Mayor Apologizes For 1944 Gang-? Of Black Woman

Options
cobbland
cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Social Lounge
[img]http://cdn1.newsone.com/files/2011/03/Recy-Taylor-90-1944-? -victim-300x198.jpg[/img]
Recy Taylor, 90, is seen her home in Winter Haven, Fla., in this photo taken Thursday, Oct. 7, 2010. Taylor's brutal sexual assault by seven white men in 1944 in the racially divided South is featured in the book "At The Dark End of the Street." (AP)
Mayor Apologizes For 1944 Gang-? Of Black Woman
Written by Associated Press on March 21, 2011 3:35 pm

ABBEVILLE, Alabama — The mayor of a southeast Alabama town and a state legislator are apologizing to relatives of a black woman ? in 1944 by a gang of white men.

Abbeville Mayor Ryan Blalock expressed his sorrow to relatives of Recy Taylor during a news conference today. The woman’s brother and several other relatives attended.

Now 91 years old, Taylor was 24 and living in her native Henry County when she was gang-? in Abbeville in 1944. The married woman was walking home from church when she was abducted, assaulted and left on the side of the road in an isolated area.

Two all-white, all-male grand juries declined to bring charges. State Rep. Dexter Grimsley of Newville says police bungled the investigation and harassed Taylor.

http://newsone.com/nation/associatedpress4/mayor-apologizes-for-1944-gang-? -of-black-woman-by-white-men/
http://hungryblues.net/2011/03/20/possible-apology-to-recy-taylor-for-obstruction-of-justice-in-racist-gang-? /

The Update
This morning in an op-ed at the Anniston Star, I reported that an apology to Recy Taylor may be forthcoming soon from the city of Abbeville and Henry County, AL.

Last Wednesday, I reported for Colorlines.com that state Rep. Dexter Grimsley, D-Newville, wants Alabama to issue a formal state apology to Recy Taylor, 91, who was abducted and ? at gunpoint by seven white men in Abbeville on Sept. 3, 1944.

“The circumstances merit it,” Grimsley said recently. “It’s something that should be done. Recy Taylor found herself in a situation that wasn’t responded to, the way that the law would respond to something today.”

Now it appears that an apology from Henry County and the southeast Alabama city of Abbeville may come as soon as Monday, but it is unclear whether the state will take part. In a follow-up interview last Thursday, Rep. Grimsley said he would hold a press conference with Abbeville Mayor Ryan Blalock and County Commission Chairman Joanne Smith and “present a formal letter to the family.”

Asked if the apology would also be on behalf of the state, Grimsley said, “We haven’t addressed that level yet.”

Henry County Public Information Officer Chad Sowell has told me on the phone that there will be a press conference tomorrow, Monday, March 21, 10:30 am Central Time, at the Henry County Courthouse.

Officials scheduled to be there are Alabama State House Representative Dexter Grimsley, Mayor Ryan Blalock and members of the Abbeville City Council.

Whether an apology will be issued to Recy Taylor tomorrow has not been verified. Abbeville Mayor Ryan Blalock and Alabama Representative Dexter Grimsley have asked Recy Taylor’s brother Robert Corbitt to attend the press conference, and he has told me that he plans to be there.

Margaret Burnham stated the importance of an apology.

“Clearly there should be an apology from the state here as well as the county,” said Professor Margaret Burnham, director of the Civil Rights and Restorative Justice Program at Northeastern University School of Law. “Each failed to pursue the investigation aggressively and promptly, and more generally afforded utter impunity to white men who ? black women. Such a statement would not only honor Recy Taylor and her family for their courage and tenacity in seeking justice, but it would speak to scores of victims who similarly suffered in silence.”

Other Questions
Even if Recy Taylor gets her due from Alabama officials, many questions remain about how countless other cases of decades old racially motivated rapes will be addressed. There are some states where the FBI could play a role.

The FBI’s role
Though Alabama and five other Southern states have no statute of limitations on ? , only civil rights-era homicides of African Americans — mostly of men — have commanded the official attention of the FBI and other federal and state officials.

