Pokemon Black/White March 4th 2011 Discussion Thread...

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in IllGaming
bw.jpg

nk6mvY.jpg

Stepping into it's 5th Generation, Pokemon Black and White will be released in a little under two weeks as of this post... it's already a big success in Japan and is likely to sell really well Stateside and in Europe. I remember there being a post here about Pokemon fans... so I know that there are some who post on this board...

I haven't played it since it was first released on the Game Boy. I have Blue and Red still for my Game Boy Colour, but I'm thinking I would like to play through it again seeing as how these two versions seem expansive and different.

There's also a great difference in the two versions, with different cities/forests and pokemon in each of the games, along with the legendary Pokemon that you can catch being different as well... but appearing in both versions.

Who's copping? And if you're getting it, which version are you getting and why?

If you've already got the Japanese version, how did you find the game in comparison with the others?

Comments

• Dakari
    Dakari Members Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'll probably get it during the Summer. Might get white so I can get the black dragon.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i'll wait for a good rom and download it for free
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Dakari wrote: »

No, Pokemon is a great RPG, everyone agreed with this when it was first released...
    glowy wrote: »
    I'll probably get it during the Summer. Might get white so I can get the black dragon.

I've just pre-ordered the white version for the same reason... but I'm going to use reward points to pre-order the black version... as I want to check out Black City which looks really cool and a change to the usual Pokemon forests...

Why you waiting until the summer?
    i'll wait for a good rom and download it for free

You got one of those DS Cards?
  • glowy
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Because of school, I might order it from Amazon anyway though.

Never ordered a new game online, do they ship it a couple days before release date, or do you have to wait till the release date for them to ship it?
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Because of school, I might order it from Amazon anyway though.

Never ordered a new game online, do they ship it a couple days before release date, or do you have to wait till the release date for them to ship it?

Most of the time, you receive them earlier than release date as they try to ensure that you receive it in time. It's the best way generally, I'm going to pre-order from two different sites, whichever arrives first will be the game that I play through...

Here's some more information regarding the game:

Pokémon White Version is a handheld Role-Playing game (RPG) for play on the Nintendo DS / DSi. Released as a companion game to the DS / DSi title Pokémon Black Version, in it players enjoy classic challenging RPG-Adventure Pokémon gameplay as they capture wild Pokémon and utilize them in face-offs against other Trainers to see who is the best. Additional freatures include: access to the Legendary Pokémon, Zekrom; the player's choice of one of three starter Pokémon; an all-new and diverse game region, Unova; improved graphics; multiple new battle modes; the ability to wirelessly trade Pokémon; multiplayer options and more.

pokemon.wht.logo.175.jpg

An All-New World Filled with All-New Pokémon

Pokémon White Version features the same handheld RPG and Adventure gameplay that has consistently thrilled Nintendo DS players, both young and more experienced, but it also introduces players to an all-new Unova region. Brought to life with improved graphics, Unova is a mix of urban and natural landscapes in which players are just as likely to encounter skyscrapers and bridges, as they are to walk alongside mountains and seascapes. It is of course also filled with a potent blend of all-new Pokémon, including the Legendary Vast White Pokémon Reshiram and the Deep Black Pokémon Zekrom. Stepping into the role of either a male or female Trainer, players further have their choice of their first Pokémon, who will serve as the first of many Pokémon companions in their travels through Unova, as they attempt to capture every wild Pokémon variety available and test their skills against other Trainers in turn-based battles.

Experience Legendary Pokémon

Both of the Legendary Pokémon Reshiram and Zekrom appear in Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version, but each can only be caught in their respective versions. The Legendary Pokémon Reshiram appears on the cover of Pokémon Black Version Version and the Legendary Pokémon Zekrom is seen on the cover of Pokémon White Version Version. See their types, abilities and profiles below.

pokemon.blk-wte.reshiram.100.jpg

Appearance: Pokemon Black Version
    Type: Dragon/Fire
    Category: Vast White Pokemon
    Ability: Turboblaze
    Profile: Reshiram can engulf its surroundings in flames.

pokemon.blk-wte.zekrom.100.jpg

Appearance: Pokemon White Version
    Type: Dragon/Electric
    Category: Deep Black Pokemon
    Ability: Teravolt
    Profile: Zekrom can disappear inside thunderclouds and fly across the skies.

New Region: Unova

pokemon.blk-wte.02.lg.jpg

New Battle Modes Add a New Level of Strategy

In addition to a wealth of new Pokémon for players to catch, train and battle with, Pokémon White Version also supplies players with entirely new ways to fight with its new Battle Modes: Triple Battles and Rotation Battles. Stay tuned for more information on these two new game modes as more information is released on Pokémon White Version.

