What Is "Caring" To You?

Options
DarcSkies
DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Social Lounge
Inspired by various twitter comments on Twiiter about the Japan Quake:

So I was thinking about the reaction to this whole Japanese quake and seeing people say ? like, "pray for Japan" and those who are making jokes being told they are "heartless" etc.

And then I think of how when people react to a person's personal tragedy they say things like, "I'm sorry for your loss," "if there's anything I can do..." blah blah blah.

Pray for Japan? Sorry for your loss? Yeah I'm sure the flooding will go away and the Nuclear Reactor wont meltdown because of "prayers" and you being "sorry" for them. RIGHT. "HEY JAPANESE ENGINEER GUY! NO NEED TO COME INTO WORK TO STOP THE MELTDOWN...PPL ARE PRAYING FOR US AND THEY'RE SORRY FOR OUR LOSS...WE'RE COOL. THANKS ANYWAY THOUGH."

It just seems like people like to pretend to care so other will compliment them on how "caring" and "kind" they are and they can pat themselves on the back.

To me caring is an ACTION.

1. If you want to talk about how sad it is for a 11 year old to be in a ? but you havent volunteered at a shelter for young girls then you full of ? . U just want a cookie for getting on your high horse.

2. If you claim u care about the black man's plight or whatever but you've done nothing to increase awareness (OFF THE IC) or been a mentor or whatever to black kids/people then you just talking ? .

3. If you think domestic violence is so bad why you not volunteering at a Beat Up ? shelter?

...People like to get on their high horse about people making jokes (in this case ? ) but when you think about it. People making jokes are doing just as much as most of you are doing about the problems in Japan or for that matter your own communities. NOTHING.

So do you really CARE? If you're not acting? Or are you just doing what you're conditioned to do? SHOW EMPATHY WITHOUT ACTUALLY HAVING IT?

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I don't care

And you're right, caring is action.

The praying ? is ? , "Hey let's pray for those people even though ? let it happen" shut up you ? morons.

And people only say ? like that to fit in and make themselves seem better
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Work and/or money.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I'm pretty caring. Yesterday, when the quake first happened, I trolled some Japanese boards, to show we cared.

imnsZS.gif
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Who knows Darxwell.. I have read your posts and replies every so often when entered threads.. and to be honest never thought this was the reaction you would have on the current issues and other's reponses about it...

I think if they pray for them, what wrong is it really.. I mean flaunting that they do it, I agree that is pretty bogus... to em the act of prayer should be something you don't need to tell people to do, or tell people you are doing it (and if they really do or not is another thing too)

People can care though and not do something actively for the cause so to speak.. I mean slot of factors come into play..

I mean, look, I care for the tragedy that people are enduring there... I do.. I just can;t get up and go there and help them clean up etc as i live alone and am struggling to basically live my own life.. but I care.. to me the care thing was when you feel the sorrows of what others may be going through...

I dunno. To each their own. You have your opinion and I respect it. Just stated my own.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    most people have trouble taking action i think its because they dont know how honestly
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    A formality....
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Talk about hypocrisy at its finest....along with playing both sides against the middle

1.Darxwell --- goes on and on about the 11 year and how sad is his?....then calls her a worthless ? .
    2.H-Rap --- claims pity for the Japanese people then wishes it had happened in Europe
    3.2012 et al of his ilk -- talks about how righteous they be & how much they help there own.....yet they spew endless hatred and resentment LOL and then claim they want unity.? joke....& the epitome of hypocrisy.

I am sensitive to the suffering of all peoples, after all I an a Black man.

When the 2003 Heat-wave hit Europe and killed 50,000 people many of us saw it as an omen of things to come and that more whites would find their untimely deaths at the hands of mother nature and natural disasters....it was not to be and our joy was short lived and our blood-? unsatiated.

However the spike in global warming has left me upbeat and optimistic and Im looking forward to a possible "Summer-Scorcher" that will roast the Caucasion like a frog inside of a witch-doctors cauldron.

...dress light.
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Feeling guilty?

Some hateful black people ? me up.......I live in a community that helps all kinds of peoples....the homeless and others regardless of the ethnicity. I'll guarantee you this much -- when it comes to actual voulnteers willing to help all of the less fortunate......9 times out of 10 YOU

Your words are empty rhetoric dripping with the slimy venom of a forked-tongue.

You do not help the less fortunate, if you did I would be able to recognize the the goodness in you but all you spew is intolerance and vitriol aimed at the powerless.

Black people are near incapable of "hate", we dont join hate-groups and bomb churtches, we dont hang nooses, and spray-paint swastikas....we suffer in silence mostly waiting for white Jesus to give us white wings in white heaven.

My heart goes out to my Japanese family but to all the caucasions I ask were was there sympathy when they rained nuclear fire on innocent men women and children in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?? Were were the prayers then??

