What is ? ?

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Even though I am an 'atheist', I was wondering "what is ? "? Tonight I was having this discussion with my sister and she went on to tell me what ? is to her but that wasn't the answer I was looking for.

What is ? ?

This isn't about what is ? to YOU but in general. There's hundreds of beliefs and each ends up having it's own religion and following. Each religion has a ? or Gods that is worshiped. Throughout mankind's existence cultures have created their beliefs based on things they've gone through and witness. Things across the world from famine, natural disasters and normal things are attributed to some type of ? . Many things are done in the name of ? , or even against it.

We cannot claim one is right and dismiss all other beliefs/stories, because in reality it's all the same story from creation, to salvation to the end of times. Involved is some type of divine being; a great one who is creator and controller of all things. Every culture shares a belief in that kind of ? , no matter the characters or beliefs that come after that.

Is it literal? Is it a product of our minds? Is it simply nature? What is ? ?

Comments

• marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    what?

if u are a atheist. dont kno why u put it in quotes? there is NO REASON to ask what is ? . cuz it does not exist.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    An idea/concept.
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    ...in reality it's all the same story from creation, to salvation to the end of times. Involved is some type of divine being; a great one who is creator and controller of all things. Every culture shares a belief in that kind of ? , no matter the characters or beliefs that come after that...
    ^^^Couple of falsehoods here.
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    a figment of my imagination.......
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    If ? exists, then this deity exists apart from any claims and speculations man makes. If an opinion is what you want, then I believe that ? represents the authority when it comes to the truth...not just as a matter of fact, but as a matter of belief. The truth is at ? 's Mercy.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    "? " is a title reserved for individuals who create, maintain, and/or destroy.
  • CrownChakra
    CrownChakra Members Posts: 351
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ? is just a 3 letter word used to describe a supreme being that created the universe.

? is just a 3 letter word yet it has to be spelled with a Capital "G"
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ? is just a 3 letter word yet it has to be spelled with a Capital "G"
    No, it doesn't. The capital 'G' denotes an individual entity as opposed to a title.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    its a really big bee

bet you didnt know that
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Man created ? in the image man
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Even though I am an 'atheist', I was wondering "what is ? "? Tonight I was having this discussion with my sister and she went on to tell me what ? is to her but that wasn't the answer I was looking for. What is ? ? This isn't about what is ? to YOU but in general. There's hundreds of beliefs and each ends up having it's own religion and following. Each religion has a ? or Gods that is worshiped. Throughout mankind's existence cultures have created their beliefs based on things they've gone through and witness. Things across the world from famine, natural disasters and normal things are attributed to some type of ? . Many things are done in the name of ? , or even against it. We cannot claim one is right and dismiss all other beliefs/stories, because in reality it's all the same story from creation, to salvation to the end of times. Involved is some type of divine being; a great one who is creator and controller of all things. Every culture shares a belief in that kind of ? , no matter the characters or beliefs that come after that.
    Is it literal? Is it a product of our minds? Is it simply nature?

What is ? ?

Ya gotta start somewhere. If ? exist,... then which is more reasonable:

That you and the life all around you came into being independantly of ? ?
    That ? merely watched life develop, but had nothing to do with making life happen/evolve ?

OR, OR , OR

That ? is the ultimate CREATOR of life ?

Which do you think more plausible ?
  • Justa Phella
    Justa Phella Members Posts: 315
    edited February 2011
    Options
    so ? is stronger then ? , & ? is stronger then ? , so then ? is an elite lol

either way ? is great
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Lol people can't even describe/tell what THEY are, let alone some ? . Safest bet is to say ? is ? , just as I is I.
  • hbone373
    hbone373 Members Posts: 38
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ? is anything you want to make of it, its all based on what you believe. Now do you believe in ? or you dont? thats the real question!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Faith-In-Life-and-Death
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I would suppose the best answer is from BA, we cannot explain ourselves so how could we even explain ? ? But personally I think there is an explanation to ? , there has to be. If there's been encounters then ? must have some type of explanation.

But if ? is real, what is ? ? Based on all religions/beliefs we have different Gods, all with different names and "looks". Is it possible that based on ALL beliefs that it is evident that some type of higher power exists? I'm not speaking on which one is right or who has Jesus, the fact is there is a ? in each belief. Is that enough evidence to prove that ? exists? If so, how? What would ? be? A spirit? Energy?

But if ? is a product of the mind, is this amazing? Our minds are able to produce so much, we are able to trick our minds pretty much into anything we would like. If ? is our imagination then what is it that triggers this? This would mean people around the world would've "made up" ? , people with no knowledge of each other whatsoever all having similar stories. These people would've "made up" ? w/o knowing they're making this up, to them this is real, so wouldn't this be considered amazing that people thousands of miles apart all made up some type of divine being?
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I would suppose the best answer is from BA, we cannot explain ourselves so how could we even explain ? ? But personally I think there is an explanation to ? , there has to be. If there's been encounters then ? must have some type of explanation.