Your Choice of Starter Pokémon

Pokémon White Version starts you off on your new Pokémon adventure with a trusty Pokémon companion. Choose the Pokémon you like the most - it will be with you through thick and thin as you explore the Unova region. The three starter Pokémon all have different types. Your knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of these types will be put to the test early and often.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Snivy

pokemon.blk-wte.snivy.75.jpg

Tepig

pokemon.blk-wte.tepig.75.jpg

Oshawatt

pokemon.blk-wte.oshawatt.75.jpg

Key Game Features

An all-new world filled with all new Pokémon to catch, train and battle with
    Collect all the Pokémon available in the Pokémon White Version, then wirelessly trade with Pokémon Black Version owners to complete the combined games' Pokédexes
    Experience both Legendary Pokémon: Reshiram and Zekrom - with Zekrom available for capture in Pokémon White Version
    Exciting new battle modes including: Triple Battles and Rotation Battles
    Play as either a girl or boy Pokémon Trainer
    Stay tuned for more exciting plot twists, gameplay features and game modes to be released as game launch approaches
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ya'll grown ass men playin Pokemon.

SMFH.

I ain't playin no ? Pokeymon, u ? ? .

I'm out this wack thread.

Swiffness uses ESCAPE ROPE!
  • glowy
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

SMFH.

lol .
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

SMFH.

:dead:.......

pikadie.jpeg
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    rofl @ uses escape rope
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited February 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

You got one of those DS Cards?

yep

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    theres no emulator for DS on PC's yet? Nintendo ? always got emulators early
  • glowy
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Most of the time, you receive them earlier than release date as they try to ensure that you receive it in time. It's the best way generally, I'm going to pre-order from two different sites, whichever arrives first will be the game that I play through...

Here's some more information regarding the game:

Pokémon White Version is a handheld Role-Playing game (RPG) for play on the Nintendo DS / DSi. Released as a companion game to the DS / DSi title Pokémon Black Version, in it players enjoy classic challenging RPG-Adventure Pokémon gameplay as they capture wild Pokémon and utilize them in face-offs against other Trainers to see who is the best. Additional freatures include: access to the Legendary Pokémon, Zekrom; the player's choice of one of three starter Pokémon; an all-new and diverse game region, Unova; improved graphics; multiple new battle modes; the ability to wirelessly trade Pokémon; multiplayer options and more.

pokemon.wht.logo.175.jpg

An All-New World Filled with All-New Pokémon

Pokémon White Version features the same handheld RPG and Adventure gameplay that has consistently thrilled Nintendo DS players, both young and more experienced, but it also introduces players to an all-new Unova region. Brought to life with improved graphics, Unova is a mix of urban and natural landscapes in which players are just as likely to encounter skyscrapers and bridges, as they are to walk alongside mountains and seascapes. It is of course also filled with a potent blend of all-new Pokémon, including the Legendary Vast White Pokémon Reshiram and the Deep Black Pokémon Zekrom. Stepping into the role of either a male or female Trainer, players further have their choice of their first Pokémon, who will serve as the first of many Pokémon companions in their travels through Unova, as they attempt to capture every wild Pokémon variety available and test their skills against other Trainers in turn-based battles.

Experience Legendary Pokémon

Both of the Legendary Pokémon Reshiram and Zekrom appear in Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version, but each can only be caught in their respective versions. The Legendary Pokémon Reshiram appears on the cover of Pokémon Black Version Version and the Legendary Pokémon Zekrom is seen on the cover of Pokémon White Version Version. See their types, abilities and profiles below.

pokemon.blk-wte.reshiram.100.jpg

Appearance: Pokemon Black Version
    Type: Dragon/Fire
    Category: Vast White Pokemon
    Ability: Turboblaze
    Profile: Reshiram can engulf its surroundings in flames.

pokemon.blk-wte.zekrom.100.jpg

Appearance: Pokemon White Version
    Type: Dragon/Electric
    Category: Deep Black Pokemon
    Ability: Teravolt
    Profile: Zekrom can disappear inside thunderclouds and fly across the skies.

New Region: Unova

pokemon.blk-wte.02.lg.jpg

New Battle Modes Add a New Level of Strategy

In addition to a wealth of new Pokémon for players to catch, train and battle with, Pokémon White Version also supplies players with entirely new ways to fight with its new Battle Modes: Triple Battles and Rotation Battles. Stay tuned for more information on these two new game modes as more information is released on Pokémon White Version.

Your Choice of Starter Pokémon

Pokémon White Version starts you off on your new Pokémon adventure with a trusty Pokémon companion. Choose the Pokémon you like the most - it will be with you through thick and thin as you explore the Unova region. The three starter Pokémon all have different types. Your knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of these types will be put to the test early and often.

