Ladies...what are your dreams/goals and what have you done to achieve them?

Options
DEE-LICIOUS
DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Powder Room
Reading all these articles about how black women are becoming more educated, more successful, etc....I am just wondering what exactly my IC ladies are doing.

This isn't just about black women either - I just explained what inspired me to make this thread.

But anyway, so what are your goals? What have you done to achieve them? What do you plan on doing? How hard is it to achieve these goals while having a child to take care of? Lets start a dialogue on this.....

Comments

• DEE-LICIOUS
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ok wait...I didn't even say mine.

My long term goal is to open my own corporate event planning business. I want a meeting planning department, an event planning department and a drayage department. I'm still working on my business plan, and I should get this off the ground in 3 years. My plan is to start w.the meeting planning portion because I know exactly whats missing in that field/what needs haven't been met and I think that'll make me the most money while starting.

Short term goal is to get a position as an assistant director in my field. Right now I'm a manager, which is good for my age range but I would like a bigger challenge. Been at this job for a while and there are no opportunities for growth and no money to plan events the way I'd like, so....I definitely can't wait to leave and be challenged.

Steps I've taken to achieve my goal- Got my degree, working on my masters now...in a week I take my comps which will determine if I graduate or not. Hopefully I gradate in May! I've also joined professional orgs and go to plenty of trainings to advance my knowledge. I'll be going for my professional certification after I get my Masters...sposed to take that test next January (they only offer it twice a year smh) and after that...i'll be working on my doctorate but I KNOW imma take a few years before I enroll in school for that. That's not needed for my field...I just want it.

ok i'll be in the library till 11pm :( but hopefully yall respond.
  • MICHAEL-V.I.
    MICHAEL-V.I. Members Posts: 1,898 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

reading all these articles about how black women are becoming more educated, more successful, etc....i am just wondering what exactly my ic ladies are doing.

This isn't just about black women either - i just explained what inspired me to make this thread.

But anyway, so what are your goals? What have you done to achieve them? What do you plan on doing? How hard is it to achieve these goals while having a child to take care of? Lets start a dialogue on this.....

dee-gusting yo thread is dying b

your fellow powder room comrades suffer from a serious online ailment called deaf mutism and they speak in braille like hellen keller and marlee matlin
  • MICHAEL-V.I.
    edited March 2011
    Options
    DEE yoU B.I.G BOSS like ROSS

Can I Hold somethin Baller baller?

I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday DEE-

Thread Information

There are currently 15 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 13 guests)

MICHAEL-V.I.* a.mann

Tags for this Thread

^^^^^^^^

HELLO PEOPLE , AID AND ASSIST DEE, POST IN HER THREAD LURKERS

SHE FROM NYC, SHE GONNA BUCK 50 YOU IF YOU DON'T POST UP
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I'm on my phone and that's way too much typing.

Right now I'm focused on my short term goals which is getting myself in a position where I can focus on my long term goals. This is the year though...I'm confident in that.
  • jellybean84
    jellybean84 Confirm Email Posts: 1,560
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I cant say that I have a goal right now....My brain is quite foggy, too much going on, All I can say is that Im an artist and Im a photographer....I want to take that somewhere, I just dont know where yet.....I just want to be free with my thoughts and my camera :)
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    dee what is your field?
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Oh and being a single parent definitely takes a toll on your plans and goals. One of my main goals is to return to school but that will have to wait until she's in school at least.
  • sammm
    sammm Members Posts: 1,139
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i want to start my own agency.
    that hires freelance make up artist with raw talent, photographers and even stylist.
    im trying to become a make up artist for the grammys, the oscars even major Broadway plays.
    right now i freelance and iv'e done a music video.
    im in the works with a few photographers and models who are looking to build their portfolio so i can build mine aswell.
  • jellybean84
    jellybean84 Confirm Email Posts: 1,560
    edited March 2011
    Options
    sammm wrote: »
    i want to start my own agency.
    that hires freelance make up artist with raw talent, photographers and even stylist.
    im trying to become a make up artist for the grammys, the oscars even major Broadway plays.
    right now i freelance and iv'e done a music video.
    im in the works with a few photographers and models who are looking to build their portfolio so i can build mine aswell.

Im a photographer with RAW talent.....see ya in a few years :D
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    sometimes i wanna be a surgeon next i wanna be a pharmacist

but im in college right now working towards them
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    *negativity here*

BUt seriously. Nice Dee building a future for her baby. Big ups for that ma. A lot of females out there would be depending on a man.
  • Aquaf!nafloe
    Aquaf!nafloe Confirm Email Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    open up an organization devoted to the study of hyperemisis gravidarium and other major high risk pregnancy issues that are still being investigated....wat have i done to contribute so far??? sufferd through the ? and yearly donations to helpher.org....
  • Aquaf!nafloe
    Aquaf!nafloe Confirm Email Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

jelly u gota big ? .............
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Short term goals--finish school and begin teaching middle school math.
    Long term goal--open my own after school program for middle school students....that's the age group that needs the most attention and the group that gets looked over the most.

When you're in elementary you have all of these daycare options and when you're in high school you have all of these after school activities/clubs to occupy your time. A lot of middle school kids have neither of those, and you know what idle time leads to.... So, that's why I'm particularly interested with that age group. If no one else cares, Blue cares.

