Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in The Social Lounge
? ? ?

Comments

• Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Governments should provide certain incentives (ie. tax breaks) that encourage people to not have children.
  • Sh0t
    Sh0t Members Posts: 1,162
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ain't no overpopulation.

The main problems are government interventions across the world to reduce the supplies of food, water, etc. Often on purpose, sometimes not. Look at former breadbaskets like the Ukraine and Zimbabwe. Those two countries alone could feed a quarter of the planet, but decades of communism ruined agriculture in those two examples.

If you give incentives(besides normal market/psychological) for people to have more or less children, you will get a horde of unintended consequences. See china right now which is going to have a severe shortage of women in 15 years because so few girls were kept. Opposite of American inner cities where welfare encourage women to have as many kids as possible for fatter welfare checks.
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Pull out

/thread
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    There is no complete overpopulation, just too many people having kids that can't afford to have them. My solution is the one Huruma said, give tax breaks to people who get vasectomies or some kind of cash benefit.

I'll get a vasectomy tomorrow if the government gives me 200-300 dollars. Otherwise, I'll just get one next year.
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2011
    Options
    b*braze wrote: »
    Pull out

/thread

This works too.....saved my ass more times than I can count. I've funded two abortions too, so that can help as well.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Overpopulation is not as big an issue as advertised. The consensus among demographers is that in 200 years there will be fewer people on earth than there are now. Plus solutions to overpopulation have not historically worked out particularly well.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Sh0t wrote: »
    Ain't no overpopulation.

The main problems are government interventions across the world to reduce the supplies of food, water, etc. Often on purpose, sometimes not. Look at former breadbaskets like the Ukraine and Zimbabwe. Those two countries alone could feed a quarter of the planet, but decades of communism ruined agriculture in those two examples.

If you give incentives(besides normal market/psychological) for people to have more or less children, you will get a horde of unintended consequences. See china right now which is going to have a severe shortage of women in 15 years because so few girls were kept. Opposite of American inner cities where welfare encourage women to have as many kids as possible for fatter welfare checks.

That doesn't mean there is no such thing as overpopulation. There is no quetion that the preent population is wreaking havoc on the planet using natural resources at a pretty alarming rate. Think about it. We've really only been using fossil fuels heavy since the mid 1900s, there is talk that all the oil and such will be gone in 100 years. That means we've pretty much used all of something that took millions of years to create in two centuries.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Let others ? themselves, quickly or slowly, however they choose. Be the Dr Kevorkian to the people. Provide the options and they pick the method. But I think that's kind of going on now.
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Let others ? themselves, quickly or slowly, however they choose. Be the Dr Kevorkian to the people. Provide the options and they pick the method. But I think that's kind of going on now.

This is a very good choice. I wish assistant suicide was legal, it would save not only people a lot of heartache and pain, it would save the govt tons of money too. If I ever get too feeble and sickly, I'll either blast my head off with a gun or ask someone else to shoot me. I see no need in living out a life if it's one filled with pain and agony.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ain't no overpopulation.

I agree.. We need better logistics on how to feed clothe and shelter human beings...as well as better efforts toward family planning and more stable relationships.
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This is why space exploration is so important. We must develop a faster ways for space travel to find inhabitable planets. The best solution is to find habitable planets to reduce our population size on earth.
  • Sh0t
    Sh0t Members Posts: 1,162
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Most countries are indeed crippled by politics, I'm not so sure "political correctness" is the term to use, however.

When politics attempt to influence an economy, there lots of ill effects, including social ones. You tend to get the population you "need" when you don't mess with the economic signalling. When children are a valuable resource, people tend to have more. When children are a burden, people tend to have less. But you can wreck the smooth process by either artificially undervaluing or overvaluing children. Constant inflation tends to discourage people from saving, which discourages capital formation, which weakens the future economic strength of that country, etc.
  • dr.oliverpo
    dr.oliverpo Members Posts: 242 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Afghanistan
    Katrina
    Indonesia Tsunami
    Japan Tsunami/Earthquake

those are Population control put on earth by the goverment.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    get all these chicks tubes tide
  • bankrupt baller
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This is why space exploration is so important. We must develop a faster ways for space travel to find inhabitable planets. The best solution is to find habitable planets to reduce our population size on earth.

