Someone explain the phrase "Never forget 9/11"

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Social Lounge
What is the purpose of always bringing up the WTC attacks and "never forgetting" it? There's still a big void space where the buildings stood.

Maybe I'm wrong, but could it be that Americans want to milk the 9/11 cow as much as possible to retain a false-sense of international or foreign entitlement?

Or maybe the politicians still see it as a viable talking point to get their bills passed and remain in office... even if they could give a ? less about 9/11 or the dying firefighters, policemen, and doctors whose health were forever impaired that day?

Comments

• shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yeah, you're basically right. Also, "Never Forget" is just a generic phrase that people use after a big catastrophe to act like they're eternally and solemnly mourning, even though they go around living their lives same as always 99.9% of the time.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited March 2011
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Imo

I think you just answered your own question. The WTC building itself is gone and forgotten real things like the bold ed area above is what people will 'never forget' -- so what's wrong with average people doing that? ? them damn crooked ass and lying politicians and most of what they stand for,which is next to nothing.

Funny

Most of the things I see that are remembered about 9/11 consists of these words
    terror
    terrorists
    evil
    threat
    evil terror
    evil
    evil
    ? evil
    ahhhhh ? omg1!!!!!!! EVIL1
    more evil
    we need to ? them evil

Go asks the families of those who risked and or gave their lives on 9/11 if people "remember" them. Go ask the 43,000 workers on 9/11 who now are dying of post related illnesses who live without insurance if anyone remembers them. Nobody remembers those who gave up personal gain to help others, the media said ? them and played the terror card repeatedly so "Never forget 9/11" always gave the future a justifiable cause to blow the ? out of turban wearing, full beard having, people in any foreign country.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Word so lets forget all the earthquakes, floods, tsunami's and citizens killed in pathetic wars or maybe we can remember that any country can catch it.
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited March 2011
    Options
    "Never Forget 9/11"
    "Remember the Alamo"

"Forget Slavery! It was so long ago!
    "Segregation didn't happen to YOU! Why you talking about it?"
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    kinda like "remember the alamo."
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited March 2011
    Options
    edeeesq wrote: »
    "Never Forget 9/11"
    "Remember the Alamo"

"Forget Slavery! It was so long ago!
    "Segregation didn't happen to YOU! Why you talking about it?"

This is true, but I think some of it may have to do with the fact that many blacks bring the ? up greedily where as 9/11 victims and those who were part of the Alamo didn't use it 60 years later trying to get things from it.

I don't think in 3 generations 9/11 victims great grandchildren will be rallying asking for ownership of the country to be given to them because their great grandparents died in the towers.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It's not 9/11 per se that should be remembered so much as the victims of 9/11, imo.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    "Remember the Alamo"
    i'm just trying to figure out where "remember Goliad" went
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited March 2011
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    i'm just trying to figure out where "remember Goliad" went

Who cares what happened in Texas

Plus America don't want to remember a time when Mexicans was crossing the border and kicking some ass
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Who cares what happened in Texas
    Plus America don't want to remember a time when Mexicans was crossing the border and kicking some ass
    technically they were not crossing the border and shooting 330 disarmed prisoners doesn't usually qualify as "kicking some ass"
    personally, i would have gone with "America don't want to remember a time when Mexican military forces were on the loose in Texas"
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited March 2011
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    technically they were not crossing the border and shooting 330 disarmed prisoners doesn't usually qualify as "kicking some ass"
    personally, i would have gone with "America don't want to remember a time when Mexican military forces were on the loose in Texas"

I like swear words, guns, and dead bodies. Your wack ass phrase only hints at two of those.
  • edeeesq
    edited March 2011
    Options
    This is true, but I think some of it may have to do with the fact that many blacks bring the ? up greedily where as 9/11 victims and those who were part of the Alamo didn't use it 60 years later trying to get things from it.

I don't think in 3 generations 9/11 victims great grandchildren will be rallying asking for ownership of the country to be given to them because their great grandparents died in the towers.

