In the Western World with Judaism & Islam, they ..

Options
KLICHE
KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Get converts/reverts whatever you want to called it... and they teach you the sayings and phrases in the language which the book was revealed...

But why with Christianity in the West, it isn't taught to learn important verses or phrases of praise to ? say, in the original language in which it was revealed???

P.S Sorry thought I clicked on 'R & R' when I posted!

Comments

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think back in the day, with Catholicism, they had to learn Latin to read the Christian bible, but that's not the original language either.

The problem is, the texts that comprise the Christian bible are written in two languages, Hebrew and Greek. So people must be prone to translating it.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    KLICHE wrote: »
    But why with Christianity in the West, it isn't taught to learn important verses or phrases of praise to ? say, in the original language in which it was revealed???
    well, it might also have something to do with the fact that Judaism has MUCH smaller numbers and so the language is played up for the purposes of cultural connection, which isn't necessary in Christianity. and with Islam, they make a big deal out of "if it's not in the original language, it's corrupted" ... which isn't a big deal for Christians either (as fiat_money mentioned, there isn't ONE language for the Bible)
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Christianity went through the reformation. One of the outcomes of that was the bible being translated into German initially and then English. Other languages soon followed.

The question itself raises an contradiction at least to me. If the initial writing was inspired by ? why would he allow the translations to be uninspired? Especially since he is all-knowing and can see how many would use those bibles. Further much of Islamic holy scriptures contradicts christian. One must be simply a book written by middle-eastern goat herders ... well one or more must be.