Limitless

Options
Dupac
Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!
just got passes for tomorrow @ 730...

anyone amped about this??

Comments

• Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    No.

You know I was looking at Scarface the other day and it just seems like art is going downhill. There are no longer classics that are defining a time in history. No Scarfaces, or Goodfellas, or Coming to America or Forrest Gump. Nothing. The 90's seem like the tail end of actual passion in filmmaking, real classics being dropped. Maybe POTC for present time but I just feel like the film industry is one big production factory churning out identical product year after year with very little artistic integrity left.
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited March 2011
    Options
    And my point in saying this was because I've seen the previews for Limitless and this is exactly the kind of movie I'm talking about. It looks thoroughly mediocre like 99% of all the other movies.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    yeah ? looks kinda wack
  • Dupac
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i agree with cali in once sense...

a lota movies have great ideas.. but the excution is just horrible...

movies like the ? where micholas cage could see into the future for a few seconds....that was a great ass concept, but the movie sucked ass....

a lotta these movies where people have super powers or abilities.... they're interesting ideas.. just ? movies..

i get tired of good concepts and movie premises being tired ass lame movies..

so i agree with cali... good gripe...

but scarface is overrated...
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Somehow I knew you'd say that. I've heard several people say that lately, but it's not overrated to me. Either way you can't deny the effect it's had on an entire generation. That just doesn't happen anymore.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    No.

You know I was looking at Scarface the other day and it just seems like art is going downhill. There are no longer classics that are defining a time in history. No Scarfaces, or Goodfellas, or Coming to America or Forrest Gump. Nothing. The 90's seem like the tail end of actual passion in filmmaking, real classics being dropped. Maybe POTC for present time but I just feel like the film industry is one big production factory churning out identical product year after year with very little artistic integrity left.

It's funny you used this I think these movies are all terrible. I do think there are a few good directors like Christopher Nolan for example who are doing good work. But the movie industry as a whole is struggling though. It just seems like a decline in everthing from ideas to the scripts now. Nothing orginal and fresh. Also I can't name the next big transcedent actor/actress. Where are they? It looked like Heath Ledger was going to take that step but unfortunately he passed.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    No.

Scarface is CRAZY overrated. Most people that claim to love it only say that because every black dude on CRIBS claimed it as his favorite movie. I've said it before and I'll say it again "Un Prophete" (french 2010 film)>>>Scarface BY FAR.

On another note, there are still Fantastic movies being made. "Inception", "There Will be Blood", "Juno", "No Country For Old Men", and movies like that are just examples of great movies that have been released in the past 5 years. Don't sleep on the 2000s, Ma
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    Scarface is CRAZY overrated. Most people that claim to love it only say that because every black dude on CRIBS claimed it as his favorite movie. I've said it before and I'll say it again "Un Prophete" (french 2010 film)>>>Scarface BY FAR.On another note, there are still Fantastic movies being made. "Inception", "There Will be Blood", "Juno", "No Country For Old Men", and movies like that are just examples of great movies that have been released in the past 5 years. Don't sleep on the 2000s, Ma

First of all how do you even compare these two films? They couldn't be more different. And if I had a choice I'd watch Scarface over Prophete everytime. Scarface is overrated now but there's no doubt it's great cinema.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Scarface is CRAZY overrated. Most people that claim to love it only say that because every black dude on CRIBS claimed it as his favorite movie. I've said it before and I'll say it again "Un Prophete" (french 2010 film)>>>Scarface BY FAR.

On another note, there are still Fantastic movies being made. "Inception", "There Will be Blood", "Juno", "No Country For Old Men", and movies like that are just examples of great movies that have been released in the past 5 years. Don't sleep on the 2000s, Ma

Dunno about it being better than Scarface (that's another debate) but it's definitely a sick film

Not buying the whole 'cinema is in decline' comment. Maybe Hollywood is running out of ideas but it doesn't mean the rest of the world is. The fact that Hollywood needs to constantly remake foreign films shows that a lot of the better ideas are coming from elsewhere (not to say that Hollywood aren't producing great films because they clearly are). Just look at the amount of people who ? over The Departed and yet that was a remake of another film that did it better than what Scorsese did. People loving 'Let Me In' and yet 'Let The Right One In' only came out about a year or so before. David Fincher currently filming 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'...

Inception, Black Swan, 127 Hours, Enter The Void, Of Gods and Men, Four Lions, Winter's Bone, Toy Story 3, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Social Network, Made In Dagenham, The King's Speech, Chico and Rita, etc. Far from being a rubbish year
  • iphucq
    iphucq Members Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ? yall. i wanna see limitless. Im a smart ? and i think that im like 5 steps ahead of ? (maybe cuz im from nyc and live in houston) . If anyone had the ability 2 use all of there brain they would be the GOAT....i just wanna see how it plays out
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    No.