The six Southern, formerly segregated states with no statute of limitations on the crime of ? are: Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina.

Yet, local police and county sheriffs rarely have the staff or the budgets to conduct such investigations. Further, officials in small communities may lack motivation because they would be investigating their own relatives or the politically powerful.

When it comes to decades-old racially motivated deaths, the FBI can investigate cases even when there is no federal jurisdiction. The Emmett Till Unsolved Civil Rights Crimes Act of 2008 directs the FBI to investigate and do community outreach with the express purpose of supporting or encouraging state and local action.

Asked if the FBI could play a similar role in addressing decades-old racially motivated rapes, FBI spokesman Christopher Allen said, “The public is always welcome to report an allegation of a crime to their local FBI office, where it will be reviewed to determine if a federal violation exists.”

No special consideration would be made. “We would handle [it] as we do every other allegation of a crime: on its own merits,” Allen said.

Testimony of black women
In an e-mail interview, Professor McGuire says her research “covers about 64 cases of white on black ? from 1940 to 1975 and is not exhaustive in any way.

“I found black women’s testimonies of sexual violence everywhere I looked.”

Does Professor Burnham think the Department of Justice ought to address civil-rights era, racially motivated rapes in states like Alabama?

“The Emmett Till Act itself only covers murders,” Burnham said. “But the animating spirit of the act is to encourage law enforcement and courts to redress the racial wrongs that locked black crime victims out of the justice system during the mid-20th century. Certainly, if opportunities for prosecution remain open, the Justice Department should play a role.”

Comments

• Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    this ? me off. its time to hold these old ass white people accountable for the atrocities they placed upon our peoples. Yeah i know this is ignorant to say, but i dont like old white people from the south because they were the ones. them. they were the reason and now they hiding like they didnt do nothin and it was just the way it was back then. i hate it.

slavery was bad enough, but what came after slavery was really knife in the back. we caught hell from all angles. tortured. bullied. spat on. had rocks threw at. ? . denied the right to live as an american. we were hung/hanged. burned. blew up. had bombs dropped on us from air planes (tulsa). we were emmit tilled. we were medgar evers'ed. malcolm X'ed. MLK'ed. The people who put it on us are still walking amongst us. they still passed down their hate to their younger generations. Thats why racism isnt dead and still here. Because of old white people.

this sucks. Thanks america. Thanks for fighting for the right to free yourself from great britian all while keeping ? slaves. It was embarrassing then and embarrassing now.
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Way too late for an apology.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Now THIS was a gang ? . Not some ? ass high school ? .

I see you ? aint in here screaming and ranting about this ? .

...Maybe if the rapists were black it would have been more of an outrage to you. ? ? .
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I don't know about yall but I wanted more details of said ?
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    this ? me off. its time to hold these old ass white people accountable for the atrocities they placed upon our peoples. Yeah i know this is ignorant to say, but i dont like old white people from the south because they were the ones. them. they were the reason and now they hiding like they didnt do nothin and it was just the way it was back then. i hate it.

slavery was bad enough, but what came after slavery was really knife in the back. we caught hell from all angles. tortured. bullied. spat on. had rocks threw at. ? . denied the right to live as an american. we were hung/hanged. burned. blew up. had bombs dropped on us from air planes (tulsa). we were emmit tilled. we were medgar evers'ed. malcolm X'ed. MLK'ed. The people who put it on us are still walking amongst us. they still passed down their hate to their younger generations. Thats why racism isnt dead and still here. Because of old white people.

this sucks. Thanks america. Thanks for fighting for the right to free yourself from great britian all while keeping ? slaves. It was embarrassing then and embarrassing now.

I've sent and am sending the following to many blogs, forums, and news outlets:

To whom it may concern, search engine: Recy Taylor

Alabama leaders apologize for handling of 1944 ?

By Bob Johnson, Associated Press – 21 Mar 2011

ABBEVILLE, Ala. – Nearly 70 years after Recy Taylor was ? by a gang of white men, leaders of the rural southeast Alabama community where it happened apologized Monday, acknowledging that her attackers escaped prosecution because of racism and an investigation bungled by police.

