Dead island

Options
playmaker88
playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in IllGaming

Dead Island is a non-linear first-person shooter in which you find yourself on an island plunged into chaos. It's a place where the word "dead" has an entirely new meaning. Face the nightmare and fight for survival.
Use anything you find in your surroundings as a weapon. Make decisions that influence the entire world around you, take advantage of opponent behavior and game physics, and explore the secrets hidden in the darkest regions of the island.

dead-island-20110215060828455_640w.jpg
dead-island-20110215060853532_640w.jpg

dead-island-20110215060817299_640w.jpg
dead-island-20110215060956857_640w.jpg

Comments

• -Karl-
    -Karl- Members Posts: 2,196 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Looks interesting.
    It's a place where the word "dead" has an entirely new meaning.

What is this entirely new meaning?
  • -Karl-
    edited February 2011
    Options
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Looks like Dead Rising
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    lol., i knew you would like it.. the trailer looks crazy i wonder if the game can hold up... this game has been in the making for 3 years well.. it was being developed then and i think they went on a Hiatus.. nto sure but i ws lookin some ? up and i seen some pics from 07.. if the whole game look slike that and adds depth shti could be sick
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    damn that looks great. cant wait to see gameplay though
  • earth two superman
    edited February 2011
    Options
    hope the ps3 version doesnt get screwed in content like dead rising
  • -Karl-
    edited February 2011
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Looks like Dead Rising

Except it got good graphics.
  • joshuaboy
    edited February 2011
    Options
    -Karl- wrote: »
    Except it got good graphics.

That's true
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    That trailer is Epic. First day cop.
  • Hip-Hop One
    Hip-Hop One Members Posts: 703 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    That's how you make a captivating trailer. Definitely something I look forward to seeing more from.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I dunno how the game will turn out, but that might have been the most amazing game trailer I've ever seen.
  • -Karl-
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'll be honest with you. I wasnt that impressed by the trailer. I feel like I've seen it before.
  • joshuaboy
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Serious. Somber. Disturbing. These are words I would use to describe Dead Island's amazing debut trailer.

You saw it, right?

Today I got to see about 15 minutes of Dead Island in action. What words would I use to describe the gameplay?

Silly. Wacky. Goofy.

Oh, and fun.

Dead Island is a first-person hack-and-slash game set in the midst of a zombie outbreak in a tropical paradise. It's more Dead Rising than Resident Evil, with a focus on action over suspense. The developers themselves say they're going for "zombie zombie zombie all the time." An abundance of makeshift weapons lying around like paddles, baseball bats, and wrenches – and the fact that these can be combined and upgraded – further reminds me of Dead Rising.

Then there is the four-player cooperative play, also giving Dead Island a little Left 4 Dead flavor. At the beginning of the game you select your character (which represents your class) and are stuck with that choice for the duration of the adventure. Whomever you choose, you are special among the survivors on the island -- you seem to be the only person immune to the zombie disease, and therefore can go toe-to-toe with the undead without fear of being converted.

The game has a very different tone than the somber trailer. It's fast and arcade-like. The plaintive piano and strings of the trailer are replaced with video game heavy metal. You can be clawed, bitten, and mauled by zombies and then be in perfect health a moment later. Tools and equipment can be jammed together to create ridiculous weapons, like an electrified machete. Is an electrified machete cool? Of course it is! But the macabre giggles it coaxed out of me are quite different than the quiet unease I felt while watching the trailer.

deadisland-all-all-screenshot-022_1299199260.jpg
    Electrified machetes are cool, but do they fit the mood of Dead Island's debut trailer?

When developer Techland played Dead Island for me today, they chose the stereotypical "video game black guy" character. As he ran around slicing up zombies and bashing in their heads, he would exclaim things like, "Daaaaaamn, that ? was huge!" and "You a dead ? now!" Imagine hearing that sort of commentary over the trailer that depicted the tragic death of a young girl.

Games are about gameplay, not CGI movies. A game trailer that shows no gameplay might be entertaining, but it is useless as a metric for judging a game's quality. This should be an obvious statement, but think about how many game trailers we see these days that are bereft of gameplay footage. You can create an incredible trailer that draws attention to your game (DC Universe comes to mind), but that trailer could very well end up being more entertaining than the actual game (DC Universe comes to mind).

What if Angry Birds was really an advertisement to promote a remake of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds? It would still be an amazing game, but it wouldn't have anything to do with that movie. Would that make any sense? It's an extreme example, but a lesser form of that bait-and-switch is happening with Dead Island.

The takeaway: Dead Island looks like good fun, even if the debut trailer was a little disingenuous. Like shooting Nazis or making robots explode, hacking up zombies really never gets old, and Dead Island seems to offer a slightly different perspective on the pastime. The level I saw today was fairly straightforward, consisting of moving from point A to point B to point C while dispatching the zombies that got in our way. But at one point I saw a plane coming in for a landing. That fascinated me: does the outside world not know of the outbreak? Did someone send help? Is a zombie flying the plane?! I look forward to finding out.

The next step is for us to actually play the game for ourselves, which we'll get the chance to do before E3.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1153496p1.html
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I need game play, this trailer isn't doing justice. You can do this with any game and make it look good, ? look at Rouge Warrior or w/e that game was, great trailer horrible game.
  • joshuaboy
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Seems like they took Dead Rising 2 out of the mall and dropped it in .................................. Antigua :D
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    No Too Impressed With Trailer ...The Graphics Look Dated And It Was "Shot" Memento Style...Big Deal.....Looks Like A Dead Rising Sequel..Graphics Included
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Maaannnnn...I'm so disappointed with the gameplay news!
  • earth two superman
    edited March 2011
    Options
    see I dont mind if its a dead rising/left 4 dead knockoff honestly, still looks interesting to me. id get dead rising 2 if the ps3 version hadnt been shafted so badly.

But i was kind of hoping it would be a little more serious. like a zombie heavy rain.
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    edited March 2011
    Options
    see I dont mind if its a dead rising/left 4 dead knockoff honestly, still looks interesting to me. id get dead rising 2 if the ps3 version hadnt been shafted so badly.

But i was kind of hoping it would be a little more serious. like a zombie heavy rain.

Am I The Only That Wishes Heavy Rain Wouldve Had Supernatural/Horror Elements...The Atmosphere Just Begged For Demonic/Unspeakable Evil Type ? ....I Wish Quantic Would Handle The Silent Hill Series They Would Do That ? Justice
  • joshuaboy
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Am I The Only That Wishes Heavy Rain Wouldve Had Supernatural/Horror Elements...The Atmosphere Just Begged For Demonic/Unspeakable Evil Type ? ....I Wish Quantic Would Handle The Silent Hill Series They Would Do That ? Justice

Hell no!!! I hated the way Indigo Prophecy ended. This time they kept it grounded.
  • earth two superman
    edited March 2011
    Options

at first i almost thought it would have gone that way. like aliens took the kid or something lol
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    edited March 2011
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Hell no!!! I hated the way Indigo Prophecy ended. This time they kept it grounded.

Never Played It So I Cant Comment...But Quantic Should Try Its Hand A Psychological/Survival Horror Type ? Again....Silent Hill 2 Is Perfect Example How To Do It Right But Konami Dropped The Ball Along Time Ago When They Decided To Outsource The Series To Other Developers