These days there's so much hot ? on TV. Never thought I'd say that, or actually become a TV watcher, but it's true.
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited March 2011
    Options

Dunno about it being better than Scarface (that's another debate) but it's definitely a sick film

Not buying the whole 'cinema is in decline' comment. Maybe Hollywood is running out of ideas but it doesn't mean the rest of the world is. The fact that Hollywood needs to constantly remake foreign films shows that a lot of the better ideas are coming from elsewhere (not to say that Hollywood aren't producing great films because they clearly are). Just look at the amount of people who ? over The Departed and yet that was a remake of another film that did it better than what Scorsese did. People loving 'Let Me In' and yet 'Let The Right One In' only came out about a year or so before. David Fincher currently filming 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'...

Inception, Black Swan, 127 Hours, Enter The Void, Of Gods and Men, Four Lions, Winter's Bone, Toy Story 3, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Social Network, Made In Dagenham, The King's Speech, Chico and Rita, etc. Far from being a rubbish year

@Makaveli: I don't care who has it in their crib, Scarface was never overrated to me. One of my favorite films. Anyway...

I didn't know I had to specify this but it looks like I do. Of course great films are still being made every year. That's a given. Unequivocally, the majority of the ones you both listed are great or close to it. However outliers do not shift the trend. If 5 for every 100 films are great and 95 are poor-average, that set of 100 films is still poor-average, taken as a whole.

Secondly, it's my opinion that a 6 is going to look like a 8 in comparison to the majority of movies being made today. So it's extremely relative.

If you'll notice when people list their top 10 films of all time, you're lucky to get one or two that have been made within the last 10 years. You see alot of Scarface, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Shawshank Redemption, City Lights, Blade Runner, etc. And even then, there tend to be the same newer films repeated over and over like City of ? or The Dark Knight. Bottom line, a handful every year is not enough to represent the film industry as a whole. I still stand by my original argument.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    @Makaveli: I don't care who has it in their crib, Scarface was never overrated to me. One of my favorite films. Anyway...

I didn't know I had to specify this but it looks like I do. Of course great films are still being made every year. That's a given. Unequivocally, the majority of the ones you both listed are great or close to it. However outliers do not shift the trend. If 5 for every 100 films are great and 95 are poor-average, that set of 100 films is still poor-average, taken as a whole.

Secondly, it's my opinion that a 6 is going to look like a 8 in comparison to the majority of movies being made today. So it's extremely relative.

If you'll notice when people list their top 10 films of all time, you're lucky to get one or two that have been made within the last 10 years. You see alot of Scarface, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Shawshank Redemption, City Lights, Blade Runner, etc. And even then, there tend to be the same newer films repeated over and over like City of ? or The Dark Knight. Bottom line, a handful every year is not enough to represent the film industry as a whole. I still stand by my original argument.

Well first off it goes without saying it's your opinion. It's a public internet forum, we're all here to chat ? about films so I doubt anyone is thinking you're pushing what you say as fact anyway. You mentioned Pirates Of The Caribbean as one of the few great films of the decade (why?) but I personally think they're ? awful, from the story to the script to the directing to the acting. I'd put it on par with Transformers as some of the worst films this decade.

Secondly you had just as many ? films released from earlier decades as you do now so I'm not getting that argument either. I know for a fact the 80s and 90s churned out their fair share of ? films so it's not exactly a new trend. It's the same thing when people moan about today's music being ? for example, compared to yesteryear when it's usually the case of tinted glasses or them simply listening to ? music. Older films that are now regarded as classics never emerged every week, and even when they did arrive they didn't exactly mean they were regarded highly until years later.

Citizen Kane, It's A Wonderful Life, Blade Runner, The Shawshank Redemption, Raging Bull, The Wizard Of Oz, Fight Club, The Shining (or plenty of Kubrick's other films), etc. All films that were flops or didn't receive good criticism when they were released yet are now regarded as classic films. The same will happen to plenty of films within the last ten years.
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Well first off it goes without saying it's your opinion. It's a public internet forum, we're all here to chat ? about films so I doubt anyone is thinking you're pushing what you say as fact anyway. You mentioned Pirates Of The Caribbean as one of the few great films of the decade (why?) but I personally think they're ? awful, from the story to the script to the directing to the acting. I'd put it on par with Transformers as some of the worst films this decade.

