Did ? ask for the bible to be written?

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Tsia.................................

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    2 Timothy 3:16–17

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of ? , and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of ? may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

All scripture was written(given by the writers) by their inspiration of ? ....

I often wonder why people assume inspiration in this sense means ? physically moved their hands.
  • VIBE
    edited March 2011
    Options
    2 Timothy 3:16–17

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of ? , and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of ? may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

This doesn't show to me that ? asked anyone to write the bible. The writers were simply "inspired", inspired years and years LATER after the fact of all things going down.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think it was more like epiphanies that people wanted to share.
  • toktaylor
    toktaylor Members Posts: 612 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    He supposedly wrote the ten commandments for Moses and the Israelites but forget the art of writing to write the bible.. so he had to inspire a bunch of people hundreds of years after the events to write the bible in Hebrew.
    Not even Jesus, when he was alive wrote a single word about himself...go figure.
  • toktaylor
    toktaylor Members Posts: 612 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Every national church or religion has established itself by pretending some special mission from ? , communicated to certain individuals. The Jews have their Moses; the Christians their Jesus Christ, their apostles and saints; and the Turks their Mahomet; as if the way to ? was not open to every man alike and ? needs people to special people to interject on his behalf..
    Each of those churches shows certain books, which they call revelation, or the Word of ? . The Jews say that their Word of ? was given by ? to Moses face to face; the Christians say, that their Word of ? came by divine inspiration; and the Turks and Mormons say, that their Word of ? (the Koran and Mormon Bible)) was brought by an angel from heaven. Each of those
    churches accuses the other of unbelief; and, for my own part, I disbelieve them all.

Revelation when applied to religion, means something communicated immediately from ? to man. No one will deny or dispute the power of the Infinite Creator to make such a communication if he pleases. But admitting, for the sake of a case, that something has been revealed to a certain person, and not revealed to any other person, it is revelation to that person only. When he tells it to a second person, a second to a third, a third to a fourth, and so on, it ceases to be a revelation to all those persons. It is revelation to the first person only, and hearsay to every other, and consequently, they are not obliged to believe it and ? would have known this.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Nah aliens did, because you know, they don't have thumbs to write it their self.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    If ? inspires me to write something will it be included in the bible someday?

Good question, and the answer is no because they say there are no more prophets. They knew that your type would ask that question so they decided to beat you to the punch by proclaiming that there are no more prophets. I repeat no more prophets
  • VIBE
    edited March 2011
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »
    Good question, and the answer is no because they say there are no more prophets. They knew that your type would ask that question so they decided to beat you to the punch by proclaiming that there are no more prophets. I repeat no more prophets

This is how I take most of the bible, they pretty much claim such things in advanced and it seems like it's some prophetic vision. Things such as, "people will mock ? ", "people will love evil", "there are no more prophets" etc etc.

I never understood even when I was a believer how that actually makes sense to proclaim TRUTH to prophets. It's not like they were stating factual, word by word things that would be IMPOSSIBLE to predict. It's all simple things, it's like it was going on in their times so they logically knew it would always occur, so they state it.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited March 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    This is how I take most of the bible, they pretty much claim such things in advanced and it seems like it's some prophetic vision. Things such as, "people will mock ? ", "people will love evil", "there are no more prophets" etc etc.

I never understood even when I was a believer how that actually makes sense to proclaim TRUTH to prophets. It's not like they were stating factual, word by word things that would be IMPOSSIBLE to predict. It's all simple things, it's like it was going on in their times so they logically knew it would always occur, so they state it.

What about other prophets that did? Like Edgar Casey, there were a number of things he predicted with actual dates that came true and some things that may be true but can't be verified (Claiming that Atlantis would be found during I forget what year and that same year archaeologists finding what looked to be a sunken city off the Bimini Row)
  • VIBE
    edited March 2011
    Options
    What about other prophets that did? Like Edgar Casey, there were a number of things he predicted with actual dates that came true and some things that may be true but can't be verified (Claiming that Atlantis would be found during I forget what year and that same year archaeologists finding what looked to be a sunken city off the Bimini Row)

I'm talking about the biblical prophecies, them ? are just like Nostradamus' predictions; it fits what you make it.
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    so we're all in agreement that the bible was clearly written by man, and as such, subject to exaggeration and quite possibly, ? ?