Has The African American Woman Bought Into The Media's Definition of Beauty?

Options
aijalon
aijalon Members Posts: 919
edited March 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
As I pose this question which legitimately interests me I am forced to think that the definition of a "Beautiful Black Woman" has been redefined and that the African American community (particularly the women) have bought into the concept. Please forgive my generalization as this merely serves to stimulate conversations. I am in no way insinuating that all Black women have been led like sheep to the slaughter but that the media has seemingly gained the upper hand in terms of the current depiction of what it is that makes a Black woman beautiful.

In my humble and irrelevant opinion the media has painted the African American woman in two lights: Aunt Jemima (A la Oprah) of the desired depiction aka Halle Berry. It would seem that the portrayal of an African American woman in the role of a desirable character is unavailable to the voluptuous figure which is more representative of the majority of African American women.

A list of actresses
Queen Latifah
Loretta Devine

On the other hand
Halle Berry
Jada Pinkett

Comments

• Razah Cutz
    Razah Cutz Members Posts: 800
    edited March 2011
    Options
    if by "media" you mean "white man's", than yeah....a lot of them have...look at all the sadness we have going on today; skin bleaching...perming of the hair, starving themselves to be thin...it's insane....
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Here we go again.
  • akomax
    akomax Members Posts: 483 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    JAda pinket >>>>>>>> loreta divine
    hally berry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> queen latifah
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Tyra Banks is the real. She run ? and Black women have a platform to a degree thanks to her. Tyra Banks is the ? in that regard. Plus she sent a friend request on myspace years ago. :-)
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    a natural black woman is beauty to me. she may be mentally on that ? , but if she aint got no perm or a weave, im open to her convo.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Who gives a ? !?!?!
  • aijalon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Who gives a ? !?!?!

Obviously not you.
    Thanks for so eloquently expressing your opinion though
  • #1 pick
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Who gives a ? !?!?!

U sound salty ma
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited March 2011
    Options
    #1 pick wrote: »
    U sound salty ma

What I got to be salty about?
  • #1 pick
    edited March 2011
    Options
    What I got to be salty about?

Just sayin'
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Just sayin'

yea ok....................
  • #1 pick
    edited March 2011
    Options
    yea ok....................

umm... Yo, where u from Pico?
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    black people the world over been fell for this.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ? I hope so. Cuz yall be out here lookin rough!
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited March 2011
    Options
    umm... Yo, where u from Pico?

Los Angeles, C.A.
  • Dainty
    Dainty Members Posts: 2,203
    edited March 2011
    Options
    why did you use loretta divine and oprah as examples? they're ugly.

I think other races buy into the media's definition of beauty too it's not just black women.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    a natural black woman is beauty to me. she may be mentally on that ? , but if she aint got no perm or a weave, im open to her convo.

As long as she's natural you welcome her BS? Makes much sense.
  • #1 pick
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Los Angeles, C.A.

Word, that's like a world away from where I am at
  • aijalon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Dainty wrote: »
    why did you use loretta divine and oprah as examples? they're ugly.

I think other races buy into the media's definition of beauty too it's not just black women.

The aunt Jemima concept.
    Loretta Divine has been type cast in those roles. Never playing the lead. Always the ugly friend.
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I would hope so. ? runnin' around lookin' like them national geographic ? . ? ain't sexy. Black women not straightening their hair is like not using electricity. The technology is there to improve yo' life...? USE IT! ? with steel wool on they hair and ? . That's why I only ? with light skinned broads.
  • bmoreeast
    bmoreeast Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    aijalon wrote: »
    As I pose this question which legitimately interests me I am forced to think that the definition of a "Beautiful Black Woman" has been redefined and that the African American community (particularly the women) have bought into the concept. Please forgive my generalization as this merely serves to stimulate conversations. I am in no way insinuating that all Black women have been led like sheep to the slaughter but that the media has seemingly gained the upper hand in terms of the current depiction of what it is that makes a Black woman beautiful.

In my humble and irrelevant opinion the media has painted the African American woman in two lights: Aunt Jemima (A la Oprah) of the desired depiction aka Halle Berry. It would seem that the portrayal of an African American woman in the role of a desirable character is unavailable to the voluptuous figure which is more representative of the majority of African American women.

A list of actresses
    Queen Latifah
    Loretta Devine

On the other hand
    Halle Berry
    Jada Pinkett

The examples that you listed wouldnt necessarily just be the european definition but ppl everywhere's definition of beauty.
    I do think that alot of ppl fall for the Hollywood definition of beauty as in skinny, lil butt, big breasted women.
    Look at Lil Kim i thought she was the prettiest lil thing when she came out, then she went Hollywood and got her face and breast done and now she's a ? mess.
  • aijalon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    so are you saying hollywood isn't more open to beautiful, larger black women? cuz it seems to me that's an issue more about weight and size than it is about skin colour. larger people, esp women don't get much love in the media. when the last time you see a chick that looked like rosie o'donnell get a role as a leading lady?

not really related, but black chicks are not the only ones out here straightening (non-chemically) their hair. a lot of women white/black whatever with curly hair often blow dry/iron their hair straight. while i'm not saying there aren't preconceived standards of beauty which are negative, i don't think it's as pervasive as some make it seem. it's not just black women, but all women that have to deal with standards of beauty. and as far as hollywood is concerned, fat/big/voluptuousness, whatever you wanna call it, is not appealing or what they're gonna put out there

given that more than half the population is overweight or obese, being larger and the stigma that comes with it, is not an issue that only black women have. just my .02

Thank your for injecting your opinion. I was speaking more in contexts of the definition of a beautiful woman. Not necessarily in terms of weight as much as the traditional "white" image of beauty which I feel has been injected into the psyche of the masses. My mention of the overweight women was in the context of them being the Aunt Jemima type characters which the media is comfortable with.

Maybe a more appropriate case would be that of Kimber Elise. An absolutely wonderful actress who is well endowed in the posterior. Not necessarily a big girl but does not fit within the contexts of what Hollywood/media defines as beauty thus she has not garnered as much success as the likes of a pancake rear ended Jada Pinkett or a Halle Berry.
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited March 2011
    Options
    White folk love Naomi Campbell...........
  • aijalon
    edited March 2011
    Options
    White folk love Naomi Campbell...........

Thanks for "Giving a ? "
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited March 2011
    Options
    aijalon wrote: »
    Thanks for "Giving a ? "
    I still dont give a ? , just entertaining the thread cause im bored smart ass