Secondly you had just as many ? films released from earlier decades as you do now so I'm not getting that argument either. I know for a fact the 80s and 90s churned out their fair share of ? films so it's not exactly a new trend. It's the same thing when people moan about today's music being ? for example, compared to yesteryear when it's usually the case of tinted glasses or them simply listening to ? music. Older films that are now regarded as classics never emerged every week, and even when they did arrive they didn't exactly mean they were regarded highly until years later.

Citizen Kane, It's A Wonderful Life, Blade Runner, The Shawshank Redemption, Raging Bull, The Wizard Of Oz, Fight Club, The Shining (or plenty of Kubrick's other films), etc. All films that were flops or didn't receive good criticism when they were released yet are now regarded as classic films. The same will happen to plenty of films within the last ten years.

I don't know what you're trying to get at with the bolded, but ok.

I don't personally like Pirates of the Caribbean, but I included it based strictly on impact and influence. Millions of other people like it. Theme parties, theme park rides, Halloween costumes, fanclubs, cult followings, etc. stemming from that franchise. POTC is interchangeable with LOTR to me. I don't like either of them but they are a big ? deal, which is why I mentioned them. And even though I don't care for them, it's evident that the writers/directors truly cared about what type of product they were putting out. They put their all into it. Not just some half-assed job like 90% of films in a theater at any given time.

@2nd paragraph: I can't agree with that. Sure there was ? , but as much of it? No, not even close.

@The rest: With the exception of The Shining, every film you listed is an Oscar nominee or winner. And here in America you don't get any better criticism than the Oscars.

Citizen Kane?? 9 Oscar nominations in virtually every category, win for Best Screenplay.
    Its A Wonderful LIfe - 5 Oscar nominations
    Blade Runner - 2 Oscar nominations
    Shawshank Redemption - 7 Oscar nominations. #1 on Imdb.
    Raging Bull - 8 Oscar nominations (2 wins)
    Wizard of Oz - 6 nominations (2 wins)
    Fight Club - 1 nomination

So your argument there is not accurate, atleast in the States it's not.
    Maybe since you're in a different country you see it differently.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I don't know what you're trying to get at with the bolded, but ok.

I don't personally like Pirates of the Caribbean, but I included it based strictly on impact and influence. Millions of other people like it. Theme parties, theme park rides, Halloween costumes, fanclubs, cult followings, etc. stemming from that franchise. POTC is interchangeable with LOTR to me. I don't like either of them but they are a big ? deal, which is why I mentioned them. And even though I don't care for them, it's evident that the writers/directors truly cared about what type of product they were putting out. They put their all into it. Not just some half-assed job like 90% of films in a theater at any given time.

@2nd paragraph: I can't agree with that. Sure there was ? , but as much of it? No, not even close.

@The rest: With the exception of The Shining, every film you listed is an Oscar nominee or winner. And here in America you don't get any better criticism than the Oscars.

Citizen Kane?? 9 Oscar nominations in virtually every category, win for Best Screenplay.
    Its A Wonderful LIfe - 5 Oscar nominations
    Blade Runner - 2 Oscar nominations
    Shawshank Redemption - 7 Oscar nominations. #1 on Imdb.
    Raging Bull - 8 Oscar nominations (2 wins)
    Wizard of Oz - 6 nominations (2 wins)
    Fight Club - 1 nomination

So your argument there is not accurate, atleast in the States it's not.
    Maybe since you're in a different country you see it differently.

You can use how much effort and good will that went into production to justify any film that's bad. No amount of theme park rides, money or great CGI (and they were great) thrown at it changes how bad those three films were, but it's cool you didn't much of them either.

I take your point on the Oscars, but if we're using the Oscars as a barometer for film criticism than Titanic should be regarded as one of the three best films ever. Driving Miss Daisy and Out Of Africa should be up there near the top as well, and so on. Do people still rate or even talk about Chicago and American Beauty any more? The Oscars are just another backslapping event I personally take with a pinch of salt especially when they get it wrong so often, plus their foreign language film policy ignores so many great films. Their marketability and what they can do to sell a film is worth more than their critical value.

My point was those films that I listed were all ignored by people resulting in them bombing and either divided critics or receiving negative criticism. No one cared about Shawshank Redemption at the time even with its Oscar nods, and yes, it's probably #1 on IMDb due to people finally liking it when it came round on video and TV and people suddenly deciding it was their favourite ever film. Citizen Kane nearly ruined Orson Welles, like all great sci-fi films Blade Runner was ignored by people...

