution ? [which is as absurd as thinking you could write a meaningful letter just by randomly pressing keys]

lol this old ? , id love to hear how blind evolution is absurd, i dont think you understand what evolution is
  • Rizzo-da-Great
    edited January 2011
    Options

you cant see her with anything, shes not real
  • Rizzo-da-Great
    edited January 2011
    Options
    anyone who believes ANYTHING is an idiot, because we have nothing to show that there is anything other then what we see, and if you choose to adopt a beliefe or make one yourself, please say why you believe that over say the greek gods, i garuntee noone can give a explanation of why they dont believe in the greek gods that doesnt apply to there own beliefs as well
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    SMH @ people still believing in evolution in 2011. How completely Ridiculous.

What a sight it will be at the Great White Throne judgment. You really gonna wish darwin would stand in your place when you stand before the Alpha and the Omega, but NOPE! Only you alone will give an account to ? for your foolishness. I pity the fool that played the harlot.
  • Rizzo-da-Great
    edited January 2011
    Options
    SMH @ people still believing in evolution in 2011. How completely Ridiculous.

What a sight it will be at the Great White Throne judgment. You really gonna wish darwin would stand in your place when you stand before the Alpha and the Omega, but NOPE! Only you alone will give an account to ? for your foolishness. I pity the fool that played the harlot.

your kidding right?
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    seems like every time you post you just leave yourself open for various forms of ether

even people who dont believe in ? can agree that the theory of evolution does not prove or disprove the existence of ? . technically, "? " could have "placed" everything together knowing that evolution would take place thereafter, thus creating man from the "dust of the earth". this is why no one respects religion ... because of people like you, and ironically, instead of saving souls youre running people away from your beliefs with your ridiculous, uneducated, and emotional bursts of ignorance

LOL
    Huh???????

jezuz christmas christ this man is dumb as hell LOL

let me break it down for you in a way that a former crackhead would understand

in the beginning there was nothing, then "? " created light, then ? created the universe, ? took elements in the universe and placed them all in one big ball and placed them 93 million miles away from the sun. then bacteria started growing. then the bacteria evolved. maybe ? set the process of evolution in motion.

now, for you to say that evolution is for those who want to disprove that ? exists makes you an idiot ... why??? because it doesnt take one to observe that evolution took place to know that the stories in the bible are fairytales

if you cant understand that ... how about this

OH hark thee who has thought the lord was some white guy with a big beard in the sky, by his alter are former crackheads who worship thee, but know not that ? created everything including science according to their own logic. verily o i say .... ? is one helluva drug"

the book of emotional former crackheads chapter 12 verse 5
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited February 2011
    Options
    your kidding right?

Nope. And ? sure ain't either.

"11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before ? ; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:11-15

See you at the crossroads. I pray you will be on His side when this day comes. ? bless.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited February 2011
    Options

in the beginning there was nothing, then "? " created light, then ? created the universe, ? took elements in the universe and placed them all in one big ball and placed them 93 million miles away from the sun. then bacteria started growing. then the bacteria evolved. maybe ? set the process of evolution in motion.

now, for you to say that evolution is for those who want to disprove that ? exists makes you an idiot ... why??? because it doesnt take one to observe that evolution took place to know that the stories in the bible are fairytales

OH hark thee who has thought the lord was some white guy with a big beard in the sky, by his alter are former crackheads who worship thee, but know not that ? created everything including science according to their own logic. verily o i say .... ? is one helluva drug"

Huh?????????????
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    anyone who believes ANYTHING is an idiot, because we have nothing to show that there is anything other then what we see, and if you choose to adopt a beliefe or make one yourself, please say why you believe that over say the greek gods, i garuntee noone can give a explanation of why they dont believe in the greek gods that doesnt apply to there own beliefs as well

well unless you are over a billion years old to have witnessed evolution firsthand or an archaeologist who tests fossils then you are guilty of belief as well.hell, unless youre omniscient you HAVE to believe in something because by definition culture is "the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another". you submit to western culture therefore you believe in the architects of it. you ? in here are ridiculous. you copy after them satanic crackers philosophy because you think its the "intelligent" choice while the elite wield the power of gods over you. thats reality there. if it wasnt for spiritual brothers and sisters that realized the power of divinity within them making a stand, ? would be still sipping water from colored water fountains at best or be straight up chattel at worst. the same dudes who created all these theories you atheists use to invalidate the Most High are in the same league that used pseudo-science to invalidate the humanity of the kidnapped african.
  • Pond Scum
    edited February 2011
    Options

Huh?????????????

