Exodus 21:16 Proves That The Bible Does Not Support "Slavery"

Options
The True Flesh
The True Flesh Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Without a shadow of a doubt.

And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death. Exodus 21:16

Sure the terms and conditions of labor contracts from 4000+ years ago aren't practical for today, but there is NO CHAPTER/VERSE anywhere in the Bible that shows that ? condones kidnapping people from their homes and forcing them to work your fields.

There are Butlers and maids now that have contracts that stipulate that when their employer dies that the children will continue to employ them.......It may not be your cup of tea, but it was very practical in that day.

Why is the word slave/slavery used 181 in the New International Version??? .......so you could subconsciously equate certain passages with Trans-Atlantic slavery. WE HAVE TO BE SMARTER !!!

Thou shalt not oppress an hired servant that is poor and needy, whether he be of thy brethren, or of thy strangers that are in thy land within thy gates Deuteronomy 24:14

He shall judge the poor of the people, he shall save the children of the needy, and shall break in pieces the oppressor. Psalm 72:4

? , in the Bible, is ALWAYS against oppression.........and I have proof !!!

PEACE

Comments

• aijalon
    aijalon Members Posts: 919
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Why'd you have to make a new thread though?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Those verses are about kidnap-based human trafficking and hired servants.

They don't address POW, debt, criminal sentence, or other forms of slavery.

So Exodus 21:16 merely proves that the Christian bible does not support kidnap-based human trafficking.
  • fiat_money
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    So as long as you don't steal your slaves you are cool with ? .
    Got it.
    Slave trade anyone?
    Word, you can't beat them to death or disfigure them either.

I mean, you can beat them and they can die a day or so later, just not during the process of you beating them.
  • The True Flesh
    edited March 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Those verses are about kidnap-based human trafficking and hired servants.

They don't address POW, debt, criminal sentence, or other forms of slavery.

So Exodus 21:16 merely proves that the Christian bible does not support kidnap-based human trafficking.

Oh, IC.

I proved the point I set out to prove.

If there are some POW, debt,crminal sentence passages anyone would wish to address.......we can do that too.

PEACE
  • aijalon
    aijalon Members Posts: 919
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The Bible is the most contradictory book ever written or read.
    Christians continually attempt to EXPLAIN ? into the hearts of men who they feel are in need.
    That in itself would seem to imply that ? is in need of man's assistance.
    If ? is indeed a sovereign being then he has no need of our assistance.
    The simplistic basis of your faith proposes that ? has given all free will.

Christians need to stop attempting to argue people to the belief in their faith. Especially when doing so with a book which they have little to no comprehension of.
  • The True Flesh
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Look, it may not be pretty, but if you know about dispensations you would know that initially ? governed the people directly and when the people expressed that they would rather be lead by men, ? gave them over to HUMAN GOVERNMENT.......starting with Nimrod.........They probably regretted it.

PEACE
  • The True Flesh
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Link or ? .

It's called the Book of Genesis.
  • fiat_money
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Oh, IC.

I proved the point I set out to prove.

If there are some POW, debt,crminal sentence passages anyone would wish to address.......we can do that too.

PEACE
    Misleading title then, since the verse posted doesn't prove that the Christian bible does not support slavery.

These verses, on the other hand, show the Christian bible's clear support of slavery.:

Also from Exodus 21 -

2 “If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. 3 If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. 4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free. 5 “But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ 6 then his master must take him before the judges.URL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus%2021:2-6&version=NIV#fen-NIV-2084a"]a[/URL He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

7 “If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. 8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself,URL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus%2021:7-11&version=NIV#fen-NIV-2086a"]a[/URL he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her. 9 If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter. 10 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.

Leviticus 25 -
    44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Ephesians 6:5 -
    Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

1 Timothy 6 -
    1 All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that ? ’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. 2 Those who have believing masters should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfareURL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Timothy%206:1-2%20&version=NIV#fen-NIV-29791a"]a[/URL of their slaves.
  • The True Flesh
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Misleading title then, since the verse posted doesn't prove that the Christian bible does not support slavery.

These verses, on the other hand, show the Christian bible's clear support of slavery.:

Also from Exodus 21 -

2 “If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. 3 If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. 4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free. 5 “But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ 6 then his master must take him before the judges.URL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus%2021:2-6&version=NIV#fen-NIV-2084a"]a[/URL He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

7 “If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. 8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself,URL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus%2021:7-11&version=NIV#fen-NIV-2086a"]a[/URL he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her. 9 If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter. 10 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.