What's to say multiple 00's films won't do a Shawshank? Main point: It's too easy to say the current decade you're in is rubbish compared to the previous one when all the ? from the past 10 years has been filtered out, I'm sure people in the 90s were saying the same about the 80s and so forth. I honestly think it's been a great 10 years for film

Anyways, end of the day it's all opinion. I really need to sleep
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i go to the movies with the JusEnjoyThisShit mentality

i expect the movies to be predictable and mediocre at times,
    but i really jus wanna see how it will play out

if a kid has powers,i expect him to hate his responsibilities while tryna fit in and catch the girl,
    i expect someone close to him to die or get kidnapped
    i expect him to lose a viscous battle only to defeat the villain at the end

but thru it all,i jus wanna enjoy the ride,,,,,? i paid 9.75 per ticket,
    i better enjoy the ride
  • Dupac
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Limitless wasn't bad at all..

they did some fun things with the camrea....my lady gets motion sickness easily, so she had to look away... but i can't say too much bad about the movie..

the plot was pretty interesting, i think they expanded it well without making it too tough to follow...

that's was my biggest fear, that they were going to try to make the movie too smart to follow without being super duper focused....

but it was fun...deniro's character didn't dominate...niether did the chick abbie cornish...it wqas all the dude bradley cooper...

i mean it really comes down to if you think he had a convincing and enjoyable performance.. cuz the whole movie was basically him, a cool script, and some fun with the camera...

nothing overly special....imo it ws kinda like the tvshow psych on steroids and not as campy.....

add a few elements from wanted....

all in out i give it about 3/5 stars.. it's worth admission
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

Its just ? that people say...I'm a movie buff....bad, classic, great, okay, corny, dumb, comedy, drama....i watch it. I love films. It's plenty of great movies that have come out in the last 10 years, people are just nostalgic like they are about anything. I guarantee if you asked people to name 30 classic films from 20-40 years ago WITHOUT Google.....they can't.
  • Maalik
    edited March 2011
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    Limitless wasn't bad at all..

they did some fun things with the camrea....my lady gets motion sickness easily, so she had to look away... but i can't say too much bad about the movie..

the plot was pretty interesting, i think they expanded it well without making it too tough to follow...

that's was my biggest fear, that they were going to try to make the movie too smart to follow without being super duper focused....

but it was fun...deniro's character didn't dominate...niether did the chick abbie cornish...it wqas all the dude bradley cooper...

i mean it really comes down to if you think he had a convincing and enjoyable performance.. cuz the whole movie was basically him, a cool script, and some fun with the camera...

nothing overly special....imo it ws kinda like the tvshow psych on steroids and not as campy.....

add a few elements from wanted....

all in out i give it about 3/5 stars.. it's worth admission

yo LOL.....how you seeing movies that ain't even come out yet....I live an hour away & that movie not in theatres
  • Dupac
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    yo LOL.....how you seeing movies that ain't even come out yet....I live an hour away & that movie not in theatres

dude ay job always getting free movie passes, most of the time they're unreleased product....

movies i've seen early in the past 3 years

eagle eye
    transformers 2
    brroklyn's finest
    limitless
    time travler's wife
    i am number 4
    ninja assassin
    conviction
    cedar rapids
    morning glory
    it's kind of a funny story
    losers
    clash of the titans
    white out
    paranormal activity 2
    and a few others i can't even think of right now,

but it's a cool little hook up...
  • Maalik
    edited March 2011
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    dude ay job always getting free movie passes, most of the time they're unreleased product....

movies i've seen early in the past 3 years

eagle eye
    transformers 2
    brroklyn's finest
    limitless
    time travler's wife
    i am number 4
    ninja assassin
    conviction
    cedar rapids
    morning glory
    it's kind of a funny story
    losers
    clash of the titans
    white out
    paranormal activity 2
    and a few others i can't even think of right now,

but it's a cool little hook up...

oh aight...thas wassup
  • panthro5000
    panthro5000 Members Posts: 169
    edited March 2011
    Options
    if you think movies arent good any more watch something besides a summer blockbuster. your posting on the internet right now. watch other things your fav actors are in. or fav genre

i watched animal kingdom just the other day and its a uk film pretty good movie.

also limitless looks corny just because using all of your brain nonsense is not not true
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited March 2011
    Options
    if you think movies arent good any more watch something besides a summer blockbuster. your posting on the internet right now. watch other things your fav actors are in. or fav genre

i watched animal kingdom just the other day and its a uk film pretty good movie.

also limitless looks corny just because using all of your brain nonsense is not not true

I watch everything from indies to foreign films. It's just how I see it.
  • cutthecrapolabuddy
    cutthecrapolabuddy Members Posts: 367
    edited March 2011
    Options
    saw the movie on friday...underwhemling