"It is apparent that the system failed you in 1944," Henry County probate judge and commission chairwoman JoAnn Smith told several of Taylor's relatives at a news conference at the county courthouse.
    Taylor, 91, lives in Florida and did not attend the news conference. ......... end quote

Terrible terrible crime. Six no good WHITE men gang ? BLACK woman and are not convicted.

Never spend a day in jail. Whole state of Alabama should apologize to her. Groveling in order.

White men are plainly devils in the flesh. Castration of all white men considered.

Recently released book At the Dark End of the Street by Danielle L. McGuire has galvanized the black internet community and white liberals and feminist.

http://atthedarkendofthestreet.com/blog/great-response-so-far/

Don't know yet if Jesse, Sharpton, Quanell X and/or Obama himself will or will not
    call for the conviction of the vile ninety year old still living ? .

..... JUSTICE MUST BE DONE !!!! ......====================================================

& BTW - From: MAKES ME WANNA HOLLER

by Nathan McCall Published 1995 pages 44-45

"Different groups of guys set up their own trains.

Although everybody knew it could lead to trouble with the law, I think few guys thought of it as ? . It was viewed as a social thing among hanging partners, like passing a joint. The dude who set up the train got pats on the back. He was considered a real player whose rap game was strong.

I think most girls gave in when trains were sprung on them because they went into shock. They were so utterly unprepared for anything that wild that it freaked them out. By the time they realized that they'd been set up, they were stripped naked, lying on a bed or in the backseat of a car, with a crowd of crazed-looking dudes hovering overhead.

I always wondered what went on inside girls' heads when that was happening to them.

They knew that if they snitched to the cops, the thing would become public news

and their name would be mud.

But every now and then, some chick squealed, and somebody caught a charge.

Then guys got their buddies to go to court and testify that the girl

was a footloose ‘? ’ whom they each had ? .

Most girls seemed to lose something vital inside after they'd been trained. Their self-esteem dropped and they didn't care about themselves anymore. That happened to a girl named Shirley, who was once trained by Scobe and so many other guys that she was hospitalized.
    After that, I guess she figured nobody wanted her as a straight-up girl.

So Shirley let guys run trains on her all the time. ……

pages 49-50
    That train on Vanessa was definitely a turning point for most of us. We weren't aware of what it symbolized at the time, but that train marked our real coming together as a gang. It certified us as a group of hanging partners who would do anything and everything together. It sealed our bond in the same way some other guys consummated their alliances by rumbling together in gang wars against downtown boys. In doing so, we served notice ‑ mostly to ourselves ‑ that we were a group of up‑and‑coming young cats with a distinct identity in a specific portion of Cavalier Manor that we intended to stake out as own.

After that first train, we perfected the art of luring babes into those kinds traps.

We ran a train at my house when my parents were away. We ran many at ? 's crib because both his parents worked And we set up one at Lep's place and even let his little brother get in on it. He couldn't have been more than eight or nine. He probably didn't even have a sex drive yet. He was just imitating what he saw us do, in the same way we copied older hoods we admired. …….. End quote

Author Nathan McCall is a college professor and has a website
    This book was widely reviewed around 1995.

=============================

markee 2010: "Personally i'd like to see that surviving ? bag ? bought to justice could'nt care less how old he is let him rot. He's gotten away with his crimes all this time let the devil be bought to justice to face the music." .........

.......... in response to "markee 2010": sent to TheGrio 23 March 2011

FYI - Nathan McCall in MAKES ME WANNA HOLLER confesses to his personal participation
    in many [like 30 or 40 or so] premeditated gang rapes of young black women.

This book was published in 1995 and reviewed by many newspapers.
    He is currently a Prof at Emory University and has a web site.
    His personal history book can be bought at Amazon.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    smmfh, if any of these crackas still alive they need to be punished accordingly.

to prewett if they were black i'd want the same thing so gtfoh, u ? honkeys all need to die always tryna distract from the truth
  • John Prewett
    edited March 2011
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    smmfh,
    if any of these crackas still alive they need to be punished accordingly.

to prewett if they were black i'd want the same thing

so gtfoh, u ? honkeys all need to die always tryna distract from the truth

Either you are a plain liar/racist bigot [most likely],

or you were to lazy to read the bottom half of my post,

or your reading comprehension is so dismal you could not understand the bottom half of my post.

