Darren Aronofsky Leaves ‘The Wolverine’

Options
apollo greed
apollo greed Members Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Darren Aronofsky Leaves ‘The Wolverine’
By: Erik Davis on March 17, 2011 at 10:49AM Comments (21)

Grab your tissues and prepare to get your cry on X-Men fans, because Darren Aronofsky has decided not to direct The Wolverine, which was 20th Century Fox’s follow-up to X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Though Hugh Jackman is still attached – and production was set to begin real soon – Aronofsky has opted to walk away prior to production because, according to a statement he released, he does not want to be away from his family for a year during production.
He says, “As I talked more about the film with my collaborators at Fox, it became clear that the production of ‘The Wolverine’ would keep me out of the country for almost a year. I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time. I am sad that I won't be able to see the project through, as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again."
Now, keep in mind this studio is somewhat notorious for poking around their productions (especially X-Men-related movies) a little too much, and that may have irked Aronofsky, who’s always been a filmmaker that takes huge risks with his work. The partnership never seemed to make sense early on (even though Aronofsky on a Wolverine movie seems brilliant on paper), and while this latest news certainly stings, we can’t really say we’re surprised.
Where do you think they should go from here? Which director would you like to see take over for Aronofsky on The Wolverine, which, as of now, is due out at some point in 2012. - Fandango

Comments

• arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    That was the only saving grace for this movie. With the trailers and posters for the new X-Men making it look more and more like it will be a ? show, I think we can safely say that Fox is nearly successful in ? up the entire X-Men franchise.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Not surprised at all, it was too good to be true. Just cancel the movie
  • destro1
    destro1 Members Posts: 622 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yeah this film will blow chunks now...probably
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Honestly, I hope this will be the first in a series of major stumbling blocks that leads to Marvel getting control of the X-Men film franchise back from Fox, so we can finally get some X-Men films done right.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The Jamel wrote: »
    was gonna suck anyway, Logan is what 5' 2"? Jackman's 6' 3".

Plus Jackman's just to nice to play a ? .

One day I was walking past Madame Tussand's and the Hugh Jackman as Wolverine statue was outside the museum. Rex is 6f even. I saw the statue and noticed that Jackman was kinda like hunch over. I looked at the statue and realized that they made the statue with Jackman standing straight up, he would be taller than me. The first out of my mouth was, "Hugh Jackman is too tall to be Wolverine.

x-men2.jpg

Instead of being the shortest person in the cast, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine one of the tallest. One of the things that makes Logan, Logan is his height. He's a stocky lil guy take will ? you up, BAD. Logan's height is as iconic as his claws and healing factor. Also there's Halle Berry. I think it's fair to say that out of the X-Ladies, Ororo is the tallest. Again Storm's tallest statuesque form is one of those sublities that make the character.

We would ever see Supes or The Bat-Man cast as somebody who's 5'6", the same attention to detail should've been taken in regards to casting an actor to play Wolverine.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The shittiness of the X-men movies (except X2) had nothing to do with Hugh Jackman's height.
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    QUOTE=The Jamel;2251513]was gonna suck anyway, Logan is what 5' 2"? Jackman's 6' 3".

Plus Jackman's just to nice to play a ? .
    One day I was walking past Madame Tussand's and the Hugh Jackman as Wolverine statue was outside the museum. Rex is 6f even. I saw the statue and noticed that Jackman was kinda like hunch over. I looked at the statue and realized that they made the statue with Jackman standing straight up, he would be taller than me. The first out of my mouth was, "Hugh Jackman is too tall to be Wolverine.

x-men-group.jpg

Instead of being the shortest person in the cast, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine one of the tallest. One of the things that makes Logan, Logan is his height. He's a stocky lil guy take will ? you up, BAD. Logan's height is as iconic as his claws and healing factor. Also there's Halle Berry. I think it's fair to say that out of the X-Ladies, Ororo is the tallest. Again Storm's tallest statuesque form is one of those sublities that make the character.

We would ever see Supes or The Bat-Man cast as somebody who's 5'6", the same attention to detail should've been taken in regards to casting an actor to play Wolverine.

I see your point, and as a longtime comic book fan, it's not like I haven't echoed the same sentiments. But consider this.....

It's easy to say that, but what do you think the reaction of the majority of moviegoers seeing a guy basically the height of Danny DeVito on screen ? up bad guys left and right is gonna be? No one would take it seriously. It would look like a comedy.

It's easy for those of us who are knowledgeable about these characters to nitpick, but the general public doesn't have the ins and outs on these characters, and unfortunately, the general public is who the studios are making the movies for, NOT the fanboys. So, we have to expect some tweaking here and there, which I don't have a problem with, so long as the overall integrity of the character is preserved, and the changes make sense.

