Official Mortal Kombat 9 Thread [PS3/360]

Options

Comments

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited April 2011
    Options
    LOL that's crazy some dudes already beat the challenge tower.

Some stage fatalities:

Kratos' arena fatality:

LOL @ being able to choose 3 ways of murking dudes.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited April 2011
    Options
    MK has really stepped it up this go 'round, though. Only gripe I have right now (after playing the demo) is the controls. Mortal Kombat is typically for people who don't like/want to get DEEP into a fighting game.... nevertheless, I don't see the reason why players are forced to treat a game like a school exam. Learning new ? and mastering your character is cool.... but if you can't pick up a game, play it, and have fun right away....it really takes away from the experience. Each person having ten to fifteen 3-hit combos is pretty annoying. But other than that, this looks pretty amazing. Tekken and Street Fighter taking over the fighting game scene has really forced MK to step their game up.

The thing with MvsC3 is that it did get old quickly for me - other than online/multi-player play, that is. Otherwise, offline, there's not much else to do other than learn combos in Mission mode. Unlocking all characters in a matter of hours gives off an anti-climatic, pre-mature ending to a game you thought had more in store. I don't care for unlockable titles and logos, other than to build up my trophy collection.

MK9's 300 mission challenge tower is gonna keep me busy. AND with an 8-player online spectator-implement lobby....I think the online mode is gonna ? too. This game will go hard as ? . What do people use the Wii for again?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ^
    very true. MK looks to be a great SP experience.
  • intalect
    intalect Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    this receipt for my game is burning a hole in my wallet damn i can't wait for tonight i'm leavin' work early to get my copy at midnight
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    this game is the truth "got my copy early thanks Sony" the story mode is the best, starts off as mk1 to mk2 to mk3 etc "if u know the history u will understand", only thing i didnt like is that some moves r not like the original but its WAYYYY better then MVC3, replay value is HIGH, off or online btw....shao kahn is not to be ? wit
  • Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Jamal!! 3 hours til showdown sucker!!! imma fight sleep to beat ur ass sun
  • earth two superman
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ill be getting mine after work tomorrow, but probably wont really play it till after the celtics win game 2
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    lol I got 120 bones store credit at gamestop, I think Im gonna wait till price drop or see what the fighting game community thinks of it

I already know its gonna get great reviews from the big websites and the single player should be great

But I like playing against other people, have to wait a couple weeks to see if it gets the green light from the community
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    PDP creates the definitive arcade experience for fans of the series, competitive players, and collectors.

This year, Mortal Kombat returns to its violent, 2D fighting game roots with the ninth installment in its nearly 20-year history, aptly dubbed Mortal Kombat. To celebrate the game's rich lineage and its new beginnings, developer NetherRealm Studios enlisted the help of PDP to craft the first official Mortal Kombat fighting stick, which recalls the franchise's original arcade cabinets with its wood framework, competition-grade components, and officially licensed art.

mortal-kombat-fight-stick-20110418083225516-000.jpg

Priced at $129.99 individually and $149.99 when bundled with the game, the Mortal Kombat Fight Stick is competitively priced and geared toward collectors, fans of the franchise, and fighting game purists, but casual players may have a hard time wrapping their heads around the cost and the added living room clutter.

For those with the appropriate level of interest and expendable income, however, the Mortal Kombat Fight Stick is just about as good as it gets.

In terms of build materials, the Mortal Kombat Fight Stick strays away from the plastic casing used by most competing arcade sticks, and instead uses wooden framework. Though this certainly adds more weight to design, PDP did a great job of offsetting the impact on the user through balanced distribution and soft padding on the bottom panel. It is also considerably taller than other fighting sticks, which makes storage a little more difficult, but gives players the benefit of having large, angled gaming surface and some extra storage capacity via the flip-up panel.

Take a Closer Look at the Mortal Kombat Fight Stick

Though the storage compartment is good for storing two or three games or a USB memory stick with your profile on it, it isn't large enough to accommodate a full-sized controller, due primarily to the clear plastic casing that shows off and protects the wiring and components of the joystick and buttons. Of course, adding more storage capacity would have also added more weight and bulk.