1238157980_scanners_-_head_explosion.gif

• Disciplined InSight
    edited February 2011
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    well unless you are over a billion years old to have witnessed evolution firsthand or an archaeologist who tests fossils then you are guilty of belief as well.hell, unless youre omniscient you HAVE to believe in something because by definition culture is "the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another". you submit to western culture therefore you believe in the architects of it. you ? in here are ridiculous. you copy after them satanic crackers philosophy because you think its the "intelligent" choice while the elite wield the power of gods over you. thats reality there. if it wasnt for spiritual brothers and sisters that realized the power of divinity within them making a stand, ? would be still sipping water from colored water fountains at best or be straight up chattel at worst. the same dudes who created all these theories you atheists use to invalidate the Most High are in the same league that used pseudo-science to invalidate the humanity of the kidnapped african.

Good post.......
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    well unless you are over a billion years old to have witnessed evolution firsthand

evolution has been witnessed firsthand in a variety of species

most notably, the flu

every single year

but i know that wont be good enough for you, so heres a bunch of stuff:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/11/speciation-in-action/

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/04/still_just_a_lizard.php

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090305150917.htm
  • judahxulu
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ^^^ the birds = epic speciation reaching. the flu, lizards and bacteria = artificial selection.
  • Pond Scum
    edited February 2011
    Options

you equate science with european, western culture? you can't be serious. do you have any concept of history whatsoever? you do understand that all the greeks knew about science and mathematics they learned from kemites right? i mean chemistry got it's name from these guys so those of use who understand the role and significance of science and rational thinking aren't aren't following "satanic crackers" but actually doing the same thing anyone with questions have been doing for millenia and that's trying to find answers that make sense.

do you really believe that ignorance and superstition are the only alternative to submitting to western society? for real? who do you think mastered the art of ignorance and superstition?

how is your view on evolution any different than some hillbilly redneck except that you try to dress it up as ? cultural awareness when really its just you trying to justify willful ignorance.
  • judahxulu
    edited February 2011
    Options
    you equate science with european, western culture? you can't be serious. do you have any concept of history whatsoever? you do understand that all the greeks knew about science and mathematics they learned from kemites right? i mean chemistry got it's name from these guys so those of use who understand the role and significance of science and rational thinking aren't aren't following "satanic crackers" but actually doing the same thing anyone with questions have been doing for millenia and that's trying to find answers that make sense.

do you really believe that ignorance and superstition are the only alternative to submitting to western society? for real? who do you think mastered the art of ignorance and superstition?
    how is your view on evolution any different than some hillbilly redneck except that you try to dress it up as ? cultural awareness when really its just you trying to justify willful ignorance.

lol...where did i equate science in and of itself with european, western culture? where did i say ignorance and superstition are the only alternative to submitting to western society? the ? is my view on evolution you non-reading idiot? NO CONJECTURE..JUST DIRECT QUOTES...evidence TO SUPPORT YOUR ACCUSATIONS. you speak of rationality...i directly attacked a specific line of rationale evidenced in a specific post in this thread and other ones like it in a concise and logical manner. who the ? do you think youre strawmanning ? ? let me reiterate my point so maybe this go-round you can be a tad bit LESS fallacious with your treatment of my statements..

Rizzo da Great said: anyone who believes ANYTHING is an idiot, because we have nothing to show that there is anything other then what we see,

I said: unless you are over a billion years old to have witnessed evolution firsthand or an archaeologist who tests fossils then you are guilty of belief as well.hell, unless youre omniscient you HAVE to believe in something because by definition culture is "the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another". you submit to western culture therefore you believe in the architects of it.

obviously i pointed out a hole in the ? reasoning on the subject of belief. nowhere in that post did i give a definitive assertion of what evolution is or isnt, nor did i directly or indirectly endorse ignorance or superstition. i merely alluded to the FACT that the whole concept of evolution is frequently used to invalidate the existence of the Most High. given the other harmful results that have emerged from that particular stream of knowledge and the lack of practical application of it towards recovering from the social effects of chattel slavery, my questioning of the efficacy of what you folks consider epistemologically sound is intelligent and highly relevant to the discussion at hand. sounds like YOU are in a state of willful ignorance. there is no flaw in the logic that i utilized in the opening statement of my post that you quoted. get the ? out of here with your elementary ass fallacies.
  • judahxulu
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ? hypocrites. ? wanna try to manipulate the definition of words like "belief" to fit their shallow ass arguments. then they talk all this jazz about rationality and logic but do not use one bit of it.all the right-minded posters and curious lurkers- peep how certain posters use the EXACT same deceptive tactics all for the sake of convincing an audience of mostly black people that the Most High does not exist and that basically the spiritual realm is no realer than Smurf Village......game recognize game...im waaay smarter than that and you should be too.
  • SHAYDEEEE
    SHAYDEEEE Members Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    someone please explain to me how monkeys evolved over the years into humans, yet there are still monkeys and humans, but none of the stages in between walkin around