Nathan McCall is "still alive" and,

he confessed/revealed/claimed that he PERSONALLY PARTICIPATED

in numerous premeditated gang rapes of black women.

Do you want him punished accordingly ?

Or does he get off scott free cause he wasn't a "? " ?
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited March 2011
    Options
    smh...& whitez n emerica wonda y alot of blkz dont like they devil azz...
  • zoepian
    zoepian Members Posts: 991
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »

co sign

its a sad story none the less... she lived with this on her conscious all these years and she is now gettin an aplogy.. that shoulda been due since 1965.. at least the 80's... i guess some ppl were being protected.. and only one of em criminals are still alive.. nothing we can do about the past but learn from it.. nobody will be brought to justice.. i jus look at the lady's face and i feel her pain.. Alabama should punish the people in charge of the country at the time for the crimes if they are still alive..
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Either you are a plain liar/racist bigot [most likely],

or you were to lazy to read the bottom half of my post,

or your reading comprehension is so dismal you could not understand the bottom half of my post.

Nathan McCall is "still alive" and,

he confessed/revealed/claimed that he PERSONALLY PARTICIPATED

in numerous premeditated gang rapes of black women.

Do you want him punished accordingly ?

Or does he get off scott free cause he wasn't a "? " ?

r u daft? I know equal treatment when it comes to race is not in the "mans" vocabular.

But get this straight any man who rapes a woman is a ? .

So yeah nathan mcall should be punished and i hope he burns in hell
  • MICHAEL-V.I.
    MICHAEL-V.I. Members Posts: 1,898 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    [img]http://cdn1.newsone.com/files/2011/03/Recy-Taylor-90-1944-? -victim-300x198.jpg[/img]

Recy Taylor, 90, is seen her home in Winter Haven, Fla., in this photo taken Thursday, Oct. 7, 2010. Taylor's brutal sexual assault by seven white men in 1944 in the racially divided South is featured in the book

"At The Dark End of the Street." (AP)

? ...
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Sorry bout that ? there.
    ... Um yah i guess its noble in one sense and one only; that they are acknowledging that it took place..

But ? an apology nearly i lifetime after the fact. If they find any of the "Thugs" alive they should be slaughtered
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Prewitt, you're becoming very "Hey Slickian" in your posts these days....

Stay on this topic...don't play the "Ya'll do it, so its okay" routine, because no one is arguing that....

This is disgusting and quite obvious that these hicks have no soul. Let's not pretend they didn't have kids either that they have taught the ways of the "? "
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Notice how the sick pedophilic reptillian devil tried to derail this thread with some off-topic ramblings??

Rather than show empathy for a Black woman who was brutally gang-? and cheated out of justice when her brutalizers were exonerated by white devils; this sick beast is quoting chapters from a book and saying "Look you ni99ers do it to".

There is no reforming these people.
  • zoepian
    zoepian Members Posts: 991
    edited March 2011
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Notice how the sick pedophilic reptillian devil tried to derail this thread with some off-topic ramblings??

Rather than show empathy for a Black woman who was brutally gang-? and cheated out of justice when her brutalizers were exonerated by white devils; this sick beast is quoting chapters from a book and saying "Look you ni99ers do it to".

co sign.. i dont usually come on here or talk to him.. but its always the same wen i do
  • John Prewett
    edited March 2011
    Options
    gns wrote: »

............. any man who rapes a woman is a ? .

So yeah nathan mcall should be punished and i hope he burns in hell

I appreciate your direct answer to the question.

I don't hope for the eternal damnation of anyone.

"All have sinned" and I would hope all would repent, be converted and saved.
  • John Prewett
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Sorry bout that ? there.
    ... Um yah i guess its noble in one sense and one only; that they are acknowledging that it took place..

