Super 8 (2011)

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Full Super 8 Trailer Hits The Net
‘I saw it... no-one believes me’

11 March 2011 | Source: TwitVid

Previously, all we had to look at of J.J. Abrams' mysterious sci-fi Super 8 was the Superbowl spot from a month or so ago. Now, thanks to this TwitVid video, we’ve got a trailer for you to analyse, dissect and stare at for a good few hours.

Back then, all we had were snippets of the train crashing and its 'angry' cargo, plus other shots, including Army officials covering a field with fire – but no characters were properly introduced. Hey, it worked for Cloverfield.

Now we’ve got much more about the lead character, his Super 8-loving friends, his policeman dad, the mysterious forces that are taking over his town – and, in a way that is so foreboding it’s practically on the first page of the foreboding handbook… signs that all the dogs nearby have run away.

Those dogs know a thing or two we don’t, we reckon.

It’s so Spielberg it hurts sometimes (in a good way), what with the little pedal bikes and so on, but it’s fascinating stuff, and we promise you’ll be poring for it for hours. Okay, half an hour. A number of minutes, at least.

And as this is just a TwitVid video, we’re expecting something more official-looking soon, and so when it does, we’ll let you know straight away.

Super 8 will be out in cinemas August 19 in the UK
Ali Plumb

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30394

Comments

• marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    looks interesting....but i have a feeling its all stuff we've seen already. nothin new plot wise. i hope im wrong tho
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ? JJ. After the ? that was Cloverfield, I'm not paying to see this ? . He's pretty much M. Night in my eyes.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    looks intresting and possibly a huge dissapointment....no minorities in this town i noticed
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    cloverfield was a decent movie imo. didn't like the ending. or the fact that ? actually went back to for his ex, DESPITE the hefa showing up at HIS party, wit ANOTHER ? . wtf??

yes i mite go see this. dunno. i need more to convice me.
  • Ekscape
    Ekscape Members Posts: 1,842
    edited March 2011
    Options
    knights wrote: »
    ? JJ. After the ? that was Cloverfield, I'm not paying to see this ? . He's pretty much M. Night in my eyes.

Star Trek was pure piffery though... can't wait for the next one
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Ekscape wrote: »
    Star Trek was pure piffery though... can't wait for the next one

Star Trek and Mission: Impossible 3 were both good. JJ Abrams didnt direct, or even write Cloverfield, he was just one of the producers. the guy can make good ? .
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Missing dogs.........The Thing

Fire..........The Thing

Half eaten man or mutated man........The Thing

Can't put my finger on "things that float" or magnetically drawn to something bigger

I bet it's an alien
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I gotta say that trailer looked really good, had me interested in seeing it. I just don't hope the "THING" in the movie isn't some typical alien or monster seen in other movies then it would make it whack.
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Didn't look that interesting to me. I'll watch it though. I wish Speilberg would've directed this.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i went to sleep on the trailer......enuff said
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    An alien/monster terrorizing a good ole small town in white America...no thanks
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    saw the trailer before battle : LA and i gotta say

PASSSSSS

i aint being swindled into paying 10 bucks a tickets to go sit for two hours and wonder what the alien look like.
    then when we do see the alien its a glimpse of it,for like 45 seconds. no explanation,no backstory.
    nope,not me,i aint gettin suckered
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    New Super 8 Promo Arrives
    Trouble hits town...

06 June 2011 | Source: MTV

We might have to wait until August to see what JJ Abrams has unleashed on a small Ohio town in Super 8, but those lucky types across the pond get to watch it next week. So there was naturally a new trailer at last night’s MTV Movie Awards to give the film a final shove into public awareness. Take a gander below.

Set in the summer of ’79, Super 8 finds a group of young friends and filmmakers – including Elle Fanning, Joel Courtney, Zach Mills and Gabriel Basso – out shooting a movie one night when they witness a huge train crash. It’s no ordinary derailment, either: the military cargo carried within turns out to be something distinctly nasty and very dangerous. Soon, the town is under quarantine by typically mysterious government forces and the youngsters have to figure out the mystery of just what was in that fateful train carriage before it’s too late…

With the likes of Kyle Chandler and Ron Eldard also in the cast, Super 8 will finally make its way over here on August 5. Take a look at the trailer above and let us know if it makes you more likely to see it...