Leviticus 25 -
    44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Ephesians 6:5 -
    Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

1 Timothy 6 -
    1 All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that ? ’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. 2 Those who have believing masters should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfareURL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Timothy%206:1-2%20&version=NIV#fen-NIV-29791a"]a[/URL of their slaves.

The NIV changes the whole context.......especially with regards to the New Testament scriptures.

Also in these passages, who do you buy these so-called "slaves" from ?

.......Themselves, that's who, They're essentially contracted workers.......sure including your children in an employment contract seems absurd.......BUT, AGAIN, THIS IS 4000+ YEARS AGO !!!!!!!

where DOES ANY SCRIPTURE INDICATE THAT ? CONDONES A MAN BEING FORCED TO WORK FOR ANOTHER AGAINST HIS WILL WITHOUT COMPENSATION ???

.......I'll wait

Additionally, I'll no longer respond to verses from the ? NIV.

PEACE
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Praise ? ! Let ? be glorified my brother! ? bless you!
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Brother Flesh, why do you deny The Bible Gods word?

Do you understand about the HEBREW CULTURE/CUSTOMS/LAWS back in THOSE DAYS?

*waits*
  • toktaylor
    toktaylor Members Posts: 612 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death. Exodus 21:16

Sure the terms and conditions of labor contracts from 4000+ years ago aren't practical for today, but there is NO CHAPTER/VERSE anywhere in the Bible that shows that ? condones kidnapping people from their homes and forcing them to work your fields.

There are Butlers and maids now that have contracts that stipulate that when their employer dies that the children will continue to employ them.......It may not be your cup of tea, but it was very practical in that day.

Why is the word slave/slavery used 181 in the New International Version??? .......so you could subconsciously equate certain passages with Trans-Atlantic slavery. WE HAVE TO BE SMARTER !!!

Thou shalt not oppress an hired servant that is poor and needy, whether he be of thy brethren, or of thy strangers that are in thy land within thy gates Deuteronomy 24:14

He shall judge the poor of the people, he shall save the children of the needy, and shall break in pieces the oppressor. Psalm 72:4

PEACE

here is your proof... (in the same Exodus)
    EXODUS 12:44 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, “These are the regulations for the Passover meal:
    “No foreigner may eat it. 44 Any slave you have bought may eat it after you have circumcised him, 45 but a temporary resident or a hired worker may not eat it.

EXODUS 21:7 “If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. 8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her. 9 If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter. 10 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.

EXODUS21:21 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.

there is a lot more...what you have proven is the contradictory nature of the bible...PEACE!!
  • toktaylor
    toktaylor Members Posts: 612 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    toktaylor wrote: »
    here is your proof... (in the same Exodus)
    EXODUS 12:44 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, “These are the regulations for the Passover meal:
    “No foreigner may eat it. 44 Any slave you have bought may eat it after you have circumcised him, 45 but a temporary resident or a hired worker may not eat it.

EXODUS 21:7 “If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. 8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her. 9 If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter. 10 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.

EXODUS21:21 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.

there is a lot more...what you have proven is the contradictory nature of the bible...PEACE!!

i do agree that the ? /Infinite Creator does not condone slavery..because the bible was not written by the diety.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

PEACE

m8390y.gif

I'm sick of the white man lies trying to equate chattel slavery to serfdom in the ancient times. gtfoh wtih that ?

Good post, Flesh
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    lmao and smh @ BLACK PEOPLE tring to rationalize slavery

"it was different back then."

as if diferent levels of it are acceptable
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think it's sad and hilarious that the some of the same people who whine and ? and cry about the white man being such an evil force for the world now want to rationalize slavery.

Hilarious. The Bible is a sick and twisted book that supports the BEATING and SELLING and TRADING of slaves. What part of that is so hard to understand? The excuses some of ya'll have rationalizing the Bible's evil ways are funny as hell.

The KKK would be proud so many gullible Negroes here are still worshipping a book that was edited so much by white kings and popes.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    m8390y.gif

I'm sick of the white man lies trying to equate chattel slavery to serfdom in the ancient times. gtfoh wtih that ?

Good post, Flesh

There's a difference between beating, trading/ selling slaves and serfdom.

Do you have any employees? Would you ever beat them and sell their kids because they ? you off?

The Bible supports that, and the disgusting book known as the Bible encouraged Americans for 300 years to do that to Black slaves. You think that's cool?
  • Chike
    edited March 2011
    Options
    So as long as you don't steal your slaves you are cool with ? .
    Got it.
    Slave trade anyone?

33xvq7cjpg.gif

Options
    if you're desperate enough to call voluntary servitude, Slavery, then yes it does support it.