I'mma have to disagree with you on this part.....I've yet to meet a black person (this is me personally now) that is looking to PROFIT off of our history.....I'd be happy with just the admission that it happened and the systematic implant of racism that bred this country.....
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I'mma have to disagree with you on this part.....I've yet to meet a black person (this is me personally now) that is looking to PROFIT off of our history.....I'd be happy with just the admission that it happened and the systematic implant of racism that bred this country.....

Reparations, I see it repeatedly on here where blacks feel they should just be handed ? for the past, my dad used to tell me we should be given our own sections away from white folks

@ the second part yea, sometimes it gets to be too much that they try and hide it for no reason other than to suppress our history, other times I see why people tell us to shut the ? up about it
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Reparations, I see it repeatedly on here where blacks feel they should just be handed ? for the past, my dad used to tell me we should be given our own sections away from white folks

@ the second part yea, sometimes it gets to be too much that they try and hide it for no reason other than to suppress our history, other times I see why people tell us to shut the ? up about it
    If that's your view on reparations you obviously dont know WTF reparations is. How you can be "black" and not understand how decendents of slaves are at a 400+ year disadvantage in education, economics, and basic human rights because of the impact of slavery is inexcusable.

If you're not going to take the time to understand the issue, the history and the impact of slavery on ALL generations after it then just ? . Why do you have an opinion on some ? you know literally NOTHING about?

Dismissing reparations as "blacks being handed ? " is like dismissing a space shuttle launch as "nerds shooting giant bottles in the sky." Simple minded and idiotic.

Reconstruction happened after slavery, then Jim Crow. After physical slavery was educational slavery. Then political slavery. Then economic slavery. Slavery as in not being in control of your own destiny your own communities and in most cases your own children's lives because you were unable to do things that will put them in a position to compete with others.

"Once upon a time there was slavery. Then there was a big fat war. And a tall man named Lincoln freed the slaves. Now we're all best buds. YAYYYYYY!"

? outta here.
  • shootemwon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    If that's your view on reparations you obviously dont know WTF reparations is. How you can be "black" and not understand how decendents of slaves are at a 400+ year disadvantage in education, economics, and basic human rights because of the impact of slavery is inexcusable.

If you're not going to take the time to understand the issue, the history and the impact of slavery on ALL generations after it then just ? . Why do you have an opinion on some ? you know literally NOTHING about?

Dismissing reparations as "blacks being handed ? " is like dismissing a space shuttle launch as "nerds shooting giant bottles in the sky." Simple minded and idiotic.

Reconstruction happened after slavery, then Jim Crow. After physical slavery was educational slavery. Then political slavery. Then economic slavery. Slavery as in not being in control of your own destiny your own communities and in most cases your own children's lives because you were unable to do things that will put them in a position to compete with others.

"Once upon a time there was slavery. Then there was a big fat war. And a tall man named Lincoln freed the slaves. Now we're all best buds. YAYYYYYY!"

? outta here.

Sonned into Oblivion.

Not to mention people use 9/11 selfishly all the time.
  • DarcSkies
    edited March 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    this is ? absurd...
    I'm in the streets and in academia and don't hear blacks begging for ? because of slavery...
    stop pushing this propaganda...
    not to mention ppl dying in 9/11 isn't the same as the country you live in unjustly enslaving/segregating/imprisoning ppl because of their skin color...
    let's talk about 9/11 and not bring up how much black ppl allegedly whine about things that they should be KILLING for...
    PREACH
    Not to mention people use 9/11 selfishly all the time.
    As an excuse to pass bills, express hatred towards Muslims or in two cases continue a dangerous counter productive war.

But Lord forbid decedents of slaves request some sort of reparations for atrocities that negatively affect all black people's lives today.

And BTW...reparations arent even going to happen. Not because they arent due. But because whites are in charge of deciding if they happen. So pretty much DOA on that little dream.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

lol.........
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited March 2011
    Options

Never said e weren't. Now educations is ? to me, we are at a point where we can get the same education but too many ? are dropping out or yelling they won't learn white man education. We ain't going to go nowhere by back to the ghetto with that type of thinking. ? can yell they want one thing and make excuses for not doing it when given the opportunity. Miss me with that education ? . Economics will follow well educated black youth. Basic Human Rights are going to ? for every race so don't expect it to get better.

