Did trading 3 big men really impact the Celtics depth chart come playoff time?

Options
one_manshow
one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
The Celtics traded their fierce inside presence Kendrick Perkins only a month after he returned to lineup, along with guard Nate Robinson to the OKC Thunder in exchange for center Nenad Kristic and good shooting forward, Jeff Green.

Not only did Perkins take a powder from Boston, but the team shipped their back-up bigs Nemih Erden and Luke Haragody to Cleveland for a second round pick. Danny Ainge it's hard to understand divesting every big man besides the of-injured O'Neal boys and Big Baby Davis, while replacing them with a good shooting forward, a second round pick and a seven-footer (Nenad Kristic)

Nice to get a high second round pick to help the team in the future, but what exactly does it do for the present-day Eastern Conference leaders?

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I didn't think it's the actual trading, of three big men, versus the fact that they traded their starting Center----who's not even 25 years old yet, mind you! And you didn't replenish his position.

And he wasn't just their starting Center, he was family. So now, mgmt. has depleted the morale of the remaining players, yep, they've now done something that will have (-) result, once it unfurls/shows that players are still humans with emotions that can override basketball as an employee/collecting a paycheck to win championships, although caused by basketball.

I like what Paul Pierce said when he took a subliminal-swipe at the trade/reminded folk that chemistry isn't just on the court...you can find her at the hotel, the walk-through, the shootaround and on, to the lockeroom.

That's some powerful ? , for mgmt. to think about...especially GM's who are former players.

not to nitpick but he's 26 years old

anyway i think its obvious what danny ainge is trying to do, he wants to get younger while still trying to be able to compete for a championship, jeff green is a solid young player who will get better. i do think they are relying on shaq and jo too much because they are always hurt. but this also shows that danny ainge believes the team didn't need perkins because the celtics played well without him for much this year
  • one_manshow
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I didn't think it's the actual trading, of three big men, versus the fact that they traded their starting Center----who's not even 25 years old yet, mind you! And you didn't replenish his position, for a playoff run that's going to require a lot of big bodies in the middle/should they make it to the Conference Final or NBA Finals

And he wasn't just their starting Center, he was family. So more importantly, now mgmt. has depleted the morale of the remaining players, yep, they've now done something that will have (-) result, once it unfurls/shows that players are still humans with emotions that can override basketball as an employee/collecting a paycheck to win championships, although caused by basketball.

I like what Paul Pierce said when he took a subliminal-swipe at the trade/reminded folk that chemistry isn't just on the court, nope, that's not how chemistry = nba championships...for that, you can find her at the hotel, the walk-through, the shootaround and on, to the lockeroom.

That's some powerful ? , for mgmt. to re-connect with...especially GM's who are former players.

Danny Ainge knew Perkins wouldn't resign with the money they offered him for an extension a couple weeks ago. So from a GM point of view he wanted to get something in return before Perkins left this summer. Plus he was thinking long term once Pierce/KG are gone its time to rebuild.

Although he was injured most of this season it looked like he was on the come up past couple games before the All Star break.

Don't know how Krystic makes them better he is stand outside and shoot jumpers type of C while Green is having a disappointing season.

I think this trade leaves the Celtics vulnerable don't see them making the finals this season (unless Sheed comes back) especially in the playoffs where physical presence/defense is needed.
  • one_manshow
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I don't understand why people jumping to conclusions saying the Perkins acquistion makes the Thunder contenders.

If Perkins comes back healthy (which I doubt) he will basically have to learn a new offense, defense and improve his conditioning since the Thunder love to run in transition.

Danny Ainge is a smart man after Perkins harmed his left knee Tuesday in a Boston Celtics‘ win over a Golden State Warriors he said

"“I was like, [expletive], man. Not again,I was like, it can’t be that. It really runs by your mind. we mean, we knew it was something which wasn’t right. But after a minute, we knew it wasn’t which serious, either.”

^ Thats ducktales he probably got a diagnosis from Celtics training staff knowing that Perkins wouldn't be close 100% this season therefore shipping him before it got any serious. Its like a mechanic selling you a whip that has problems.
  • 5th Letter
    edited February 2011
    Options
    not to nitpick, but he was their youngest, most-experienced player (Von Wafer and the Celtics rookies, were the only players younger than Perk)

...me myself, I believe Danny Ainge feels like he's not going to recover from that knee-injury and didn't want the Celts to be on the hook, for that fat contract Perk is going to seek pretty soon.

rondo was younger but you make a good point about perkins and his knee issues.
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    they gonna get over it once everyone gets acquainted
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    here w go again
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    The Cs wouldnt be able to afford Perk with 3 max players and rondos new contract kicking in. Had to get something for him.
    Danny ainge saw what happened when they held onto the last big 3 too long in the 80s. And if Sam Dalembert gets a buy out the Cs will be all over him and this wont be an issue
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    if the oneal brothers get injured like they always do, during the playoffs, its a wrap
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    bigrizz wrote: »
    The Cs wouldnt be able to afford Perk with 3 max players and rondos new contract kicking in. Had to get something for him.
    Danny ainge saw what happened when they held onto the last big 3 too long in the 80s. And if Sam Dalembert gets a buy out the Cs will be all over him and this wont be an issue

they didn't even want to give him up @ the trade deadline, and trust me a lot of people called. I doubt sam is getting a buyout. Anyways ainge has mentioned in more than one interview since the trade that he thinks shaq deserves to start, so that plus the probability of perk not extending must be what contributed to this.......
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    bigrizz wrote: »
    I was under the impression KG was the only one with a max contract?

While the celtics are way over the cap they are in pretty decent shape salary wise for the next few yrs I'm sure they will trade Sheed's contract next yr
  • one_manshow
    edited February 2011
    Options
    No way Sacramento buys out Dalembert they traded Landry so he will be getting more minutes along with Cousins and Thompson.

Will be interesting to see what they do if Davis or Garnett go down with an injury.
  • 5th Letter
    edited February 2011
    Options
    they plan on signing troy murphy so they'll have the o'neals, krstic and murphy who are all injury prone