But if ? is real, what is ? ? Based on all religions/beliefs we have different Gods, all with different names and "looks". Is it possible that based on ALL beliefs that it is evident that some type of higher power exists? I'm not speaking on which one is right or who has Jesus, the fact is there is a ? in each belief. Is that enough evidence to prove that ? exists? If so, how? What would ? be? A spirit? Energy?

But if ? is a product of the mind, is this amazing? Our minds are able to produce so much, we are able to trick our minds pretty much into anything we would like. If ? is our imagination then what is it that triggers this? This would mean people around the world would've "made up" ? , people with no knowledge of each other whatsoever all having similar stories. These people would've "made up" ? w/o knowing they're making this up, to them this is real, so wouldn't this be considered amazing that people thousands of miles apart all made up some type of divine being?

The thing about explaining ? is that it brings into account our understandings. It puts our reasoning, perspectives and viewpoints on the table and we use it as a standard to measure the immeasurable and when our answers fall short, we don't question ourselves; we question ? . Like BA said...? is who ? is...much like when ? refers to Himself as "I am". And like I was saying...if ? exists, he does so apart from any approval or speculation.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited February 2011
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    The thing about explaining ? is that it brings into account our understandings. It puts our reasoning, perspectives and viewpoints on the table and we use it as a standard to measure the immeasurable and when our answers fall short, we don't question ourselves; we question ? . Like BA said...? is who ? is...much like when ? refers to Himself as "I am". And like I was saying...if ? exists, he does so apart from any approval or speculation.

I agree, and I think trying to define what ? is, is like trying to define what the "I" is. People say "I am rich", "I am an accountant", "I am an athlete", "I am" "I am" "I am" ......
    But is that really the "I". "I" is the constant, the other things attached to it are mutable. So far I can tell the "I" cannot be described only experienced.
  • CrownChakra
    edited February 2011
    Options
    No, it doesn't. The capital 'G' denotes an individual entity as opposed to a title.

Look at any literary work. Internet, books, magazines anything thtat has an author. It is spelled with a capital G. I tried spelling ? and a paper and I was told by my English teacher in must be spelled with a Capital.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ? is the Universe and everything in it you can see touch and can't. ? 's law is basically the law of physics.
  • fiat_money
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Look at any literary work. Internet, books, magazines anything thtat has an author. It is spelled with a capital G. I tried spelling ? and a paper and I was told by my English teacher in must be spelled with a Capital.
    That's because a specific ? is being referred to; most often, it's a reference to a ? of a monotheistic belief, as with the Abrahamic ? . Such is the case with other names for gods (Zeus, Ahura Mazda, Enlil, Jehovah, Anubis, Shiva, etc).

Generally, proper nouns are to be capitalized in the English language.
  • CrownChakra
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ^^^^ No No No Im talking about ? alone.

Not ? of War
    or ? of Fire
    ?

Put ? on an essay and you will lose marks.

This happened at a Catholic High School, but look out for ? in any publish works and you'll see what Im saying. Ive never seen ? alone spelled with a small g
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited February 2011
    Options

Not ? of War
    or ? of Fire
    ?

This happened at a Catholic High School, but look out for ? in any publish works and you'll see what Im saying. Ive never seen ? alone spelled with a small g

I've seen it to, anytime the word '? ' is used in writing it's capitalized. The sentence could be: "At one point in human history, ? played a major role in the their daily lives." <--- no specific ? mentioned christian or otherwise, but '? ' is always capitalized.
  • fiat_money
    edited February 2011
    Options

Not ? of War
    or ? of Fire
    ?

I've seen it to, anytime the word '? ' is used in writing it's capitalized. The sentence could be: "At one point in human history, ? played a major role in the their daily lives." <--- no specific ? mentioned christian or otherwise, but '? ' is always capitalized.
    Still a case of "a reference to a ? of a monotheistic belief"; which makes it a specific reference. The reference is a specific one because monotheism is the belief that there is only one deity. This means--when dealing with monotheism--the noun "? " can't be used as a common noun, since it's not a class/category of being/entity, but a reference to a unique being/entity.

An example of a non-specific reference of a ? would be: "Yahweh, a ? of the Ancient Semitics, was likely a remnant of pre-Abrahamic religions."
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited February 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Still a case of "a reference to a ? of a monotheistic belief"; which makes it a specific reference. The reference is a specific one because monotheism is the belief that there is only one deity. This means--when dealing with monotheism--the noun "? " can't be used as a common noun, since it's not a class/category of being/entity, but a reference to a unique being/entity.

An example of a non-specific reference of a ? would be: "Yahweh, a ? of the Ancient Semitics, was likely a remnant of pre-Abrahamic religions."

What are you like the encyclopedia britannica? Just once, it would refreshing to see Fiat say: "You know what, I actually don't know" :p
  • CrownChakra
    edited February 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »

fry.gif

I see what your saying now
    but Im not sure if Ive seen ? of or ? of
  • fiat_money
    edited February 2011
    Options
    What are you like the encyclopedia britannica? Just once, it would refreshing to see Fiat say: "You know what, I actually don't know" :p
    I don't think I've ever typed that.

Actually, I know I've never typed it.

One of the products of an eidetic memory.

Makes things boring, but it's useful.