Cool, might go ahead and pre-order from amazon thing.
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited February 2011
    Options
    theres no emulator for DS on PC's yet? Nintendo ? always got emulators early

yes theres more than 1 and its been around for a long time
  • TexAtRandom
    TexAtRandom Members Posts: 183
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ? im still gotta beat pokemon yellow on my droid
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ? im still gotta beat pokemon yellow on my droid

lol i did the same thing for the gba pokemon game
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    got damn pokemon still making games
  • glowy
    edited February 2011
    Options
    got damn pokemon still making games

Made a comeback with D/P/P

Added online trading and battling.

Also kept this thing in called EV training, something for older pokemon players to do.

Little kids wondering why you keep OHKOing their pokemon when they are all the same level = win.

(meh, not really, but it's kinda funny to watch someone do this)
  • Datdude87
    Datdude87 Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    not gonna lie...ima check it out. i was huge fan when they 1st came out, and copped each main series game on whatever handheld console nintendo had out. y not continue with this? *'ye shrug*
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Datdude87 wrote: »
    not gonna lie...ima check it out. i was huge fan when they 1st came out, and copped each main series game on whatever handheld console nintendo had out. y not continue with this? *'ye shrug*

I haven't played since the first titles... would you get both Black and White or would you get a 4th generation pokemon as well as white?
  • glowy
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I haven't played since the first titles... would you get both Black and White or would you get a 4th generation pokemon as well as white?

Damn, didn't see this part of your first post.

Pokemon platinum is def worth a pick up. Will give you a heads up on some of the new systems implemented in the newer pokemon versions.

-Breeding

-Berries

-Double battles

- The battle tower

- Gym leader rematches

-etc.
  • Datdude87
    Datdude87 Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

dam...dam...u really out the loop-dam...? ...dam. ? . lol. umm well if i was u, i would probably look into heartgold or soulsilver since they are remakes of gold and silver that u also missed out on. they are the most recent games to come out with all the 4th gen additons. i would also look into platinum as well since that was in a new area and is the upgrade version of diamond and pearl. then i'd get black or white.
    Damn, didn't see this part of your first post.

Pokemon platinum is def worth a pick up. Will give you a heads up on some of the new systems implemented in the newer pokemon versions.

-Breeding

-Berries

-Double battles

- The battle tower

- Gym leader rematches

-etc.

the biggest 1 though is the split of special and physcial attacks. in gen 1, u had specific types attacks as either special or physical. for example, fire attacks were special(affected by the special stat) and fighting attacks were physical(affected by the attack/defense stat). in gen 2 and 3, it was continued except that you had the special stat split in 2; special attack and special defense. in gen 4, they went further an split each actual attack into special and physcial.

for example, fire punch was known as a special attack in gen 1-3. why? because it was a fire attack and all fire moves where special attacks. well now, it is a physical attack b/c you are physcially punching your opponent. so the amount of damage you do would be dependent on your attack stat and your opponents defense stat. Now, in gen 4, they introduced a move called "focus blast", its pretty much like a hadoken u'd see on street figther or a kamehameha u'd see on DBZ. it is a fighting-type move.

in gen 1, this move would have been affected by the attack/defense stat. the same goes for gen 2 and 3. why? because its a fighting type move and all fighting moves where physical. well in gen 4, because of the actual split of moves being special or physical, focus blast is a special fighting type move affected by your special attack and your opponents special defense.

you also had a few type changes as well. the addition of dark and steel types in gen 2. magnamite was orginally just an electric type but now he's a steel/electric type.

for competitive battling, you had the additon of effort values or EVs. they were present in gen 1 but it was bearly noticed. it had a complete overhaul in gen 3. you essientally could train a charmander, fight certain pokemon, evolve him into a charizard, fight another charizard of the same level and OHKO(one hit knockout) him. how? because your charizards stats are light years above the other charizard. each pokemon in the game gives a certain amount of EVs. for example, if you fight a bunch of machoke. your attack would be way higher than another pokemon of your same kind(we'll stick with the charmander for now) why would id b higher? b/c machoke gives 2 attack EVs every time you defeat 1. now there is a limit. each stat has a max of 255 EVs but each pokemon can only hold 510. so you have to divide it up the best way you feel. now the EVs is an advance topic and i dont recommend you getting into it until u get the hang of things. but i felt i should mention it if you happen to battle some1 and wonder y his level 25 poliwhirl knocked out your level 50 venasaur with bubblebeam. this link should explain it alot more than me.

http://www.psypokes.com/lab/evguide.php
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values

but im lookin a forward to it, i normally plan out my team way b4 i get the game but in this case...ima play it and jus see what happens
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited February 2011
    Options
    speakin of pokemon, any1 got platinum or hg/ss and wanna get that ass whooped?
  • rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    still gots my Game Boy Color wit Pokemon Yellow ? WHAT U NO BOUT DAT!!!!!!

remember whenver they was a block in the road or w/e i didnt play that sht for days ? off