There can only be 3 contenders for GOAT Boxer. Who do u pick and why?

Options

Comments

• Mantequilla
    Mantequilla Members Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Seansosa wrote: »
    what did robinson do out side the ring that made him such?

Ray beat down on his women like they were in the ring... Pretty sure theres a Quote out there from his Son saying the smackdowns made his Mother miscarry 4-5 times alone
  • Seansosa
    Seansosa Members Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Ray beat down on his women like they were in the ring... Pretty sure theres a Quote out there from his Son saying the smackdowns made his Mother miscarry 4-5 times alone

damn! never knew that
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

damn!

But Sugar Ray Robinson record is stil ridiculous. No one wil ever top that
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Robinson's resume doesn't compare to Greb's for the record. Beat MUCH more bigger and better men.
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Robinson's resume doesn't compare to Greb's for the record. Beat MUCH more bigger and better men.

Greb deserves more credit than he actually gets especially fightin wit one eye and becoming the only one that beat Gene Tunney

But you gotta agree that SRR's record wuz jus ridiculous, i jus dont see nobody ever matchin it let alone toppin it even tho he beat up nobodies
  • smittysmith
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Mumo X wrote: »
    Greb deserves more credit than he actually gets especially fightin wit one eye and becoming the only one that beat Gene Tunney

But you gotta agree that SRR's record wuz jus ridiculous, i jus dont see nobody ever matchin it let alone toppin it even tho he beat up nobodies

Oh, I definitely agree. At his peak he was literally unbeatable (which his record during that time confirms). Amazingly, during the 1st 6 yrs of his career Ray had already had wins against 10 HOF's....ridiculous. Still not seeing Greb though.
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I stil dont understand why Johnson dint fight Langford?

That would hav been the Greatest fight in the History of the sport
  • smittysmith
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I stil dont understand why Johnson dint fight Langford?

That would hav been the Greatest fight in the History of the sport

True, their actual encounter would hold no weight of what could of been when Langford actually reached his peak. This is the story of the sport though, a variety of super match-ups we never got a chance to see for whatever reason and all we can do is speculate.
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    True, their actual encounter would hold no weight of what could of been when Langford actually reached his peak. This is the story of the sport though, a variety of super match-ups we never got a chance to see for whatever reason and all we can do is speculate.

i hear you. Langford wuz one of those unlucky fighters. He had the talent, heart and skillset to become the GOAT contender but blindness robbed him all of that and he wuznt given the chance to contend for a title.

Whats yo top 5 fighters?
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The best 3 ive seen with my eyes were

Jones Jr.
    Whitaker
    Mayweather
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    doubletee wrote: »
    The best 3 ive seen with my eyes were

Jones Jr.
    Whitaker
    Mayweather

I respect your opinion but dont you think its wise you go pick up dvds of past fighters and see they contribution to the sport?
  • Mantequilla
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Oh, I definitely agree. At his peak he was literally unbeatable (which his record during that time confirms). Amazingly, during the 1st 6 yrs of his career Ray had already had wins against 10 HOF's....ridiculous. Still not seeing Greb though.

Grebs fearlessness and willingness to take on anyone, anytime set him on the top tier. Once Klompton eventually drops his Greb book its over. Ive read snippets of Moyles attempt at a Greb book & honestly I expected more

2011-04-12_09-21-47_672.jpg
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Apollo Creed>>>>>>>>>
  • smittysmith
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i hear you. Langford wuz one of those unlucky fighters. He had the talent, heart and skillset to become the GOAT contender but blindness robbed him all of that and he wuznt given the chance to contend for a title.

Whats yo top 5 fighters?

1a. Harry Greb
    1b. Ray Robinson
    2. Sam Langford
    3. Henry Armstrong
    4. Bob Fitzsimmons
    5. Ezzard Charles
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Grebs fearlessness and willingness to take on anyone, anytime set him on the top tier. Once Klompton eventually drops his Greb book its over. Ive read snippets of Moyles attempt at a Greb book & honestly I expected more

2011-04-12_09-21-47_672.jpg

Greb is criminally slept on though. Hz name rarely comes up in the GOAT convo.

Ay Mante, u got a link on that klompton book?
    1a. Harry Greb
    1b. Ray Robinson
    2. Sam Langford
    3. Henry Armstrong
    4. Bob Fitzsimmons
    5. Ezzard Charles

dope list but no Ali??
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Sugar
    Cassious
    Emanuel Agustus
  • Mantequilla
    edited April 2011
    Options
    u got a link on that klompton book?

Hes been working on his book for years, a real perfectionist and unmatched modern boxing historian. All I can say is eventually (really hope in a year or 2)

And Mumo, Grebs name continually comes up in the GOAT convos, usually in the top 3. If not, your reading some ? by Burt Sugar & Co
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    harry greb is the GOAT MW
  • Coo Coo Cal's Beanie
    Coo Coo Cal's Beanie Members Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Tyson, Floyd Mayweather, Lennox Lewis, Riddick Bowe >>>>
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Sugar
    Cassious
    Emanuel Agustus

dope list H-Rap

And Mumo, Grebs name continually comes up in the GOAT convos, usually in the top 3. If not, your reading some ? by Burt Sugar & Co

lol @ bert sugar.

All im sayin is that he should be held in the same breath as Ali and SRR but these two always get placed on top of Greb in most lists ive come across.

I hate it when some dudes only consider him as the Greatest middle weight champion when he more than that. Greb had HEART and wuz a ruthless,merciless,unbeatable,ferocious fighter who fought most of hz career wit one eye.

Human Windmill deserves alot more.

Ay Mante you got any books or dvds you recommend i check em out
  • bscoop
    bscoop Members Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

Whats yo top 5 fighters?

Langford and Jackson did fight...in 1906 and Langford lost by decision
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    bscoop wrote: »
    Langford and Jackson did fight...in 1906 and Langford lost by decision

But when Johnson wuz heavyweight champion he refused to giv Langford a shot @ the title. Lang woulda beaten up hz ass in a rematch thats why jack declined. Always givin dumb excuses.
  • smittysmith
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Greb is criminally slept on though. Hz name rarely comes up in the GOAT convo.

Ay Mante, u got a link on that klompton book?

dope list but no Ali??

He falls in my top 10, theirs a few that beat him out in few departments or at least equal him in achievements, longevity, skill and title reign.
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    He falls in my top 10, theirs a few that beat him out in few departments or at least equal him in achievements, longevity, skill and title reign.

I cant fault you for that. ? is subjective. The thing is that there so many fighters that were dominant but cant even get mentioned as top 10. I hav never seen a sport thats difficult in choosin the ten best like Boxing. Who gets in and who gets left out.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I respect your opinion but dont you think its wise you go pick up dvds of past fighters and see they contribution to the sport?

Cool but its all based on opinion thats why i say those were the best 3 ive seen fight in my lifetime.

**young ? post **