The only other issue I found with the flip-up compartment was the latching mechanism, which can be unnecessarily difficult to open. Though you slide it to the open position, it's sometimes tricky to know when it's finally released the lid. It's hardly enough to call a critical issue, but definitely worth noting.

Instead of using a hardwired USB cable, PDP was wise to use a USB to mini USB cable, which allows you to easily remove and store the cable.

After I published my initial hands-on, many IGN users complained about the device's lack of wireless support, but since fighting sticks are inherently geared toward the competitive community, wired solutions are preferred to avoid latency issues.

mortal-kombat-fight-stick-20110418083304498-000.jpg

To that end, the Mortal Kombat Fight Stick's control configuration, performance, and components should please the passionate fighting game community. The design utilizes genuine Suzo-Happ arcade cabinet components, including the traditional Mortal Kombat control layout with concave buttons.

Both the buttons and the joystick have a distinct springiness to them, which feels just like the old school Mortal Kombat arcade cabinets. The buttons are all labeled, but the functions of each can be manually reconfigured within the game. While the ability to personalize the controls is handy, by default the game is already pre-loaded with the NetherRealm-sanctioned configuration for use with the Fight Stick.

Since this is the first official arcade stick for Mortal Kombat and a significant deviation from traditional fighting game button configurations, there is definitely a lengthy learning period before most players will become proficient with it. Moreover, there are new aspects of the gameplay, such as the X-Ray Mode combos, which require users to tap two buttons simultaneously.

mortal-kombat-fight-stick-20110418083252967-000.jpg

Still, if you give yourself time to settle in with the Fight Stick, it starts to feel natural.

Once you get comfortable, the Fight Stick really starts to shine. The joystick and the action buttons are extremely responsive, detecting depressions and directional commands with 1:1 accuracy. Throughout my testing, I never noticed a single missed button press or character movement, though admittedly the joystick's fluid motion as compared to more rigid fight sticks requires a greater degree of control.

In the end, the Mortal Kombat Fight Stick is up there with Mad Catz's Tournament Edition FightSticks in terms of quality and performance, and is certainly a worthy investment for fans of the series and passionate fighting game players.

Performance 9.5
    The joystick and buttons are springy and responsive, detecting depressions and directional commands with 1:1 accuracy. The joystick is a little loose, but easy to adapt to.

Build Quality 9.0
    The arcade-style wood casing is top-notch, but adds extra bulk and weight.

Value 8.5
    At $129.99 or $149.99 bundled with the game, it is a competively priced fighting stick, but it may still be too pricey for casual players.

OVERALL 9.0 (Amazing)
  • Bcotton5
    edited April 2011
    Options
    lol the button layout on the MK stick brings me back to my childhood

IMG_6569_403_1.jpg

1181242138193.jpg

13.jpg

2286872427_f537db17be.jpg
  • intalect
    intalect Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    All im gonna say is the story mode definitely aint as easy as it looks lol ! alot of 1 on 2 action going on i got beat up once im not even gonna lie
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    http://www.thebitbag.com/2011/04/19/rumor-freddy-and-jason-coming-to-mortal-kombat/
    So the MK news and rumors keep flooding into my inbox. This one comes from a UK connection close to the project. Apparently, Warner Bros. is going all out with the DLC in the form of some very high profile IP’s. The rumor is that they will be bringing Freddy and Jason to the MK franchise this Halloween. There’s obviously no official details and this is JUST a rumor, but if it comes true, MK is living up to the title of best fighting game of the year. We will keep digging to find out whether this info is real or not.
  • Bcotton5
    edited April 2011
    Options

thats cool and all but we'll still have to see if its a good fighting game
  • Bcotton5
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

Thats wassup. Again, Warner Bros money is just too long. Capcom gotta step it up.

Already copped the game for myself, didn't really need to have a group of people decide for me if I like it or not. Looks fun if nothing else.
  • Bcotton5
    edited April 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Thats wassup. Again, Warner Bros money is just too long. Capcom gotta step it up.

