How do y'all feel about the way the US/Obama is handling Egypt?

Options
Jonas.dini
Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Social Lounge
There seem to be two choices on the table:

Endorse a total and fast switch to democracy, and risk the possibility that they might elect some people we don't like.

Or endorse Mubarak's VP, which would essentially constitute a continuation of the brutal and corrupt military dictatorship.

Seems to me like Obama Admin has tried to have it both ways, calling for an "orderly transition" to democracy, but in practice supporting the military and the ascension of VP Suleiman. I know it isn't like Obama can make the decision for Egypt (although certainly the US has a lot lot lot of influence via our foreign aid and military support of the Egyptian dictatorship), but should he put down the hammer and have a "tear down this wall" moment like his idol Reagan? (and not just the rhetoric, I mean getting serious about suspending aid)

Comments

• KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    He's doing poorly.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited February 2011
    Options
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited February 2011
    Options
    As usual, he's in an impossible position if you actually see him as an agent of progressive change.

But since he's a typical American corporate lackey, he's doing what any other stooge would do. He can't say "We outright support the pro-democracy protesters" because people over there might believe it and continue rising up against US-backed dictatorships.

And he can't just tell the truth and say "We will support Mubarak until it is impossible from a PR standpoint" because that makes him look like a ? .
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Obama has done the bare minimum of good in this situation. He has called for an orderly transition to democracy, which is good. He also seems to be distancing himself lately from Suleiman, the feared intelligence agent who tortured many in Egypt, so Obama is not doing too bad in my eyes. He also called the revolution in Egypt a joyous occasion for the people, so Obama is doing decent overall.
  • tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Obama has done the bare minimum of good in this situation. He has called for an orderly transition to democracy, which is good. He also seems to be distancing himself lately from Suleiman, the feared intelligence agent who tortured many in Egypt, so Obama is not doing too bad in my eyes. He also called the revolution in Egypt a joyous occasion for the people, so Obama is doing decent overall.

But he's still a globalist for the bankers and you know it, he does not care about anybody except the bankers and the global elite.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    tupacfan35 wrote: »
    But he's still a globalist for the bankers and you know it, he does not care about anybody except the bankers and the global elite.

SHUT THE ? UP .. if its not fat joe or cameron its obama.. get some fresh air
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    U pretty much summed it up. We can have a democratic government full of people who hate us and voter who hate us.

Or we can support the regime which makes us look like bullies.

Pick your poison.

Also we dont know how Obama's handling Egypt. We just know how the media SAYS he is handling Egypt. And they will make ? up and just go with "their sources" in a second.
  • tupacfan35
    edited February 2011
    Options
    shut the ? up .. If its not fat joe or cameron its obama.. Get some fresh air

? you anyways, nobama is still a globalist ? just like bush jr, except he's a slick statesman!
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2011
    Options

Obama deserves criticism for supporting the big companies too much but on this situation, let's give the man credit. His attitude towards the Egyptians, at least for the past 2 weeks, is way better than the response Republicans were giving. Most of them supported Mubarak, while Obama went out of his way to shove Mubarak to the side. He gets props for that.
  • tupacfan35
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Obama deserves criticism for supporting the big companies too much but on this situation, let's give the man credit. His attitude towards the Egyptians, at least for the past 2 weeks, is way better than the response Republicans were giving. Most of them supported Mubarak, while Obama went out of his way to shove Mubarak to the side. He gets props for that.

But that's it, I Will never support him nor the republicans, except ron paul.

Paul is the truth.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    But that's it, I Will never support him nor the republicans, except ron paul.

Paul is the truth.

Do you have wet dreams about Ron Paul? Does he whisper sweet nothings in yo ear? /yes ?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Obama is on TV talking soft and weak as ? tonight.

"The people of Egypt... have spoken... and that's pretty cool... you know, we'll see how things go... uh..."
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    His attitude towards the Egyptians, at least for the past 2 weeks, is way better than the response Republicans were giving. Most of them supported Mubarak, while Obama went out of his way to shove Mubarak to the side.
    the key phrase you may be overlooking in order to praise Obama's foreign policy is "for the past 2 weeks"
  • C-LOS G
    C-LOS G Members Posts: 198
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Obama looked/lookin like a spineless ? as he does most the time.....
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    he handled it like we all would
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2011
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    the key phrase you may be overlooking in order to praise Obama's foreign policy is "for the past 2 weeks"

I know exactly what I have said. His response to the revolution was good because he didn't overreact. I say he did well for the past 2 weeks because let's face it, he gave Mubarak support publicly since he got into office, even when we knew he was a mean ass dictator.