or how about not ruining the planet we live on now?...nah ? that thats too much work lets bounce lol
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    edited April 2011
    Options
    or how about not ruining the planet we live on now?...nah ? that thats too much work lets bounce lol

the damage we have done to the planet is irreversable. The planet is already doomed to become inhospitable, man has just accelerated this process. In the meantime we should reduce our population by sending a sector of it to other habitable planets. This will lessen the devastating effects climate change and overpopulation will have on our standard living. By 2050 our population will exponentially increase and there will be parts of our world that will no longer be habitable due to flooding. There will be mass migrations in areas already suffering from over-population.
    Another idea I propose is building man-made islands in the ocean and perhaps under-water.
  • damnkp
    damnkp Members Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    male birth control pills
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    edited April 2011
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Well that powers that be put an end to all of that. Yet funding for WARS keeps on going and going and going.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1247782/Obama-No-Monopoly-money-Nasa-Moon-mission-scrapped.html

NASA is too big and slow anyway. When it comes to space, the Air Force is at the tip of the spear.There is no way the United States will abandon its position in space. I firmly believe that our Air Force has developed technoloy that has yet to be seen by the American public. We are a lot more technologically advanced than what we have been led to believe. We still have a long time until were hopping from one planet to the next but the growth in technology is so exponential that the possiblity of humans inhabiting another planet by the end of the century is not so far fetched.
  • bankrupt baller
    edited April 2011
    Options
    the damage we have done to the planet is irreversable. The planet is already doomed to become inhospitable, man has just accelerated this process. In the meantime we should reduce our population by sending a sector of it to other habitable planets. This will lessen the devastating effects climate change and overpopulation will have on our standard living. By 2050 our population will exponentially increase and there will be parts of our world that will no longer be habitable due to flooding. There will be mass migrations in areas already suffering from over-population.
    Another idea I propose is building man-made islands in the ocean and perhaps under-water.

name these other habitable planets close to use
  • le roi marquis
    le roi marquis Members Posts: 35
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I don't think overpopulation is the problem so much as dense population in urban areas is. I think by developing more rural areas and investing in better public transport infrastructure we give people incentives to depopulate urban areas. Of course the question becomes striking the balance between the agricultural sector in a safe manner. That is beyond my scope of understanding but I think there is some merit in the idea.Creating opportunities outside the arena of the city would greatly help rural populations since the main reason they move(to the city) is to get a better life. A heightened sense of the problem could perhaps allow people to be more responsible, but a cultural chance would undoubtedly be difficult especially in poorer countries where birth control isn't as available.
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ain't no overpopulation.

thats false there is a limit to how many children qualify for welfare ie cap babies
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    There is no overpopulation. Its just propaganda.
  • rose.amoureux
    rose.amoureux Members Posts: 2,046
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Mandatory tubes tied/vasectomy.
  • b*braze
    edited April 2011
    Options
    NASA is too big and slow anyway. When it comes to space, the Air Force is at the tip of the spear.There is no way the United States will abandon its position in space. I firmly believe that our Air Force has developed technoloy that has yet to be seen by the American public. We are a lot more technologically advanced than what we have been led to believe. We still have a long time until were hopping from one planet to the next but the growth in technology is so exponential that the possiblity of humans inhabiting another planet by the end of the century is not so far fetched.

NASA often works in conjunction with the air force. and we definitely are far more advanced than the average man knows. its not so much that the government hide it from the american public as it is hiding it from the rest of the world and the corporations who develop these things trying to keep it under wraps to patent it when it is developed for domestic use.

GPS for example, was at some point some top secret military ? , now any ? with a cell phone or google can make use of the global navigational satellite system
  • b*braze
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Afghanistan
    Katrina
    Indonesia Tsunami
    Japan Tsunami/Earthquake

those are Population control put on earth by the goverment.

ridiculous... the population in all those places aint even high.

when they gon start sendin ? to india and china?