Already copped the game for myself, didn't really need to have a group of people decide for me if I like it or not. Looks fun if nothing else.

Not really, seeing how SF4 made it possible for this game to even come out in the 1st place and sold 3 million, more than this game will sale.

What's the point of buying a fighting game if its only good for single player?

Just saying, this game might be a great competitive fighter
  • focus
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Not really, seeing how SF4 made it possible for this game to even come out in the 1st place and sold 3 million, more than this game will sale.

What's the point of buying a fighting game if its only good for single player?

Just saying, this game might be a great competitive fighter

LOL. Huh? How did SF4 make it possible for MK9 to come out? MK has always dropped consistantly and has always sold consistantly when Capcom was on 10 year hiatus. MK is always good for 2 million and this one has more hype and acclaim than ever. 3 million is not unachieveable by any means.

And if you are talking about the competitive fighting thing then (once again) why are you quoting me? In terms of features, DLC and what a fighting game is bringing to the table, Capcom needs to step it up. Hell, even WITHOUT MK9 Capcom needs to step it up, but especially now. They just don't have the money Warner Bros does, thats just a fact.
  • earth two superman
    edited April 2011
    Options
    first mk game ive ever bought
  • Bcotton5
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yea cause fighting games was the hot ? in 2008

why do they need that money when their games are selling more though? And are revered as superior games? Looks like Ed Boon needs to step it up

They aint made a good fighting game since UMK3 , that came out in 1995
  • focus
    edited April 2011
    Options
    They aint made a good fighting game since UMK3 , that came out in 1995

And what does this have to do with what I said? You always seem to dodge that. Your still not getting it cause your Capcom defense sheild is blinding my words or something.
  • Bcotton5
    edited April 2011
    Options
    "didn't really need to have a group of people decide for me if I like it or not."

Yea Im gonna rush out to buy to a game from a company that hasnt made a good game since 1995
  • earth two superman
    edited April 2011
    Options
    That is a good point, but the demo was enough to convince me.
  • GTariq
    GTariq Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    LOL at the Kombo Pass you all were talking about in the thread regarding online play!!

I like it so far!! I'll wait to play online over the weekend.
  • Bcotton5
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ed boon might've did a great job with this, I dont know why you acting like Im hating on the game or something when he's stated himself that he's never tried to make MK a good fighting game before this

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/re--ed-boon-discusses-mk--tekk/1086380

ed Boon:

[...] When fighting games for their most technical, sales went down. You were going to make 100,000 people estatic with your really technical game but everyone else was going to move on to something else. So, to me, MK [has been its appeal] to the guys who just like to get their buddies together to fight.

[...] I think MK has taken the most dramatic turns over the years. If you look at Virtua fighter 1-5, they've stayed a consistent course through the whole thing. Same with Tekken. [...]

difference between MK vs SF

Producer Hector Sanchez:

"MK is a more western based experience. Really big, over the top moments and fatalities whereas in SF yo had to be really skilled to get your character to perform something that would make everyone in the crowd roar...

[...]

Whereas in MK if someone told you a fatality, you could go into an arrcade and get tthe same reaction by doing something never before seen"

How has fighting games changed

Boon: Ripping someone's head off doesn't have the same effect

[...]

MK has been more focused on story and mythology.

[...] SF has beem a more technical, strategic game; I think you can see in SF4 that they're trying hard to make it more approachable. We're coming from the other way.

John Edwards

"I think overall fighting games have done a poor job teaching new players how to play.

[...]

As a genre we could do a much better job of teaching the casual. I hope we're able to bridge that gap.

Which is more important? Masses, or ? fans?

Boon:

"If we had the ? fighting fans approval and the sales that those games do, we souldn't be allowed to continue here. If this game came out and sold 300k or 400k units and got all the approval in the world from the fighting game guys, we would be considered gods and then we'd all go onto other games.

Games cose millions and millions to make, and if they don't bring back a return, the company giving you the money won't be giving it to you again. There are guys who are very celebrated in the industry who don't make profitible games"