And height aside, you have to admit Hugh Jackman has OWNED the role of Wolverine. That was one of the best casting decisions since Chris Reeve was cast as Superman.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Are ? really complaining about Hugh Jackman's height? C'mon ? you'll hate on anything be honest here
  • Stoh13
    Stoh13 Members Posts: 104
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Origins was SUCH a ? movie, i hated myself while watching it, and i was ? and faded. It was such a buzzkill! Cmon, that scene where wolverine was looking in the mirror clanging his claws together?? ? . One last thing, Ryan Reynolds.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • Maximus Rex
    edited March 2011
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    Are ? really complaining about Hugh Jackman's height? C'mon ? you'll hate on anything be honest here

You're missing the point dude. Logan's height is one of the things that makes him Logan. It's analogus to having a Spidey film and Peter not living with Aunt May. Having a Supes film and Kal El isn't from Krypton, or Bruce Wayne not being inspired by a big ass bat to don a bat like costume.
  • ShencotheMC
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You're missing the point dude. Logan's height is one of the things that makes him Logan. It's analogus to having a Spidey film and Peter not living with Aunt May. Having a Supes film and Kal El isn't from Krypton, or Bruce Wayne not being inspired by a big ass bat to don a bat like costume.

Nah ? those are major plot holes that someone would notice. I'm not in the theater talking about " Wait! Hold on! Is Wolverine taller than what he's supposed to be? Oh hell no! ? this ? ! This is ? ! I'm out of here!" that's some unnoticeable ? that y'all cats is complaining about
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    good hopefully they'll let the franchise rest for about 15 years. maybe then they'll be able to do the whole damn thing justice
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Nah ? those are major plot holes that someone would notice. I'm not in the theater talking about " Wait! Hold on! Is Wolverine taller than what he's supposed to be? Oh hell no! ? this ? ! This is ? ! I'm out of here!" that's some unnoticeable ? that y'all cats is complaining about

Exactly, like the ? height was the major downfall of those ? ass movies. Jackman sucks as Logan and it has nothing to do with his height. Dude just can't pull of the grimmy, sullen, brooding character. He is acting like Tom Cruise is playing Wolverine...it has ? all to do with the ? height.
  • ShencotheMC
    edited March 2011
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    Exactly, like the ? height was the major downfall of those ? ass movies. Jackman sucks as Logan and it has nothing to do with his height. Dude just can't pull of the grimmy, sullen, brooding character. He is acting like Tom Cruise is playing Wolverine...it has ? all to do with the ? height.

Woah, Ima have to disagree with you on that my dude. Hugh Jackman been killing this role
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Woah, Ima have to disagree with you on that my dude. Hugh Jackman been killing this role

Com'on son, Logan is GRIMMY! Jackman acts as if he is some angry frat boy with self-esteem issues.
  • robdaze151
    edited March 2011
    Options
    This is the guy they expect us ? comic nerds to accept as the best there is at what he does
    hugh_jackman_FrankMicelotta.jpg
    this guy? ...............The boy from Oz?
  • ShencotheMC
    edited March 2011
    Options
    robdaze151 wrote: »
    This is the guy they expect us ? comic nerds to accept as the best there is at what he does
    hugh_jackman_FrankMicelotta.jpg
    this guy? ...............The boy from Oz?

It's called being an actor and taking a diverse range of roles. Is this dumb ? y'all ? talking serious or something?
  • robdaze151
    edited March 2011
    Options
    dead serious he sucked as Wolverine bro
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • ShencotheMC
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The Jamel wrote: »
    simple way to solve this argument is that us as Die Hard Comic Book Fans expect a certain standard when it comes to our beloved characters.

You can't fault us for wanting the best representation to be shown.

And Jackman isn't.
    You won't understand our logic so don't try.

We'd take a virtual unknown over a big name actor if it meant the character met our strict criteria.
    Call it what you want, but that's how it is.

Look at how ya'll think MJW or one of them Stomp The Yard ? should be playing the Black Panther instead of Sebastian Foucan.

I understand you fanboys want the best representations, but height though? Really? Height? C'mon son GTFOHWTBS
  • robdaze151
    edited March 2011
    Options
    not so much height and more on the lines as not believable to someone who truely knows the character. I'd accept a 5'10 Logan as long as he could pull it off.

edit: and save the fanboy tag. it's used more for the star wars/ trekkie fanbase
    we prefer diehard comic fans or nerds but not fanboys
  • Maximus Rex
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I understand you fanboys want the best representations, but height though? Really? Height? C'mon son GTFOHWTBS

Again, Logan's height is one of the things that's iconic about the characters. It's like having a short dude play Supes or The Bat-Man. The same goes for WW, she has to be played by a taller than average chick
    robdaze151 wrote:
    and save the fanboy tag. it's used more for the star wars/ trekkie fanbase
    we prefer diehard comic fans or nerds but not fanboys

Actually "fanboy", is the term originally used to describe us. The first time I ever saw the term "fanboy", was in a comic book letter column. Fanboy has been used to describe fans of other genres too. With that being said, I'm a fanboy and very proud of it]
  • robdaze151
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Fanboys are usually the ones in mommy's basement, rocking underoos and eating cheetos