Forget about T-mac for a second Lets Talk about Steve Francis !!!!!!

Options
Knightryder
Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
i know some people knew the story, but they were alot of people who didn't and wondered what the hell happen to this dude, it almost seemed like he vanished into thin air.....

anyway heres a article i found,
http://www.slamonline.com/online/the-magazine/features/2010/08/wheres-the-love/

i quoted the most important part, where steve admits that his ego and van gundy taking over as the head coach, was the beginning of the the end for his career

Steve concedes. He finally relinquishes the truth: Both the Houston Rockets and his own ego play huge roles in him being inactive today. It began with Jeff Van Gundy replacing Rudy Tomjanovich as the Rockets’ head coach in ’03. Van Gundy quickly replaced Francis as the team’s offensive focus in favor of Yao Ming. Francis’ freestyling, run-and-gun game was of no interest to Van Gundy, and after a season of PG/coach head-butting, Steve-O was traded to Orlando. Though rough for him at first, Disney World became home to his second-best statistical season (21.3 points, 7 assists, 5.8 rebounds). In the middle of the ‘05-06 season, Steve was bounced to the Knicks, into the middle of the Larry Brown nightmare. In ’07, Francis found himself back on a Rick Adelman-navigated Rockets team. “They ain’t start me [and] that rubbed me the wrong way,” says Steve through a jaw full of shaving cream. “I’m playing behind a guy that wasn’t drafted—Skip To My Lou. You can’t put a three-time All-Star on your bench. So [I decided] if I’m getting x-amount of dollars, I’ma fall back and just get my money for my kids.”

While the Rockets won 55 games, No. 3 wasn’t exactly looking his strongest. In December of ’07, Francis suffered a knee sprain, then went through a bout with the flu. As soon as he was germless, he tore his quadriceps, requiring season-ending surgery. With speedy rookie Aaron Brooks shaping into a floor general for the future, the Rockets shipped Steve’s rights to Memphis. The Grizz had as little interest in the aged Stevie Wonder as the Rockets. Just like they would bench another past-prime little man known for his huge game a year later, Steve had to compete against the team’s youth investments—Mike Conley and Kyle Lowry.

Standing over Steve listening in, Nate adds his two cents: “Why should he have to prove himself to an organization that’s not winning but gonna put guys in front of him that haven’t proven themselves?” The client-agent tag team. “If you bring your product to the table and they don’t respect your product, you gotta go in a different direction,” says Francis, who notes that Nate negotiated a healthy buy-out from Memphis. “I got a bag [of money] from ‘em. I’m not gonna be ? out by nobody.

seeing the likes of Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury and Allen Iverson, (players with similar issues )

as crazy as this question might sound,

Who players do u get a vibe from right now in the nba, that if they dont change there ways they can possibly end up,not playing in the NBA no more while they still have potential and alot to offer?

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i know some people knew the story, but they were alot of people who didn't and wondered what the hell happen to this dude, it almost seemed like he vanished into thin air.....

i quoted the most important part, where steve admits that his ego and van gundy taking over as the head coach, was the beginning of the the end for his career

seeing the likes of Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury and Allen Iverson, (players with similar issues )

as crazy as this question might sound, Who players do u get a vibe from right now in the nba, that if they dont change there ways they can possibly end up,not being in the NBA while they still have potential and alot to offer......

Derrick Rose type players before.. Derrick rose.. accept he has his head on straight
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I seen Steve at the House on Georgia Ave like a year ago. He was in there throwning money like he was still in the league.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

as crazy as this question might sound,

Who players do u get a vibe from right now in the nba, that if they dont change there ways they can possibly end up,not playing in the NBA no more while they still have potential and alot to offer?

steve came into the league a ? though
    he couldnt get his way took the ball and went home.
    ? up ? with ? like him is they over estimate their worth.
    he was easily replaceable and now hes tryin to make it sound like he wasnt the problem.
    obviously he had to prove himself in new systems and failed to do so
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    this dude had the skills to become a great pg. he was one of my fav. players growing. i remember when van gundy came in and toned down his play for the betterment of the team. steve wasn't going 4 that ? , cuz he was worried about his stats, smh. he went from 20+ ppg to 16.6. yeah, it was low 4 him, but the rockets made the playoffs. that's what really matters at the end of the days: WINS. he was one of those players that cared about stats than actually winning games and being successful.
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    what about him?
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    last i seen him he was playing overseas with bags of ice taped to his ankles
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    He should of stayed his ass at Maryland. smh
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    francis.jpg

• Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    marbury chose to go to china, francis suffered some injuries, and AI just wasn't good anymore....it wasn't like they were ran out of the league
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    francis.jpg

almost thought it was the same ?

? ass ?
  • Knightryder
    edited March 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    marbury chose to go to china, francis suffered some injuries, and AI just wasn't good anymore....it wasn't like they were ran out of the league

Ego's ? ,

its there Ego's
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Ego's ? , its there Ego's that caused them to end up like this

i think alot of it had to do with diminishing skills.
  • Uncle Kingpin
    Uncle Kingpin Members Posts: 241
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Steve Francis is my homeboy, i went to maryland after he went into the league but he still came thru and ? with the same circle of snow bunnies i did. We became cool, his bday party at 2k9 in DC was off the hook. Four foot high bottles of moet with 2 midgets pouring each bottle. LOL. He's a real sensitive dude,not in a ? way, but sensitive in that he let emotions get in the way of NBA business. He took things personal, held grudges, and wasn't able to be phony and shake hands and make up when he got done ? . He's rich off his contracts just like Tmac and Grant Hill so dont feel bad for him unless he pulls an Antoine Walker. A shame tho cuz he had the talent to be legendary, I just don't think he surrounded himself with anything but yes men, instead of real friends that would check him.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    one of my favorite players too watch growing up. Dude had a great handle and could finish with the best of them not to mention he was an above average passer but when you never learn how to shoot and athleticism gets taken away your pretty much finished.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »

Ai just didn't stop being good.. he refused to amend his game; and his focused waned
  • jjswipe
    jjswipe Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2hLD0PmH8u-N8YTyeF3XFI74nvaw7HVRrvoEPv0pqL4jRigdNTA
  • jjswipe
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Once they broke that batti boi ? up, that ? was done
  • jjswipe
    edited March 2011
    Options
    But that ? was a beast. One of the best slam dunk contest participants not named vince carter,. A 3 time all star, and the ? even had his own nickname!!!! But after they traded his "boy", that ? took it way way waaay too close to heart, and he was never the same

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYfqND5LjvQspjybtcxvJ6ZVtoKSbJblYHHgmxzmwKGHLouUdv
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    first time i seen dude play i was amazed...he broke the rim in a game at the kenner league and nobody on the court could guard him
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    If crossing ? counted for 2 points Franchise woulda been a superstar.
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I loss respect for him when he pouted on draft night cuz the Grizzles picked him. ? u knew Elton Brand was going no.1. You got a 100 dreaming to be in your position but he mad cuz the Grizzles drafted him. Havent been a fan since.
  • Knightryder
    Options
    jjswipe wrote: »
    Once they broke that batti boi ? up, that ? was done

Lol hilarious ?
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's crazy how pgs like Francis and marbury were asked to tone their game down but today shoot first point guard s ate what's cool. They came in the league at the wring time. Today they would be the rose Westbrook lillards juries and have the ultimate green light crazy how timing works
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He held his.own in that dunk contest with t mac and vince
  • fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Forget about tmac. That "friendship" franchise and cuttino mobley had was on some other ? .

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8151707

Filling each other sentences, 3 hour lunches, going to the club together and ignoring everybody in there ...