What am I doing to achieve them? Well, I'm in school now and on track to graduate soon. I finally found a major that I like, lol. As far as the long term, I've been researching other programs for teens and I've even made a connection with a grant writer that's told me how/where to take courses on grant writing. But, first thing first....teaching.
  • MICHAEL-V.I.
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The Fine Upstanding Ladies of The Ill Community
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I would like to be an actress

they already casted Shrek awhile ago. and i dont think theyre making anymore of those movies.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Great thread Dee !

Short term goals - finish my requirements to become board certified in family law and a mediator. I have to do a bunch of CLE's and 2 more trials... it will most likely take me at least a year. I've also began the process of buying a house. There are 2 schools my son wants to go to highschool so I'm going to try to move in those neighborhoods. Finally continue to raise my future Heisman winner , I've been approached by this coach at a private school that wants my son to play for them. Not sure about it but they are going to have him in a few camps this summer so we'll see how he likes it.

Long term goals - go back to school to become an attorney and start my own practice.
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Really? Have you ever considered acting? You should audition for Donkey. They never run out a need for ? . :)

Actually, I'm pretty talented at acting. Good enough to be professional at it.

allegedlyyyyy!
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback ladies!! Nice to see plans being carried out!
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I cant say that I have a goal right now....My brain is quite foggy, too much going on, All I can say is that Im an artist and Im a photographer....I want to take that somewhere, I just dont know where yet.....I just want to be free with my thoughts and my camera :)
    Well, what do you do now though? Do you work? Go to school?
    dee what is your field?
    Corporate Event Planner
    I would like to be an actress and the head of my own magazine. I've taken more steps to being an actress than the magazine while still being in school.

Whats ur major?
  • 100%Sagittarius
    100%Sagittarius Members Posts: 478
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Short term: Graduate with my Doctorate. I have 1 year down, 3 years left. That's really my only short term goal, other than fitness goals, which don't really seem to fit here.....

Long term: I want to travel, overseas. I can basically take my degree anywhere, it's my dream life to live somewhere for a year or 2, then move somewhere completely different. I also want to get my pilot's license one day and learn how to play the drums one day. I love drums for some reason, I always have.

Edit: I forgot to say..... Good thread! Very interesting reading about people's real lives
  • sammm
    sammm Members Posts: 1,139
    edited March 2011
    Options

Jelly if you're serious when It starts to warm up completely we should team up.
    I have a couple of photoshoot ideas and if you want we can do it together.
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ok wait...I didn't even say mine.

My long term goal is to open my own corporate event planning business. I want a meeting planning department, an event planning department and a drayage department. I'm still working on my business plan, and I should get this off the ground in 3 years. My plan is to start w.the meeting planning portion because I know exactly whats missing in that field/what needs haven't been met and I think that'll make me the most money while starting.

Short term goal is to get a position as an assistant director in my field. Right now I'm a manager, which is good for my age range but I would like a bigger challenge. Been at this job for a while and there are no opportunities for growth and no money to plan events the way I'd like, so....I definitely can't wait to leave and be challenged.

Steps I've taken to achieve my goal- Got my degree, working on my masters now...in a week I take my comps which will determine if I graduate or not. Hopefully I gradate in May! I've also joined professional orgs and go to plenty of trainings to advance my knowledge. I'll be going for my professional certification after I get my Masters...sposed to take that test next January (they only offer it twice a year smh) and after that...i'll be working on my doctorate but I KNOW imma take a few years before I enroll in school for that. That's not needed for my field...I just want it.

ok i'll be in the library till 11pm :( but hopefully yall respond.

Good ? Dee!
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    good thread :tu

I've always had a long term goal of providing a safe haven for victims of abuse that includes help for abusers

I've been working closely with several donors and and others who share my vision

it's hard because the way people approach domestic violence its so weird, kind of throwing away the baby with the bath water mentality

the solution always stops with an abuser doing a short sentence or or probation and a kind of laughable anger management class

the problem is it really doesn't address the roots causes of these situations, generally speaking most abusers and their victims experienced physical or sexual abuse, if not both as a child, and they will more than likely pass that behavior, be it a victim or aggressor, to their children, whether or not the law does get involved.

I want to create a place where people just don't find quick fixes by resources that will allow them to live normal healthy lives.
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    good thread :tu

I've always had a long term goal of providing a safe haven for victims of abuse that includes help for abusers

I've been working closely with several donors and and others who share my vision

it's hard because the way people approach domestic violence its so weird, kind of throwing away the baby with the bath water mentality

the solution always stops with an abuser doing a short sentence or or probation and a kind of laughable anger management class

the problem is it really doesn't address the roots causes of these situations, generally speaking most abusers and their victims experienced physical or sexual abuse, if not both as a child, and they will more than likely pass that behavior, be it a victim or aggressor, to their children, whether or not the law does get involved.

I want to create a place where people just don't find quick fixes by resources that will allow them to live normal healthy lives.

That's great, Haute.
    So it'd be a half-way house of sorts?
    Since you left it general, does that mean it would it include male and female victims?