They got him! Gbagbo captured

Options
allreasoned_out
allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in The Social Lounge
Finally.

What do you think they should do with him? His recalcitrance has cost the Ivory Coast dearly.

Ivory-Coast-strongman-Lau-007.jpg

Comments

• allreasoned_out
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ivory Coast strongman arrested after French forces intervene

By Colum Lynch and William Branigin, Monday, April 11

UNITED NATIONS — Ivory Coast strongman Laurent Gbagbo was arrested Monday by French-backed forces of president-elect Alassane Ouattara, raising hopes for an imminent end to the strife that has wracked the West African country since Gbagbo refused to acknowledge his defeat in a November presidential election.

Following an attack on Gbagbo’s residence in Abidjan, the country’s major city, by French forces earlier Monday, troops loyal to Ouattara went in and seized Gbagbo, according to U.N., French and Ivorian officials.

Gbagbo “has been arrested,” said Youssoufou Bamba, the U.N. envoy of president-elect Ouattara. “He is alive” and will be “brought to justice,” he said in a telephone interview.

Initial reports indicated that French troops had captured Gbagbo (pronounced Bagbo) and turned him over to Ouattara’s forces. But Bamba subsequently told reporters that the arrest operation had been carried out by forces loyal to Ouattara.

“I am clear about that,” he told reporters outside the U.N. Security Council. “That’s the Republican Forces of Cote d’Ivoire who have conducted the operation. Gbagbo is arrested. He is under our custody. . . . Right now, he is being brought to a safe location for the next course of action.”

Bamba said he was confident that as “the news will spread” of Gbagbo’s arrest, his forces “will stop fighting and they will lay down their weapons.” He added: “Those fighting are fighting for nothing, because this man is over, this era is over. We will address the serious problem of the humanitarian situation and the security situation . . . and restore public order.”

After briefing the U.N. Security Council on developments in Ivory Coast, U.N. peacekeeping chief Alain Le Roy told reporters: “I can confirm that former president Gbagbo and his wife are presently in the Golf Hotel under the custody of Mr. Ouattara’s forces.” At Gbagbo’s request, however, U.N. peacekeepers took responsibility for ensuring the the couple’s personal security, Le Roy said.

Le Roy insisted that “Mr. Gbagbo surrendered to President Ouattara’s forces” and that “it was President Ouattara’s forces who entered the residence,” not U.N. or French troops. Le Roy said he understands that Ouattara might want to prosecute Gbagbo. “Of course, it’s his call,” the vet*eran French diplomat said. “And he might want him to go outside Abidjan. If he decides so, we will assist in providing security.”

Le Roy said the situation on the ground remains dangerous. The arrest of Gbagbo was an important step in a transition to democratic rule in Ivory Coast, he said, but “we cannot call it euphoria. The crisis is not over.”

For their part, Gbagbo’s supporters dismissed claims that the operation was carried out by Ouattara’s forces, noting that French and U.N. attack helicopters had pounded the presidential palace and Gbagbo’s residence.

“It’s absolutely untrue,” said Zakaria Fellah, a Gbagbo loyalist and adviser, who claimed that French ground troops were deployed around Gbagbo’s residence. Fellah, who is in the United States, said he has been in constant telephone contact with Gbagbo loyalists in the vicinity of the fighting.

“The so-called regime of Ouattara’s forces were completely absent,” he said.

Any Ouattara loyalists who may have played any role in the arrest, he said, were merely “auxiliaries” of the U.N. and French troops. “This operation, the final assault, was carried out by the French troops,” he said.

Fellah said the manner in which Gbagbo was deposed will leave a legacy of deep resentment among his supporters, who will view this as another example of the former colonial power, France, using superior firepower to decide who will rule the country.

In Paris, French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said the helicopter attacks and armored advance Sunday and Monday were carried out in response to a request from U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to eliminate Gbagbo’s heavy weapons, with which he was threatening civilians. French authorities said Ouattara’s forces entered Gbagbo’s residence, pulled him out and turned him over to U.N. troops. Ouattara’s ambassador in Paris, Ali Coubaly, said Gbagbo would be treated well in custody but that he would have to answer to international justice for his alleged crimes.

