Prayer: Right or Wrong way?

Options
HafBayked
HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
im not very religious or anything but i do believe in jesus and pray almost daily...but sometimes my prayers just seem empty when im done...like the prayer i say at the table before i eat, i got from my grandma (posted below)...me being older now and i think about it, i dont even know what im saying or what it means...i basically just memorized a poem or sumn lol...other times i can be praying about something but lose focus b/c of a phone/noise, etc. and be mad like "damn i gotta start over" lol...

Comments

• HafBayked
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Bless us oh lord
    for these? i give
    which we are about to recieve
    thy bounty
    the Christ oh lord,
    amen
  • Tha-Realist
    Tha-Realist Members Posts: 491
    edited February 2011
    Options
    HAF BAYKED wrote: »
    im not very religious or anything but i do believe in jesus and pray almost daily...but sometimes my prayers just seem empty when im done...like the prayer i say at the table before i eat, i got from my grandma (posted below)...me being older now and i think about it, i dont even know what im saying or what it means...i basically just memorized a poem or sumn lol...other times i can be praying about something but lose focus b/c of a phone/noise, etc. and be mad like "damn i gotta start over" lol...

Tha bolded pretty much sums it up... Tha reason your prayer seems empty is because you're talking to yourself, nobody can add any substance to it except for you.. If you feel like ? is speaking to you in your prayer it's simply your subconscious self.. When will people realize this.
  • Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Bless us oh lord
    for these? i give
    which we are about to recieve

thy bounty
    the Christ oh lord,
    amen

What? You sure you're saying that right? Who made this one up? Its just giving thanks in a complicated manner, I presume. We had a much simpler one that went like this.

? is great
    ? is good
    Thank you lord for our food
    bow our heads
    as we be fed
    Give us Lord our daily bread. Amen.

<
    Has no idea who made that one up either.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

Well, who is to say that there is something you need to feel after you pray? As much as there is the belief that ? will answer prayer, it shouldn't give people a reason to think that ? is like a genie who grants wishes. If one day after you pray you do feel "enlightened", be very, very careful that it may be more of a curse than it is a blessing.
  • HafBayked
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Super Lex wrote: »
    What? You sure you're saying that right? Who made this one up? Its just giving thanks in a complicated manner, I presume. We had a much simpler one that went like this.

? is great
    ? is good
    Thank you lord for our food
    bow our heads
    as we be fed
    Give us Lord our daily bread. Amen.

<
    Has no idea who made that one up either.

actually i dont kno if its right or where it originated...like i said i got it from grandma when i was little on some " repeat after me" stuff and just kept saying it...yeah i've heard that one...we said it in elementary b4 we went to lunch
  • HafBayked
    edited February 2011
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    Well, who is to say that there is something you need to feel after you pray? As much as there is the belief that ? will answer prayer, it shouldn't give people a reason to think that ? is like a genie who grants wishes. If one day after you pray you do feel "enlightened", be very, very careful that it may be more of a curse than it is a blessing.

yea im not waiting for an answer or to feel "enlightened" after i pray...just sometimes it feels geniune and sometimes not
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    yea im not waiting for an answer or to feel "enlightened" after i pray...just sometimes it feels geniune and sometimes not

It's normal...just like good days and bad days. Just as long as you still feel that prayer is important.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I think 99% of prayers are wrong. I can say I always prayed wrong and I didn't know how to pray right.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Praying for understanding & wisdom = right way

Praying for anything else = wrong way

Imo anyway
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited February 2011
    Options
    it's not about what you pray for but who you pray to

Jesus can't hear you and he wouldn't have the power to help you if he did

Now you can ask ? for anything he's the most beneficent but do you think you should be praying for that stripper to slurp you up after her set is over? use some common sense with it as with anything