Or perhaps the reparations yelling I was talking about was them ? who want the government to cut every black person a $500,000 check. But again, you don't take time to think about anything other than how to ? about someone keeping it real about ? .

My parents ain't have the means to put me in college, I went and did fine in life afterward. Why can't we do good in school get scholarships or get loans? Plenty ? do it all the time and make something of themselves, why ain't you pushing the youth and the neighborhoods for that ? ?

That's right, you're a ? that ? and moans but don't do ? because your ? solution is a flawed one and youre a ? .

? outta here.

I am, this site really ? me off sometimes, I think I just got pushed to the point that I'm gonna go change the youth on my ? own since it seems the black community don't care about doing ? that will help us.

? EDUCATION - JUST TELL YOURSELF YOU CAN'T

? A JOB - JUST TELL YOURSELF YOU'RE TOO GOOD FOR WORK

? A LIBRARY - REAL ? CANT READ!
  • shootemwon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Damn, did Darc just son chozen off the IC?
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

? outta here.

Everyone who is in need of government support should be aided whether they descend from slaves or not. The rightful recipients of reparations are dead and buried and have been for over a century.
  • edeeesq
    edited March 2011
    Options

Again, this isn't about a handout - this is about BACK PAY

Think of it this way...

You work a business for someone else - for free. , Because you're working for someone else, you are unable to get educated. You cannot advance in the business because it's not yours. There's NO WAY for you to get an upperhand at all AND you can't quit. The business booms, the owner makes millions, you don't get a penny, you don't get your time back, you don't even get the benefit of the doubt for the work you've done in creating the business....

Reparations is like getting one big back pay check for the work you done. For the times you could've advanced, but was held back. For the pain, suffering and tireless work....its FAR from a handout...

Also, do you clown on Native Americans for the benefits they receive? How about holocaust survivors? Or is it only blacks you see as begging for a handout?
  • DarcSkies
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    Everyone who is in need of government support should be aided whether they descend from slaves or not. The rightful recipients of reparations are dead and buried and have been for over a century.
    If that's what you believe fine. But dont act like people who believe otherwise are just bat ? insane, psychotic and lazy shiftless ? who simpling dont want to work.

Dont ignore the effects of slavery on black Americans. On YOU.

Its cute to put on a brave face and say, "I got everything I earned through hard work and didnt ask nobody for ? ! I'z a good ? ." Well thats good for you. BUt you just getting a crumb off the table. And your crumb might be bigger than the next black man's. But please stop acting like its not just a crumb. Please stop acting like slavery, reconstruction, Jim Crow arent reasons why you had to work 10x's as hard for the crumb you have when a ? only has to snap his finger. And please dont dismiss that fact with a condescending, "life isnt fair."

Muthafukkas always say 9/11 Never Forget, Holocaust Never Forget, but black Americans? ? and Stop Complaining cuz you didnt know any slaves. Tell a Jew to ? cuz he didnt know any Holocaust survivors and all hell breaks lose.

Deprogram yourself and start giving a ? abot yourself. For the life of me I dont understand why you ? dont think you matter. Why you dont think your history in this country matters.

YOu cant just wish away the past or its effects. So stop acting like you can.
  • DarcSkies
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Again, this isn't about a handout - this is about BACK PAY

Think of it this way...

You work a business for someone else - for free. , Because you're working for someone else, you are unable to get educated. You cannot advance in the business because it's not yours. There's NO WAY for you to get an upperhand at all AND you can't quit. The business booms, the owner makes millions, you don't get a penny, you don't get your time back, you don't even get the benefit of the doubt for the work you've done in creating the business....

Reparations is like getting one big back pay check for the work you done. For the times you could've advanced, but was held back. For the pain, suffering and tireless work....its FAR from a handout...

Also, do you clown on Native Americans for the benefits they receive? How about holocaust survivors? Or is it only blacks you see as begging for a handout?
    YOu forget that all the children you have (and are sometimes forced to have...even the lightskinned one that oddly looks like your bosses....you know..AFTER he sold your wife to another business owner) will be forced to work for the business also. Until he DIES.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

? outta here.

m8390y.gif

Options
    Never say never.

Never usually ends, and always sometimes does.