The ? is a peculiar beast, he has a heart like ? and the mind of a lunatic, his evil knows no bounds and his false-empathy is sickening to those who know his true nature.
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Your hypocrisy is showing big time. I counter your BS and how deceitful your lying ass truly is. My actions speak for themselves in my community. YOU and those others I mentioned talk big, but I don't believe it. I just cited an actual example within my community & that runs true throughout many communities......rarely do you see any black faces actually helping.

Without audio/visual evidence to substantiate your claim, I would be foolish to believe you.

I watched in disgust as you hurled vicious barbs at my brother 2012', you have always been an instigator and agitator.

If you only rarely see Black faces its because you rarely frequent places were Black people reside.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    LMFAO....heyslick actually said "et al of his ilk"
  • shootemwon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    bill-nancy-RENO%202%20large.jpg

:LAFFUP

you cant be serious slick
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    H-Rap

So now your comparing actions of war to acts of nature & whining about it. If you had any courage you would take me up on my offer. There's a renowned tattoo parlor within my community and the owners name is 'Wild Bill'.... if you doubt me? -google it,then send him a e-mail Re: the man and his dumbbells & ask him about his opinion of me.....I DARE YOU to take me up on this. here you go punk....go for it

http://www.wild-bills.com/
    H-Rap

So now your comparing actions of war to acts of nature & whining about it. If you had any courage you would take me up on my offer. There's a renowned tattoo parlor within my community and the owners name is 'Wild Bill'.... if you doubt me? -google it,then send him a e-mail Re: the man and his dumbbells & ask him about his opinion of me.....I DARE YOU to take me up on this. here you go punk....go for it

http://www.wild-bills.com/

I use to think people with all those nasty tattoo sleves were trying to compensate for their lack of melanin but now our own people are doing that ? .

My analogy with Hiroshimo and the earthquake was to say that people are selective with their compassion. That act of war was seen as a neccesity while the earthquake was seen as an accident, their was little compassion for the people who were incinerated with nuclear death but know theres an outpouring of false-compassion for this act of nature.

If I have time I will investigate your "dare", and possibly find a way to relieve you of your earthly duties.
  • shootemwon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yes I am.....Wild Bill himself admires my tenacity and fortitude. Right across the street from his business is a salvation Army communithoy center.

Wild Bill is a recovering alcoholic.
  • shootemwon
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • shootemwon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Heyslick, after reading some of that website I've noticed the lousy grammar and incoherent sentence structures, so I have to ask...is Wild Bill actually you?
  • shootemwon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Why don't you ask Wild Bill about that......me and him have ONE thing in common IE recovering alcoholics (18 yrs this month). Btw that dude is like 6'7 and over 200 lbs.

He looks like a ?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    What Is "Caring" To You?

The pictures come on the news and I'm thinking: "? ... the ground I stand on may just cave in beneath me at anytime"

Life's a ? anyways *shrugs*
  • shootemwon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    He might be? BUT hes got a big heart and gives to the community. Isn't that what really matters? But given your so damn trifling and such he and his poor grammar is all you care about.

He's an egomaniac who wrote a long and self-indulgent biography for himself on that webpage and couldn't decide whether to refer to himself in the first or third person.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It just seems like people like to pretend to care so other will compliment them on how "caring" and "kind" they are and they can pat themselves on the back.

If you honestly don't think that people are genuinely bothered by genocide, earthquakes, ? , homicide etc., you don't know what goes on in the minds of other people.
    To me caring is an ACTION.

No, action is action. Caring precedes action.
    ...People like to get on their high horse about people making jokes (in this case ? ) but when you think about it. People making jokes are doing just as much as most of you are doing about the problems in Japan or for that matter your own communities. NOTHING.

In and of itself, finding humor in the suffering and misfortune of others isn't "immoral", it's of 'bad' character (by this I mean that loving, empathic people don't find humor in the suffering of others, you can't criticize someone for finding pleasure in or being indifferent to the suffering and misfortune of others but it's an undesirable trait). What is unethical is mocking the suffering and misfortune of others knowing how it will psychologically affect other people. It's not morally wrong to mock the dead because they are dead, it's wrong because of the effect that it will have on their friends, family members and other people who care for them.
    1. If you want to talk about how sad it is for a 11 year old to be in a ? but you havent volunteered at a shelter for young girls then you full of ? . U just want a cookie for getting on your high horse.

2. If you claim u care about the black man's plight or whatever but you've done nothing to increase awareness (OFF THE IC) or been a mentor or whatever to black kids/people then you just talking ? .

3. If you think domestic violence is so bad why you not volunteering at a Beat Up ? shelter?

To your list of examples, Darxwel, I would add criticizing women who exercise reproductive autonomy but not doing anything to improve the standard of living for orphans, children of single mothers in low income areas, adopting etc. Just saying.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Empathy..