James White

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31160
  • young law
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Cain_Marko wrote: »
    an alien an a monster is in this movie. the alien (he's the one who opens the door of the train) is trying to get the monster and hisself back home. alien builds a ship (flying metal) army knows about the monster but not the alien. alien builds ship on top of building flies off monster and gets picked up by mothership. the end

edit: think ET with a pet monster

wtf man

no spoiler alert or nothin!!!!!!

but hey,
    thanx.

as much as i dont wanna see this movie,i know i would eventually see this movie out of curiosity...now i dont gotta sit thru this ? and can jus wait for the pictures of the monsters to come out.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    young law wrote: »
    wtf man

no spoiler alert or nothin!!!!!!

but hey,
    thanx.

as much as i dont wanna see this movie,i know i would eventually see this movie out of curiosity...now i dont gotta sit thru this ? and can jus wait for the pictures of the monsters to come out.

theres no monster in the movie lol just a alien
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    its a pretty good movie the story and the cinematography are amazing. I would say the best part of the movie is the 1st half before they really even get into the alien stuff. The 1st half is pretty much about the kids story
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Being a child of the 80's, this movie brought me back to my childhood. It was dope to me. It did remind me of "E.T., Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind and Goonies" for sure. It was refreshing to see a summer movie that wasn't a sequel or prequel/reboot. It was like a homage to Steven Spielberg, it was pretty dope. I'm glad it's getting great reviews and will be #1 at the box office this weekend. I also liked how it wasn't just some "monster" flick, again there was a story and great acting by the kids in the film. I would recommend it for sure.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Good story, really good acting, good pacing, just the right amount of action.

A solid 8.5/10
  • American.Loo
    American.Loo Members Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    **SPOILER ALERT***

I thought the train wreck scene was epic, but other than that, I had several issues with this movie. (I give it a 6 out of 10)

-- Tired of the "lets keep the alien in the shadows until the last half hour of the movie" gimmick.

-- The alien reminded me of the alien in Cloverfield. It looked like a baby version of that. Then I found out the same guy made Cloverfield. SMH

-- The alien is intelligent enough to take bikes and microwaves and assemble a perfect space craft, but he couldnt escape air force custody for nearly 20 years? child please

-- The air force had studied the captive alien for 20 years, he escapes, and a 12 year old boy figures out where he would most likely be before the US Air Force does? smh

-- Not only does a man survive a head on collision with a train, but the train suffers more damage than his old pickup truck

-- the end was so cheesy, the boys necklace floats toward the ship. ok we get it. he needs to let go of his mother. you didnt have to have the locket open up and show his mom too. talk about overkill.

all in all, great special effects, but only worth a redbox rental and a big screen tv with good sound. i guess the theme was letting go: the boy letting go of his mom, the alien letting go of his hatred for humans, the air force letting go of the alien, and the drunkard father letting go of his guilt.
  • YC11
    YC11 Members Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Probably tonight or tomorrow, I'm watching it IMAX no doubt.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    **SPOILER ALERT***

I thought the train wreck scene was epic, but other than that, I had several issues with this movie. (I give it a 6 out of 10)

-- Tired of the "lets keep the alien in the shadows until the last half hour of the movie" gimmick.

-- The alien reminded me of the alien in Cloverfield. It looked like a baby version of that. Then I found out the same guy made Cloverfield. SMH

-- The alien is intelligent enough to take bikes and microwaves and assemble a perfect space craft, but he couldnt escape air force custody for nearly 20 years? child please

-- The air force had studied the captive alien for 20 years, he escapes, and a 12 year old boy figures out where he would most likely be before the US Air Force does? smh

-- Not only does a man survive a head on collision with a train, but the train suffers more damage than his old pickup truck

-- the end was so cheesy, the boys necklace floats toward the ship. ok we get it. he needs to let go of his mother. you didnt have to have the locket open up and show his mom too. talk about overkill.

all in all, great special effects, but only worth a redbox rental and a big screen tv with good sound. i guess the theme was letting go: the boy letting go of his mom, the alien letting go of his hatred for humans, the air force letting go of the alien, and the drunkard father letting go of his guilt.

