Crime and punishment, when does the punishment become a crime?

Options
Huruma
Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
Maybe prison should be replaced by community service, agreed upon restitution to the victims, house arrest and/or forced entry into psychiatric institutions that don't segregate criminals from the general population. This would still involve coercion but the focus would be on deterrence and rehabilitation, not punishment. I don't think there's any evidence that prison does a good job in relieving violent or anti-social impulses. I don't know about the U.S but in the U.K and Canada, some prisons have recidivism rates as high as 70-100% (it's especially high for young offenders).

Prisons have three times more mentally ill persons than psychiatric hospitals do and the prison experience only exacerbates mental health problems (including post traumatic stress disorder due to living in such a chaotic, crowded environment). On a scale of 1-30, the general population scores an average of 5 for psychopathy, male prisoners score an average of 22 and female prisoners score an average of 19. Psychopathy is a *medical* condition (psychopathy is characterized by impulsivity, cortical under-arousal and fearlessness which leads to high risk taking and the inability to internalize social norms, 'sociopaths' are temperamentally normal) Poor people and people of color are disproportionally represented in the prison population which refutes the idea that a decision to behave criminally exists in a vacuum, is entirely independent of social and economic circumstances and is purely a matter of choice, even if you do take the idea of 'free will' seriously.

Comments

• Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    the death penalty should be a crime since its the law you cant ? nobody but a judge can...............makes no sense whatsoever

and i didnt read all that ? either
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Bruh I see you trying to invoke discussions but you need to put pictures in the ? to catch ? attention or post this type ? in the Social Lounge. Can't be googling word all day. Especially if the topic des not interest me. No diss though.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I'm not big on the rights of violent criminals, or child(newborn- 15yrs for sure) rapers so anything you do to them is fair game, personally I'd like to see hard labor brought back. But punishment becomes a crime when the ? is not equal. Like when you get x amount of time for pure ? and y amount of time for ? and and y>x when ? is worth less than ? but a certain group of people is going to have so you use it as a method to target them. That's a crime. As well as lendsay lohan still being free. That's a crime. ? just has to be uniform.
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    they should get rid of the death pentalty
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    JadaRoss wrote: »
    they should get rid of the death pentalty

Death is the easy way out. Give those crazy muthafuckaz life.
  • akomax
    akomax Members Posts: 483 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    go straight to the point ...
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    akomax wrote: »
    go straight to the point ...

Should prison be eliminated in favor of house arrest, psychiatric/neurological treatment, community service and/or other creative alternatives?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    Should prison be eliminated in favor of house arrest, psychiatric/neurological treatment, community service and/or other creative alternatives?

no...plain and simple...some ? NEED to be in prison...oh and so you know prison was never really about rehabilitation despite what you think..it's ALWAYS been about punishment...just read about the country's first prisons and what they did that led to originally having any type of solitary confinement outlawed as torture
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    no...plain and simple...some ? NEED to be in prison

yea some actually do.........