What does religion bring to the table?

Options
Tha-Realist
Tha-Realist Members Posts: 491
edited March 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
This isn't meant to disrespect any particular religion or religious person, but what exactly does religion give you that you couldn't obtain otherwise? What are tha benefits of religion? All I see is problems being caused by it. People fight with other religions, non religious people and even people within tha one they belong to because of it. Wars are caused because of it. People are discriminated against because of it. I just don't see many positives come from it at all. Some churches help communities and have fund raisers and all that, but some churches also use that money to benefit a select few. Some use their influence to preach hate and political agenda. I don't even know what else to say, just why? What does religion do for you? What does religion do for tha world? Why do so many people think we need it?

Comments

• Nut Did N' Cider
    Nut Did N' Cider Members Posts: 1,210 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    There are no real tangible benefits that religion provides that could not also be obtained by purely secular means
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Atheism is...the belief that there was nothing, and that nothing happened to nothing...and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything! And then a bunch of everything just magically rearranged itself for no reason, whatsoever, into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs and ? -Erectus...
    LOL. That statement makes not one reference to atheism:

UFu0B.jpg
  • fiat_money
    edited March 2011
    Options
    That's because its not necessary *to reference something* if you are literally explaining what 'that something' actually is.
    That's just a poor explanation of what the "Big Bang" theory entails, followed by what seems to be a poor explanation of the "Primordial Soup" theory and subsequent biological evolution.

Neither has anything to do with atheism.

So no, that's not what atheism "actually is".
  • fiat_money
    edited March 2011
    Options
    No, it's not a poor explanation. It's efficient, proficient, and inline with totally denying ? . Which is exactly what atheists are about...
    It's a poor explanation because the idea of "nothing exploding" is only used by people who don't understand the theory. Whether the sudden expansion of the Universe started with a singularity or with a contraction and re-expansion, neither idea says that it was the expansion of "nothing".

Additionally, there are plenty of theists--including Christians--that both understand and believe in the "Big Bang" theory, there are also those that acknowledge the observable biological process that is biological evolution.

So no, that's not what atheism "actually is", nor is it exclusive to atheism.
  • fiat_money
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ...So as far as atheists, my explanation stands true...whereas it's not my responsibility, to make you grasp it.
    No, it doesn't, it's a poor explanation of theories and processes that aren't exclusive to atheism. Therefore it is not an explanation of atheism, but merely an explanation of those theories and processes.

Besides, one doesn't have to understand or know of those theories and processes to be an atheist. In fact, atheism predates those theories and the recognition of biological evolution completely.

So no, that's not what atheism "actually is", nor is it exclusive to atheism, neither is it inherent of atheism.
  • fiat_money
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ...well for whatever you ostensibly claim atheism, to be, guaranteed I can take yon schematics ---atom by atom--- and show their applicability to the atheism definition I contributed...
    Sure, you can call anything a definition of "atheism". That doesn't make your definition true though, as association does not constitute definition.

Since you're using scientific theories and the acknowledgment of biological processes as definitions for atheism, simply because many atheists understand them. By the same reasoning, I can define "atheists" as "those with higher IQ's than others", simply because there is a correlation between one identifying themselves as an "atheist" and having a higher IQ.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The functional argument for religion (which is a secular argument btw) goes like this:
    Religion builds a sense of community; it provides a society with a norms/values/morals through parables and religious rules; it works as a mechanism to softly control of the masses; and lastly it provides comfort to individuals and even to the community as a whole.

Lots of scholars and social theorists attribute other human developments to religion. The one leaping to my mind now is Weber's Protestant Work Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, which makes the case that protestantism became the foundation for capitalism.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    If nothing else..... conversation.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Nobody on here wants it with fiat at all, this dude will crush in debates.

fiat_money is ? !
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The problem I get is not the religions themselves. It is the people in them. We have this impression that man is wise enough to know what is right and wrong and will always handle the matters of life responsibly. Religion, apart from our motives and influences, is meant to bring people to think about the greater scheme of life and what should we be doing to be in union with it...whatever life is to people. But, in the wrong hands, it is meant to exploit those who earnestly seek the answers. It can be used to disrespect those who don't subscribe to belief.