In Washington, Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.), chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, urged dialogue and reconciliation.

“The detention of Laurent Gbagbo marks a new beginning for the Ivoirian people who have suffered gravely,” he said in a statement. “This is an important step forward, but there will be challenges ahead, and I urge President Ouattara to support a peaceful dialogue that will ensure the long-term stability and prosperity of Cote d’Ivoire. All citizens of Cote d’Ivoire must now come together to tackle the hard work of rebuilding their nation.” Cote d’Ivoire is the French name for Ivory Coast and the government’s preferred name for the country.

In London, British Foreign Minister William Hague urged Gbagbo’s captors to give him a fair trial.

“Mr. Gbagbo has acted against any democratic principles in the way he has behaved in recent months, and of course there have been many many breaches of any rule of law as well,” Hague told a news conference. “At the same time, we would say that he must be treated with respect, and any judicial process that follows should be a fair and properly organized judicial process.”

The arrest came after French armored vehicles closed in on the compound where Gbagbo had been holed up in a bunker while trying to remain in power despite Ouattara’s victory in the November election, the results of which were certified by the United Nations.

The column of more than two dozen armored vehicles advanced on the compound from a French base in Ivory Coast, a former French colony, a day after U.N. and French helicopters attacked Gbagbo’s forces, destroying its heavy weapons.

A U.N. Security Council resolution approved in March authorized the use of force in Ivory Coast. U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and French President Nicolas Sarkozy accused Gbagbo of using heavy weapons against civilians in his effort to cling to power.

Gbagbo’s wife was also detained in Monday’s operation, the Ivorian ambassador to France told reporters.

Sunday’s attack by French and U.N. helicopter gunships was their second against Gbagbo’s forces in a week.The French military deployed tanks Monday for the first time near Gbagbo’s bunker, according to the Associated Press.

But U.N. peacekeeping officials said that while U.N. Mi-24 attack helicopters struck heavy weapons targets, U.N. troops were were not directly involved in the operation to apprehend Gbagbo.

The U.N. leadership described the operation as part of a limited, U.N.-authorized effort to prevent Gbagbo from using force against civilians, U.N. peacekeepers or Ouattara.

Under the terms of the U.N. Security Council resolution, the United Nations is authorized to use force to prevent Gbagbo’s forces from using their heavy weapons against civilians and U.N. targets.

Le Roy, the U.N. undersecretary general for peacekeeping operations, said Friday that Gbagbo’s forces had regrouped in the Plateau and Cocody neighborhoods in Abidjan and had resumed shelling of U.N. and civilian targets. Over the weekend, Gbagbo’s forces also shelled the Golf Hotel, the headquarters of president-elect Ouattara.

Le Roy confirmed Monday that Gbabgo was taken to the Golf Hotel, where he was placed under the protection of U.N. peacekeepers.

Noting that the hotel has served as Ouattara’s home for several months, Le Roy told reporters outside the U.N. Security Council: “They are in the same hotel, the Golf Hotel. . . . I don’t know if they have spoken together.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/ivory-coast-strongman-arrested-after-french-forces-intervene/2011/04/11/AFOBaeKD_print.html
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I don't know anything about Gbagbo or the situation in the Ivory Coast.

They shouldn't do anything to him except maybe house arrest to ensure he doesn't start anymore trouble. He should be replaced by a democratically elected president. Like I said, I don't know much about the situation.

-haven't yet read the article.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Gbagbo or the situation in the Ivory Coast.

They shouldn't do anything to him except maybe house arrest to ensure he doesn't start anymore trouble. He should be replaced by a democratically elected president. Like I said, I don't know much about the situation.

-haven't yet read the article.

• Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    uhhhhh the UN is ran by white's and if you dont do what they say this is an example of what will happen
  • Mr.Burns
    Mr.Burns Members Posts: 517
    edited April 2011
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    uhhhhh the UN is ran by white's and if you dont do what they say this is an example of what will happen

Ignorant response. Gbagbo lost a democratic election and didn't want to step down so whatever he get's he deserves. What I'm concerned about here is Gbagbo has been using violence to keep power for a year now. Why now does the international community, especially the French (Ivory Coasts colonial master), want to step in??
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Good, Gbagbo shouldv'e been kicked out a long time ago. He lost the election, his ? ass needs to go. Hopefully he'll be put on trial for crimes against humanity and be done with. Hopefully Outtra will be a better leader than Gbagbo, I wish the people of the Ivory Coast luck.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

No, he lost an election fair and square, and acted like a ? when the results came in. I'm not a huge fan of the UN, but they're right on this count.
  • allreasoned_out
    edited April 2011
    Options

The UN is right about this. It doesn't matter if it is run by whites.

Anyway, the way I look at it is that here is black country that has suffered tremendously because of a leader who refused to step down. For a race man such as myself, this is very serious crime indeed.
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I have never understood why African are so quick to support these puppet politicians to the point that they form armed factions defending them. Unless they are advocating real change and have proven themselves , Africans should trust no one. All politicians are fraud. I'm awaiting a true a revolution, one that unifies the various tribes and ethnicities and advocates self sufficiency and independence from western influence.
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Gbagbo is Roman Catholic. Ouattara is Muslim.

If you think the UN-USA-FRANCE supported Ouattara due to concern for "democracy", then you are decieved.

If you think Christians [and "sorta Christians"] should be persecuted, then throw a party.

Obama is PLAINLY proIslam.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I have read/seen a tremendous amount about this topic but I still dont know ? about the it

first of all its strange that both camps have troops, picture ur presidential candidate having troops of his/her own(probably has something to do with the civil war 8 years ago?). Secondly it was 54 vs 46 %, this is not significant enough to be considered a win imo, you need to have 60% of the votes, atleast then you have a sound majority. Other ? up thing is that I do not trust both candidates and their camps and I dont even know is this were actual legitamite elections(when you have elections were both candidates have armed forces lol). In general there are many topics which the French and the UN refuse to discuss....infact the UN/French have used dozens of arguments in the past why they cannot and should interfere in (insert random country) state business etc, now they have enetered on their own term.

The French obviously have their own agenda serving the Ouatara camp, one might say they abused the UN mandate but on the other hand the UN has always looked the other way in the congo and is waging war in Libya right now so.......

So no I donot think the French and UN have done the right thing, the French obviously have a lot to gain from the Ouatara camp, so the current solution is not in the benefit of the ivory coast but partially in their benefit and partially in French interest....The only way I would have supported a UN intervention was if there were multiple nations from different continents involved with a clear and sound plan instead of those ? weazels the French it should have been a coalition. With the French leading this ? the UN proves once again that its just a tool for powerfull nations to preach their own agenda.
  • SoutCity
    SoutCity Members Posts: 1,901 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    I have read/seen a tremendous amount about this topic but I still dont know ? about the it

first of all its strange that both camps have troops, picture ur presidential candidate having troops of his/her own(probably has something to do with the civil war 8 years ago?). Secondly it was 54 vs 46 %, this is not significant enough to be considered a win imo, you need to have 60% of the votes, atleast then you have a sound majority. Other ? up thing is that I do not trust both candidates and their camps and I dont even know is this were actual legitamite elections(when you have elections were both candidates have armed forces lol). In general there are many topics which the French and the UN refuse to discuss....infact the UN/French have used dozens of arguments in the past why they cannot and should interfere in (insert random country) state business etc, now they have enetered on their own term.

The French obviously have their own agenda serving the Ouatara camp, one might say they abused the UN mandate but on the other hand the UN has always looked the other way in the congo and is waging war in Libya right now so.......

So no I donot think the French and UN have done the right thing, the French obviously have a lot to gain from the Ouatara camp, so the current solution is not in the benefit of the ivory coast but partially in their benefit and partially in French interest....The only way I would have supported a UN intervention was if there were multiple nations from different continents involved with a clear and sound plan instead of those ? weazels the French it should have been a coalition. With the French leading this ? the UN proves once again that its just a tool for powerfull nations to preach their own agenda.

