Can We Handle The Truth?

Options
alissowack
alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Sure, the title comes as a knock-off to the famous Jack Nicholson line, but it comes as a way of suggesting that maybe knowing the truth is not the only thing we should be focusing on. We have facts and evidence for things and it's great to have in respect to not just in academics, but in everyday life. But does it mean that the truth somehow dictates what man should or shouldn't do with it? Does knowing the truth mean that man knows what to do with it or give it the utmost respect?

There is the impression that if we know the truth, then we will do what is right by it; that we will give up viewpoints, perspectives and beliefs because of it. Take the truth nobody is honest; that somebody in their lifetime has told a lie. There are people who respect this truth and is willing to handle it as a way to liberate themselves from trying to be perfect...and possibly make it even easier to pursue honesty. Then there are people who take this truth and see it as a reason to encourage lying; to use it as a means to justify dishonesty. It may even make it difficult to accept the possibility that people are capable of telling the truth; looking at every statement as a reason to deceive. Or, take the truth that guns can ? . It's an obvious one, but someone can either take this truth as a reason to respect what guns can do (or suppose to be used for) or exploit it.

There are plenty of truths out there that makes it's presence known, but a lot of the truth out there personally don't stop people, who really want to, from finding ways around the truth or exploiting the truth. People may even conjure up their own truth...which is alright if it is respect to what the truth represents. However, it doesn't mean that people have a handle on it.

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    Take the truth nobody is honest; that somebody in their lifetime has told a lie. There are people who respect this truth and is willing to handle it as a way to liberate themselves from trying to be perfect...and possibly make it even easier to pursue honesty. Then there are people who take this truth and see it as a reason to encourage lying; to use it as a means to justify dishonesty.
    "Nobody is honest" I don't think is the truth itself. It is only a pointer towards the truth behind those words. And if someone takes those words and uses it to justify their dishonesty, they haven't actually encountered the truth behind the words but are only seeing the surface(which are the words themselves). Those words are true, but its not the truth. The truth cannot be spoken, its an inner understanding which words fail to accurately capture.
  • alissowack
    edited February 2011
    Options
    "Nobody is honest" I don't think is the truth itself. It is only a pointer towards the truth behind those words. And if someone takes those words and uses it to justify their dishonesty, they haven't actually encountered the truth behind the words but are only seeing the surface(which are the words themselves). Those words are true, but its not the truth. The truth cannot be spoken, its an inner understanding which words fail to accurately capture.

I agree that there is a inwardness we have. That's kind of why I made this thread. The "nobody is honest" thing may not be the best example, but it is only to say how the truth can also be manipulated. It is not to say that everybody is going out their way to do so, but it makes me wonder how much of the truths that we accept is driven by our viewpoints, perspectives and beliefs.
  • alissowack
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    Message from creepy old dead white guy

But does knowing what the facts are dictate what people will believe about them?
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Once people realize that we all are the same, and the people with "powers" or get " called on by ? " are only bullshitting, then we can live our own lives.

let go of the ? . aint nobody got no powers. aint nobody talked to ? . opps. i mean ? . see, ? made me type his name the right way. yall believe that?
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    Message from creepy old dead white guy

I appreciate your bringing his words of wisdom to our attention.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    I agree that there is a inwardness we have. That's kind of why I made this thread. The "nobody is honest" thing may not be the best example, but it is only to say how the truth can also be manipulated. It is not to say that everybody is going out their way to do so,

but it makes me wonder how much of the truths that we accept is driven by our viewpoints, perspectives and beliefs.

Yeah I figured I was probably preaching to the choir with all that lol

I guess that depends on how much the truth is in favor/opposition to our viewpoints, perspectives and beliefs. And for some the truth that is impression-ed on them is the highest authority and could be the reason some(like a lot of religious figures in various stories) go through such mental anguish when grappling with the truth vs their personal perspectives and beliefs.
  • alissowack
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    Once people realize that we all are the same, and the people with "powers" or get " called on by ? " are only bullshitting, then we can live our own lives.

let go of the ? . aint nobody got no powers. aint nobody talked to ? . opps. i mean ? . see, ? made me type his name the right way. yall believe that?

But how does one realize this...given that it is the truth? What is this truth about "being the same" going to do to dictate how people live their lives? How would it force people to give up the perspectives, viewpoints and beliefs they hold?

I believe we need to be careful however about this oneness we suggest. There are differences whether it be for better or worse. We just can't take it to mean who is superior or not.