It is not that religions force people to be disrespectful. We force ourselves. Everything that we hold to is prone to our abuse of it no matter how wise we think we are and I don't think we are willing to accept that.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    LOL. That statement makes not one reference to atheism:

UFu0B.jpg
    ummmmmmmm.....
    fiat_money wrote: »
    "If someone must support themselves with the words of others, it likely means their own words carry no weight." -fiat_money
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I am an atheist but i like that religion does give some people hope during hard times and makes people live good and healthy......i guess it keeps some order in this world
  • fiat_money
    edited March 2011
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    ummmmmmmm.....
    "If someone is able to bolster their own words with the words of others, their statements become reinforced. It's those who can only repeat the words of others whose statements fall apart." -fiat_money
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The only tangible thing religion brings is fear and unyeailding doubt of your life and the direction you're going in. Your life is fine as long as you believe in this one particualr docterine, but the moment you begin to think otherwise, then you are in fact doomed to a horrible life and afterlife.
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Plap Star wrote: »
    I am an atheist but i like that religion does give some people hope during hard times and makes people live good and healthy......i guess it keeps some order in this world

Which is exactly why man created religion...to maintain order. You get everyone thinking as induviduals then according to them during that time, only chaos would come from it. You have everyone thinking the same thing, and following the same rules, you can get them to do what you want according to your word that came from your deity
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    all of that instigating and hallucinogens, you come here on, are meaningless to me pal...mainly because I know, that you know, that fiat knows he made nothing but the same 'ol tired atheist argument;

since ? isn't here, to show his existence, then he doesn't exist.

I'll tell your instigating azz, the same as I told fiat, that it is not my responsibility to make you grasp clear concise realities validating ? 's existence...all I can do, is continue to put chunks of meat on your plate that you can't swallow. Nothing he posted, invalidated how atheism can be summed up as the belief that '[I]nothing magically exploded, for no reason, and created everything![/I]' ...LOL...nope atheists can't fathom the idea that some being actually sat up and decided to create Mankind, for a purpose.

I don't know why you always are on the defensive, calm down. Bolded red though, you don't pay attention do you?
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Plap Star wrote: »

It does more than that, but at a certain point you have to wake up realize the cost that these few good things are coming at.
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited March 2011
    Options
    This isn't meant to disrespect any particular religion or religious person, but what exactly does religion give you that you couldn't obtain otherwise? What are tha benefits of religion? All I see is problems being caused by it. People fight with other religions, non religious people and even people within tha one they belong to because of it. Wars are caused because of it. People are discriminated against because of it. I just don't see many positives come from it at all. Some churches help communities and have fund raisers and all that, but some churches also use that money to benefit a select few. Some use their influence to preach hate and political agenda. I don't even know what else to say, just why? What does religion do for you? What does religion do for tha world? Why do so many people think we need it?

"Religion" generaly refers to the many conflicting beliefs taught by what is commonly known as "organized religion." Such as: RC, the many Prot cults, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism,.. and I would include some atheist/humanist groups.

Well, clearly all the religious groups can't be right. For instance: If RC is right, then all non RC must be wrong. If Islam is right, all non Islam must be wrong. And so forth. So what is "right" ? True ?

I'm betting on Jesus. Not on any "religion."
  • fiat_money
    edited March 2011
    Options
    considering every single solitary word of your retorts your explanations and your deluding, are examples of you repeating globally-accepted atheistic erudition, then it's obvious you only needed to *look into your own mirror* to create that philosophy, up above
    This almost seems to be conjecture based on your opinion.

Actually, I think that's exactly what it is.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    religion is used to keep the masses ignorant

The masses can't be trusted with too much information, they might react wildly.

The funniest way the masses have been described is as a bewildered herd.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    The masses can't be trusted with too much information, they might react wildly.

The funniest way the masses have been described is as a bewildered herd.

Then they need to teach the masses how to handle information.
  • fiat_money
    edited March 2011
    Options
    No my friend, atheism is conjecture, in it's purest form. I have explanation, for Jesus Christ provenly walked this Earth upon being sent by ? ...
    The bolded is incorrect, the underlined is amusing for a statement that follows the bolded.

You then proceeded in the direction of morality; which I find irrelevant.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited March 2011
    Options
    No my friend, atheism is conjecture
    Every-thing is conjecture outside of the human mind my friend.
  • fiat_money
    edited March 2011
    Options
    yey yey, I know I know...yep...I'm already aware of the amusing lil' trinkets that Satan armed you with/sent you off with, in your tool belt.
    Cue laughter.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    No my friend, atheism is conjecture, in it's purest form. I have explanation, for Jesus Christ provenly walked this Earth upon being sent by ? , as the only human to ever ever ever exit a ? /? without the aid of sperm.

? only needed, that one act, to effect something Mankind nor any false ? can ever duplicate...in order to prove his Universal Power.

Atheism allows for no humbling, it despises the search, for Righteousness...it's a self-centered philosophy of avaricious human beings...

it's along the lines of your atheism-HIGH IQ TEST SCORES proclamation...

atheism is also a trait of greedy, selfish individuals...since those who spend life getting wealthy/seeking material fortunes, usually are the ones who do the least amount of worship and have the least amount of time to waste on believing in some ? ...and are giving ? the least amount of credit amongst all humans, for their livelihood

You cant prove this. You may believe it, but you cant prove it. Believing it to be true and producing an argument from that belief is inherently flawed.