I agree with mumra.

action is action.

I meanif your anti religion non believer or whatever you classify your self as its easy to say something as dismissive as praying is stupid... sometimes thats all people can do. Some people call them prayers you can call them what you like... To be totally dependent on prayer may not be the most effective thing ot do.. but its a matter of ones faith whether you believe in it or not.. your beliefs cant decide if ones faith is blind or "relevant"
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Damn, this thread got interesting QUICK!
  • shootemwon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Apparently that hasn't effected his success.....what has your superior education done for you? SO you haven't got anything good to say about that business man other than that nonsense about his grammar.....wow you're small.

I don't see what this has to do with the thread subject. Please try to stay on topic.
  • shootemwon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    So now you can't explain away your BS about your disdain for Wild Bill and his inferior grammar....NOW you wanna stay on topic.....huh? Seriously your the one who started that ? .

Stop trolling please.
  • DarcSkies
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Empathy..

I agree with mumra.

action is action.

I meanif your anti religion non believer or whatever you classify your self as its easy to say something as dismissive as praying is stupid... sometimes thats all people can do. Some people call them prayers you can call them what you like... To be totally dependent on prayer may not be the most effective thing ot do.. but its a matter of ones faith whether you believe in it or not.. your beliefs cant decide if ones faith is blind or "relevant"
    ? ....

How much does your cable bill cost per month, multiply that by 12? HOw much does a ticket to the Red Cross for a plane trip the the nearest disaster cost?

CARING is getting off your ass & putting your money/time where your mouth is. Not praying to an invisible cloud monkey which will achieve just about as much as the person who couldnt careless. Which is NOTHING.

You care yet you did nothing? Thats not caring that's emotional attention ? .

HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME! I CARE! i'M SUCH A GREAT PERSON! PAT ME ON THE BACK...GIMMIE MY COOKIE!
    In and of itself, finding humor in the suffering and misfortune of others isn't "immoral", it's of 'bad' character (by this I mean that loving, empathic people don't find humor in the suffering of others, you can't criticize someone for finding pleasure in or being indifferent to the suffering and misfortune of others but it's an undesirable trait). What is unethical is mocking the suffering and misfortune of others knowing how it will psychologically affect other people. It's not morally wrong to mock the dead because they are dead, it's wrong because of the effect that it will have on their friends, family members and other people who care for them.
    OK lets say somebody makes a joke about suffering people. What have they accomplished to ease the suffering of the people?..........NOTHING.

Now lets say somebody gets offended by the jokes. What have they done to ease the suffering of the people?...........NOTHING.

You basically saying you are better than them but you all doing the same damn thing. Which is.............NOTHING.

So you patting yourself on the back for doing NOTHING...just in a nicer way? WOW...well congratulations. You've done NOTHING but you did NOTHING with a smile on your face and empty words. So I guess you're og "good character" now.

No, the person who spends his time actually CONTRIBUTING TIME & ENERGY is the person of good character. ANd if you just want to sit back and talk about how terrible the jokes are or how terrible the tragedy is youre just a spectator. Wipty do for you.
  • DarcSkies
    edited March 2011
    Options
    To your list of examples, Darxwel, I would add criticizing women who exercise reproductive autonomy but not doing anything to improve the standard of living for orphans, children of single mothers in low income areas, adopting etc. Just saying.
    LOL...Euphemism for ? innocent human beings for selfish reasons.

And I've actually done something to prevent that by volunteering at the Health Office at my school during those AIDS, Sexual awareness drives...speaking the truth about abortion when morons like you try to insult my intelligence with idiotic euphemisms by EDUCATING YOU, NOT voting for femi-? politicians who, actually helping kids who are ALIVE with their school work unlike Republicans who only care about kids before they're born, not allowing serial killer sympathizers like you to double talk about "reproductive autonomy" when it's really just cold blooded KILLING...

I like how you speak of empathy but killing unborn human beings? PERFECTLY OK! Just good old fashioned "reproductive autonomy."

? it. Lets use your euphemism ridden escapism to excuse other acts against human beings :

1. BEATING YOUR WIFE FOR BURNING THE TOAST
    = YOU'RE HONOR YOU DONT UNDERSTAND! I DIDNT BEAT MY WIFE. IT WAS SIMPLY MY ACT OF "MANUAL COMMUNICATION!" I used a euphemism so that makes it OK.

2. SHOOTING SOMEONE DEAD = YOU DONT UNDERSTAND. I DIDNT ? ANYBODY...I SIMPLY "INDUCED INDEFINITE SLUMBER!" I used a euphemism so that makes it OK.

Insult somebody else's intelligence (or lack thereof on their part if they actually buy your ? ). I'll just make u look bad when you try that dumb ? with me.