Nonetheless, the bible clearly doesn't support, man-stealing, which is how Black people wound up in the Western Hemisphere

I see nobody has made a rebuttal to this post..
  • fiat_money
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ...DOES ANY SCRIPTURE INDICATE THAT ? CONDONES A MAN BEING FORCED TO WORK FOR ANOTHER AGAINST HIS WILL WITHOUT COMPENSATION ???...
    Why yes, that's precisely what institutional slavery is.

Leviticus 25; which I also posted above, shows clear support of slavery. From the purchasing of slaves, to their treatment as property, to the permanence of their enslavement.

Now available in multiple flavors:
    Leviticus 25:44-46 (New Living Translation)

44 “However, you may purchase male and female slaves from among the nations around you. 45 You may also purchase the children of temporary residents who live among you, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, 46 passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat them as slaves, but you must never treat your fellow Israelites this way.

Leviticus 25:44-46 (New American Standard Bible)

44'As for your male and female slaves whom you may have--you may acquire male and female slaves from the pagan nations that are around you.
    45'Then, too, it is out of the sons of the sojourners who live as aliens among you that you may gain acquisition, and out of their families who are with you, whom they will have produced in your land; they also may become your possession.
    46'You may even bequeath them to your sons after you, to receive as a possession; you can use them as permanent slaves. But in respect to your countrymen, the sons of Israel, you shall not rule with severity over one another
    Leviticus 25:44-46 (New King James Version)

44 And as for your male and female slaves whom you may have—from the nations that are around you, from them you may buy male and female slaves. 45 Moreover you may buy the children of the strangers who dwell among you, and their families who are with you, which they beget in your land; and they shall become your property. 46 And you may take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them as a possession; they shall be your permanent slaves. But regarding your brethren, the children of Israel, you shall not rule over one another with rigor.
  • Chike
    edited March 2011
    Options
    There's a difference between beating, trading/ selling slaves and serfdom.

Do you have any employees? Would you ever beat them and sell their kids because they ? you off?

The Bible supports that, and the disgusting book known as the Bible encouraged Americans for 300 years to do that to Black slaves. You think that's cool?

Maybe the Bible wasn't supporting it, rather than just explaining what happened... I dunno, but the verses Flesh posted, it's clearly not supporting slavery in the form we know to be chattel slavery.
  • Chike
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Why yes, that's precisely what institutional slavery is.

Leviticus 25; which I also posted above, shows clear support of slavery. From the purchasing of slaves, to their treatment as property, to the permanence of their enslavement.

Now available in multiple flavors:
    Leviticus 25:44-46 (New Living Translation)

44 “However, you may purchase male and female slaves from among the nations around you. 45 You may also purchase the children of temporary residents who live among you, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, 46 passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat them as slaves, but you must never treat your fellow Israelites this way.

Leviticus 25:44-46 (New American Standard Bible)

44'As for your male and female slaves whom you may have--you may acquire male and female slaves from the pagan nations that are around you.
    45'Then, too, it is out of the sons of the sojourners who live as aliens among you that you may gain acquisition, and out of their families who are with you, whom they will have produced in your land; they also may become your possession.
    46'You may even bequeath them to your sons after you, to receive as a possession; you can use them as permanent slaves. But in respect to your countrymen, the sons of Israel, you shall not rule with severity over one another
    Leviticus 25:44-46 (New King James Version)

44 And as for your male and female slaves whom you may have—from the nations that are around you, from them you may buy male and female slaves. 45 Moreover you may buy the children of the strangers who dwell among you, and their families who are with you, which they beget in your land; and they shall become your property. 46 And you may take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them as a possession; they shall be your permanent slaves. But regarding your brethren, the children of Israel, you shall not rule over one another with rigor.

It still doesnt say to beat the ? out of slaves or treat them like animals (property needs to be taken care of, so treating people like property does not mean to treat them like ? . Only white people see it that way because they don't care about anything or anyone but themselves, so naturally they will treat their property like ? if they please). I'm also curious as to how the word slave is in the Bible if that word came from the Slavic people. didn't that happen after the Bible was allegedly written?
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think it's sad and hilarious that the some of the same people who whine and ? and cry about the white man being such an evil force for the world now want to rationalize slavery.

Hilarious. The Bible is a sick and twisted book that supports the BEATING and SELLING and TRADING of slaves. What part of that is so hard to understand? The excuses some of ya'll have rationalizing the Bible's evil ways are funny as hell.

The KKK would be proud so many gullible Negroes here are still worshipping a book that was edited so much by white kings and popes.

? 's ridiculous
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    a book written by pre-historic white men will never hold any validity with me.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    pre-historic
    i do not think this word means what you think it means