But these past 2 weeks, Obama has been cool and measured in his response. He didn't insult the Egyptian people's intelligence by calling them savages, like many Republicans were. He did not whine about the Muslim Brotherhood too much, knowing very well this was a secular revolution. His Egyptian policy has been solid lately, and he made America look at least a little bit more respectable to the world. He gets a B+ as far as the Eyptian crisis is concerned.
  • supersajinfo
    supersajinfo Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I know exactly what I have said. His response to the revolution was good because he didn't overreact. I say he did well for the past 2 weeks because let's face it, he gave Mubarak support publicly since he got into office, even when we knew he was a mean ass dictator.

But these past 2 weeks, Obama has been cool and measured in his response. He didn't insult the Egyptian people's intelligence by calling them savages, like many Republicans were. He did not whine about the Muslim Brotherhood too much, knowing very well this was a secular revolution. His Egyptian policy has been solid lately, and he made America look at least a little bit more respectable to the world. He gets a B+ as far as the Eyptian crisis is concerned.

I agree with a situation like this he has to be cool and has to show that he isn't directly siding with anybody. We got keywords that ? off republicans and teaparty at play MUSLIM,MIDDLE EAST, REVOLUTION,PROTEST. He has to let this situation play out organically because regardless of the outcome any form of american intervention is a bad thing. I believe you said something along the lines of this earlier.
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Recent regime change in Egypt means the major nation bordering Israel is going more hard line MOslem.

Obama's contributed toward this regime change.

If you think full scale war [sooner rather than later] against Israel is a good idea,

then Obama is doing just fine.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Recent regime change in Egypt means the major nation bordering Israel is going more hard line MOslem.

If you think full scale war [sooner rather than later] against Israel is a good idea,

How exactly did Obama contribute to the regime change? You act like the protesters would have listened to Obama if he said calm the ? down and go home. There were thousands protesting and getting bigger with no violence other then the violence placed on them.
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I agree with a situation like this he has to be cool and has to show that he isn't directly siding with anybody. We got keywords that ? off republicans and teaparty at play MUSLIM,MIDDLE EAST, REVOLUTION,PROTEST. He has to let this situation play out organically because regardless of the outcome any form of american intervention is a bad thing. I believe you said something along the lines of this earlier.

Exactly, Obama knows America's troublesome history in the Middle East. Butting in their business and showing support for Mubarak would backfire incredibly, and would have probably made the protestors turn violent out of desperation. We all see how America butting in in Iraq and Afghanistan has turned out.
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2011
    Options

Israel can take care of itself, they are the Chosen People, arent' they?

Since when does the Chosen need America's help? According to your precious Bible, ? will take care of Israel, so don't fret over those pesky Egyptians demanding freedom and democracy = )

Israel will win a war against its neighbors that hate it, you worry too much.
  • John Prewett
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Israel can take care of itself, they are the Chosen People, arent' they?

Since when does the Chosen need America's help?

According to your precious Bible, ? will take care of Israel,

so don't fret over those pesky Egyptians demanding freedom and democracy = )

Israel will win a war against its neighbors that hate it, you worry too much.

Israel cannot "take care of itself", however, as you note, ? will see to the survival of his special tool nation.

I'm not in the least worried that Egypt [and other nations in the vicinity]

is going more hard line MOslem.

I see it as a "sign of the times" that we are getting closer to the final end game.

Pedal to the metal !
  • John Prewett
    edited February 2011
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    How exactly did Obama contribute to the regime change?
    You act like the protesters would have listened to Obama if he said calm the ? down and go home.
    There were thousands protesting and getting bigger with no violence other then the violence placed on them.

Certainly Obama was not the main factor.
    However,
    many commentators have noted that from the get-go of this regime change,

the Obama admin signaled support for the ouster of Mubarak.

Do you doubt Obama is more sympathetic to the MOslem POV than to the Israeli POV ? Or do you think he is really neutral ?
  • Jonas.dini
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Certainly Obama was not the main factor.
    However,
    many commentators have noted that from the get-go of this regime change,

the Obama admin signaled support for the ouster of Mubarak.

Do you doubt Obama is more sympathetic to the MOslem POV than to the Israeli POV ? Or do you think he is really neutral ?

Obama stays kissing Israeli ass just like every other US politician, despite their disgusting apartheid policy. As for his position on Mubarak, look he basically played both sides of the fence until it was clear that the protests weren't gonna fizzle out, then he supported Suleiman, who is more or less exactly like Mubarak.

Also I think this is largely a secular movement in Egypt. I read that Muslim Brotherhood has 15% support and no single MB candidate gets over 1% support in pres polling.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Did y'all ? go as hard on Bush as y'all do on Obama? I swear every time I come in here it's "? OBAMA!!! TELL THAT ? TO EAT A ? "