Black Slave Owners

Options
shtoopid
shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
In an 1856 letter to his wife Mary Custis Lee, Robert E. Lee called slavery "a moral and political evil." Yet he concluded that black slaves were immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially and physically.

The fact is large numbers of free Negroes owned black slaves; in fact, in numbers disproportionate to their representation in society at large. In 1860 only a small minority of whites owned slaves. According to the U.S. census report for that last year before the Civil War, there were nearly 27 million whites in the country. Some eight million of them lived in the slaveholding states.

The census also determined that there were fewer than 385,000 individuals who owned slaves (1). Even if all slaveholders had been white, that would amount to only 1.4 percent of whites in the country (or 4.8 percent of southern whites owning one or more slaves).

In the rare instances when the ownership of slaves by free Negroes is acknowledged in the history books, justification centers on the claim that black slave masters were simply individuals who purchased the freedom of a spouse or child from a white slaveholder and had been unable to legally manumit them. Although this did indeed happen at times, it is a misrepresentation of the majority of instances, one which is debunked by records of the period on blacks who owned slaves. These include individuals such as Justus Angel and Mistress L. Horry, of Colleton District, South Carolina, who each owned 84 slaves in 1830. In fact, in 1830 a fourth of the free ? slave masters in South Carolina owned 10 or more slaves; eight owning 30 or more (2).

According to federal census reports, on June 1, 1860 there were nearly 4.5 million Negroes in the United States, with fewer than four million of them living in the southern slaveholding states. Of the blacks residing in the South, 261,988 were not slaves. Of this number, 10,689 lived in New Orleans. The country's leading African American historian, Duke University professor John Hope Franklin, records that in New Orleans over 3,000 free Negroes owned slaves, or 28 percent of the free Negroes in that city.

To return to the census figures quoted above, this 28 percent is certainly impressive when compared to less than 1.4 percent of all American whites and less than 4.8 percent of southern whites. The statistics show that, when free, blacks disproportionately became slave masters.

more at: http://americancivilwar.com/authors/black_slaveowners.htm

not only that, but some slaves were willingly given/sold to the white man by other africans. this might make me sound like a ? but ? an e-rep. i thought it was interesting... discuss

Comments

• DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ? aint touching this with a 300-foot slave ship LOL

I think people find this uncomfortable because they know crackers will use it to be like, "SEEEE THEY DID IT TOO! SO ITS OK THAT WHITES DID!"

I always compare it to how there were Jewish Nazis during the Holocaust. Its never hard to find a small group of people who will willingly oppress their own people to either survive or because they really dont give a ? .

Also I read that a lot of black slave owners simply purchased slaves to save them and free them. Or to make a profit selling them to more peaceful slave holders.

Also the fact that this information is mostly quoted on racist websites by racist should let you know to take it with a grain of salt. A group of people who really werent even counted all the time but they somehow have documents of these 3rd class citizen's slave buying habits?

Notwithstanding that; I dont think it makes you sound like a ? and it is interesting. But like most things in the past I think we'd be amazed how they things we find atrocious now were probably everyday life back then. Even members of oppressed groups sometimes accept the oppression as the norm and in some cases even begin to participate in the oppression. It happened a lot during the Holocaust and during the Rwandan genocides.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I remember watching a documentary that showed most slaves were actually captured soldiers. Enemy forces in Africa would capture each other and sell them off as slaves to Americans.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »

I think people find this uncomfortable because they know crackers will use it to be like, "SEEEE THEY DID IT TOO! SO ITS OK THAT WHITES DID!"

I always compare it to how there were Jewish Nazis during the Holocaust. Its never hard to find a small group of people who will willingly oppress their own people to either survive or because they really dont give a ? .

Also I read that a lot of black slave owners simply purchased slaves to save them and free them. Or to make a profit selling them to more peaceful slave holders.

Also the fact that this information is mostly quoted on racist websites by racist should let you know to take it with a grain of salt. A group of people who really werent even counted all the time but they somehow have documents of these 3rd class citizen's slave buying habits?

Notwithstanding that; I dont think it makes you sound like a ? and it is interesting. But like most things in the past I think we'd be amazed how they things we find atrocious now were probably everyday life back then. Even members of oppressed groups sometimes accept the oppression as the norm and in some cases even begin to participate in the oppression. It happened a lot during the Holocaust and during the Rwandan genocides.

You have to remember the culture of America was different at the time. Things we consider taboo were once the norm. It still is the biggest negative mark on America's history. That "apology" issued a couple of years ago seemed like ? to me.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited March 2011
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Also the fact that this information is mostly quoted on racist websites by racist should let you know to take it with a grain of salt.

Non-racist whites are often scared to talk about these types of things.

And blacks would like to pretend they're just not true.

So who does that leave?

That's right.

The ? .
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited March 2011
    Options
    don't ya get kids: we've "ALL sinned"
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

• freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    everybody knows there were Black slave owners,but that was mostly outta fear

would you rather get your ? chopped off or sell your own,decision seems easy when it's put that way right ?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    and?

...tell us something new, tell us something we didn't already know...

since we already knew there were Clarence Thomas' Condi Rice Jesse Lee Peterson Bill Cosby Oprah Winfreys Michael Steele's and Alfonso Jackson's, back then, selling out to white racists.

LOL, I wouldn't consider Oprah a sell out but the rest of your list seems legit.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited March 2011
    Options
    How is Bill Cosby a sellout, anyway? All he said was "We gotta do betta."
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited March 2011
    Options
    How is Bill Cosby a sellout, anyway? All he said was "We gotta do betta."

That makes you a sellout.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

You have to remember the culture of America was different at the time. Things we consider taboo were once the norm. It still is the biggest negative mark on America's history. That "apology" issued a couple of years ago seemed like ? to me.
    ^^^ thats what I said...And ? an apology without something to back it up.
    I remember watching a documentary that showed most slaves were actually captured soldiers. Enemy forces in Africa would capture each other and sell them off as slaves to Americans.
    Yeah but whites like to pretend that "hey! slavery is slavery there's no difference! They did it too!"
    Non-racist whites are often scared to talk about these types of things.

And blacks would like to pretend they're just not true.

So who does that leave?

That's right.

The ? .
    No the thing is whites operate like this:

ONE black guy robs somebody and its "THEY'RE ALL THIEVES!" But MANY whites rob and "so what it wasnt me."

BUt ONE white guy does a good deed and whites think it redeems a whole race. One black guy does wrong and it condemns a whole race.

So when A FEW blacks own slaves, in a white man's mind it excuses the multitude more whites that owned them as well. Thats what I meant by what I said.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ONE black guy robs somebody and its "THEY'RE ALL THIEVES!"

I guess you haven't been around white people for the last 30 years or so, because any time a black commits a crime, whites are very quick to say "Well he's an unfortunate individual from a background of poverty and our racist society forced him to rob that old lady, tie her up in a basement, ? her, and pour bleach down her throat. I have black friends, I'm not racist!"

Whites are desperate to exonerate blacks in 2011.