***********SPOILER*************

The kid seen something diggin when he was at the cemetery at figured it was the alien once they said it was subterranean.

But as a movie about aliens I wasn't watching it for the realism. That's like complaining that the trajectory of Spiderman's swing from a building isn't consistent with the laws of physics as if everything else in the movie up to that point was realistic.

As escapist entertainment goes, which this movie is, its a pretty good movie. I do agree with you about the necklace tho.
  • American.Loo
    American.Loo Members Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    white715 wrote: »
    ***********SPOILER*************

The kid seen something diggin when he was at the cemetery at figured it was the alien once they said it was subterranean.

But as a movie about aliens I wasn't watching it for the realism. That's like complaining that the trajectory of Spiderman's swing from a building isn't consistent with the laws of physics as if everything else in the movie up to that point was realistic.

As escapist entertainment goes, which this movie is, its a pretty good movie. I do agree with you about the necklace tho.

I can respect your stance, but I can suspend belief as long as the world im suppossed to believe makes sense within itself, if you get my drift.

take District 9 for example, alien flick but still held an air of realism. the dark knight, comic book story but still seemed real within itself.

even jurrasic park.
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I can respect your stance, but I can suspend belief as long as the world im suppossed to believe makes sense within itself, if you get my drift.

take District 9 for example, alien flick but still held an air of realism. the dark knight, comic book story but still seemed real within itself.

even jurrasic park.

District 9 was a great movie son, all new Alien flicks should be like that. That movie did feel very real even though it wasn't.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    **SPOILER ALERT***

1. The whole "Hide the Monster/Alien" creates more suspense which is why films like "Jaws and Jurrasic Park" are Classic. I'd take that then the overblown lame, show the alien all the time approach. Atleast you look forward to finally seeing what it is in the end.

2. Well It's JJ Abrams film so of course it was going to have some similarities to his previous projects but the Alien was straight, I wasn't expecting to be blown away at the same time I was cool with it.

3. 1st it wasn't that the alien was intelligent. It was the fact it was magnetic and getting metal parts to build his ship that was damaged. It's a movie with an Area 51/military subplot let's not over think it.

4. Actually the Doctor did figure out what the Alien wanted, the Air Force chose not to listen to him and chose to torture the Alien. The Alien by touch was able to understand the Boy's emotions and knew that the boy was not trying to hurt it. At the end of the day the Alien just wanted to go Home but he also used humans as food. The only reason the Alien was even violent was cause the military had did experiments on it so the Alien was threaten by humans. Again this was E.T. but grown up, E.T. really just wanted to go Home but us stupid humans ? it off.

5. I mean if you wanted to be real, nobody would of survived that Train Crash but that was one of the most Epic parts of the movie. Plus the truck bounced off the train but the impact was enough to derail it. But again it's a movie let's not over anazlyed it.

6. The Ending was symbolism of people letting go. The Boy had to let go of the memory of his mother, the father had to forgive the guy for what happen to his wife. The girl had to better her relationship with the Father and the Father had to better his relationship with the Son while the Alien had to understand that all humans didn't want to ? it. The core of the film was about relationships, the Alien was secondary. I'm sorry if you wanted the typical "? the Alien, Blow up the ship and the humans save the day" ending but this was much deeper than that.

Again to me it was refreshing to see a film that was more story based. In a summer of again weak and played out sequels and Prequels, like "Inception" last year, it was good to see an original film. Also if you are a 70's or 80's baby that grew up on Spielberg and George Lucas there is no way this film didn't put you in a delorean and traveled back in time. It was such a throw back, I really enjoyed it and I'm not surprised it's getting great reviews. The Alien wasn't the main point of the film, it was the kids and the relationships.
  • young law
    edited June 2011
    Options
    so basically,
    JJ Abrams makes movies about human relationships and throws in a subplot to make it entertaining/sci-fi

this movie, and cloverfield could very well work w/o the monster plot,,,the monster subplot jus adds extra to the film