But ? an apology nearly i lifetime after the fact. If they find any of the "Thugs" alive they should be slaughtered

Should that also be the fate of Nathan McCall who participated in the gang ? of many young women ? [black young women, btw]
  • John Prewett
    edited March 2011
    Options
    edeeesq wrote: »
    Prewitt, you're becoming very "Hey Slickian" in your posts these days....

Stay on this topic...don't play the "Ya'll do it, so its okay" routine, because no one is arguing that....

This is disgusting and quite obvious that these hicks have no soul.
    Let's not pretend they didn't have kids either that they have taught the ways of the "? "

No. It wasn't OK for the white men to do it, ........ and it's equally not OK for black men like Nathan McCall to do it.
  • John Prewett
    edited March 2011
    Options

Rather than show empathy for a Black woman who was brutally gang-? and cheated out of justice when her brutalizers were exonerated by white devils;
    this sick beast is quoting chapters from a book and saying "Look you ni99ers do it to".

I have empathy for Recy Taylor AND for the MANY black women gang ? by Nathan McCall and his gang of ? .

Why do you give Nathan McCall a pass ?
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I have empathy for Recy Taylor AND for the MANY black women gang ? by Nathan McCall and his gang of ? .

Why do you give Nathan McCall a pass ?

Can you stay on topic according to the thread???

Every time one of you devlish caucasions see us communicating you seek to disrupt us with your tricknolgy and wickedness.
  • John Prewett
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Can you stay on topic according to the thread???

Every time one of you devlish caucasions see us communicating you seek to disrupt us with your tricknolgy and wickedness.

Your currently the devlish one. Currently you think gang ? is fine and dandy long as the ? are black. Rap, go off by yourself and ask Jesus for help in the mind. It's your only chance.

[hey, me and millions of others had to do it and continue to have to do it every day !]
  • John Prewett
    edited March 2011
    Options
    To all: the figures slick presented are in PERFECT AGREEMENT with MAKES ME WANNA HOLLER by Nathan McCall. Perfect harmony. Jesus is the only way to be rid of the anger/guilt.
  • gee757
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Your currently the devlish one. Currently you think gang ? is fine and dandy long as the ? are black. Rap, go off by yourself and ask Jesus for help in the mind. It's your only chance.

[hey, me and millions of others had to do it and continue to have to do it every day !]

u r da devil all u need is hornz on ya damn forehead smh..
    heyslick wrote: »
    IMO

It really doesn't matter......whether them numbers statistics jive. The video I posted pretty much sums it all up. I've stated this before there's A thin line between Love and hate & the truth will set you free. If black people insist on wallowing in self pity and blaming the white race for ALL OF THEIR PROBLEMS....so be it

? yall white devilz is da reason y blkz is n N. Emerica as 2nd CLASS CITIZENZ!
  • gee757
    edited March 2011
    Options
    YEAH! IT'S ALWAYS someone else that causes your problems...and you got a chip on your shoulder and slavery on your sleeve...why don't you go and tell the pastor the same ? you just spewed to me.

smh just like a devil u dont wanna accept ? if u dont think slavery aint still effectin us blkz now n WHITE EMERICA ya a FOOL! yall TERRORISTZ(whitez) have da system set up fa blkz 2 fail n WHITE EMERICA...
  • gee757
    edited March 2011
    Options
    OK I'm the blue eyed devil and your the perfect human being.....so how I am oppressing you? I don't hold any power,how come my so-called white privilege don't get me any better prices at the gas pump OR at the grocery store? How come you can malign me as if I'm your enemy and I haven't done anything to you....EVER but show my fellow brother the same respect I would like from him. BUT NO THAT AIN'T happening.....you get on here spewing nothing but resentment and anger towards anyone who dares to want some civil debate. Is this the way you talk to white people in the real world?

lol this is da net so im not mad fa real but i just dont like how u come off sum timez u act as if blkz n WHITE EMERICA dont have da rite 2 b upset wit white people n emerica especially hearin & knowin storiez like this thread this story provez that therr is such a thang call;d WHITE PRIVILEGEZ n WHITE EMERICA...