Good post, pretty much sums the whole ordeal up.
  • allreasoned_out
    edited April 2011
    Options
    To me it is disgusting to not support something that helps black people because white people are involved. Actually I find it sickening. As I have said before, I'm motivated by a love of black people, not a hatred of white people (though I'm as enraged at white supremacy as any of you). The fact is that this action by the French will help a black country get back on track. That's the primary thing black people should be concerned with.

Oh, and if Ouattara had troops all this time why did it take him so long to mount a defense? For months he was cooped up in a hotel being protected by the UN. The troops that he used to fight Gbagbo seem to have been organized in the last couple months.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I m from there and the majority of my family still lives there and homie was forced out and replaced by the UN and the French. He was looking to nationalize our industries and push the country away from French influences which they could nt deal with. How can they claim there were voting irregularrities for both sides and claim that one is the winner. 2 Ouattara was declared the winner based on a preliminary count, the body whose sole purpose is to count up the votes and declare the winnerm, declared Gbagbo the winner after the final votes were tabulated. Who gives outsiders and international group the right to choose a sovereign nation's leader? they are trying to do the same ? to Khaddafi.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    edited April 2011
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    Good post, pretty much sums the whole ordeal up.

You my sir is correct................
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    edited April 2011
    Options
    To me it is disgusting to not support something that helps black people because white people are involved. Actually I find it sickening. As I have said before, I'm motivated by a love of black people, not a hatred of white people (though I'm as enraged at white supremacy as any of you). The fact is that this action by the French will help a black country get back on track. That's the primary thing black people should be concerned with.

Oh, and if Ouattara had troops all this time why did it take him so long to mount a defense? For months he was cooped up in a hotel being protected by the UN. The troops that he used to fight Gbagbo seem to have been organized in the last couple months.
    At what cost?
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    for the ? who responsed to my post( i know they said he lost the election). yall are going off what the white media says smh and white people are not out to help black folks so ?
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I m from there and the majority of my family still lives there and homie was forced out and replaced by the UN and the French. He was looking to nationalize our industries and push the country away from French influences which they could nt deal with. How can they claim there were voting irregularrities for both sides and claim that one is the winner. 2 Ouattara was declared the winner based on a preliminary count, the body whose sole purpose is to count up the votes and declare the winnerm, declared Gbagbo the winner after the final votes were tabulated. Who gives outsiders and international group the right to choose a sovereign nation's leader? they are trying to do the same ? to Khaddafi.

I can tell a lot of ppl don't know about how ? works in Africa.

I'm Liberian so e dap to you family. In these situations I never take sides. I never say this person was right or this person was wrong. Because honestly, everybody is corrupt during these processes. And of course, it's the people who lose out in the end.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    edited April 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    I can tell a lot of ppl don't know about how ? works in Africa.

I'm Liberian so e dap to you family. In these situations I never take sides. I never say this person was right or this person was wrong. Because honestly, everybody is corrupt during these processes. And of course, it's the people who lose out in the end.

so u already know lol but i mean they both corrupt ( my family is in the upper echelon of society back there. Both those guys I know and met personally) the thing is everyone is corrupt and everyone steals. But as Gbagbo was taking off the top, he was still maintaining a nationalistic discourse and looking to make sure that we were no longer being economically abused by the French amongst other things. Everybody knows that Ouattara will find a way to sell the country away. Trust me. The French have already pledged 400 M Euro "loan" to help us rebuild. 1 A lot of money aint gonna do ? but go into ppl's pockets 2) what did Ouattara have to put up to secure those funds?
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    so u already know lol but i mean they both corrupt ( my family is in the upper echelon of society back there. Both those guys I know and met personally) the thing is everyone is corrupt and everyone steals. But as Gbagbo was taking off the top, he was still maintaining a nationalistic discourse and looking to make sure that we were no longer being economically abused by the French amongst other things. Everybody knows that Ouattara will find a way to sell the country away. Trust me. The French have already pledged 400 M Euro "loan" to help us rebuild. 1 A lot of money aint gonna do ? but go into ppl's pockets 2) what did Ouattara have to put up to secure those funds?

This is what I love about Western Hypocrisy. China starts moving into Africa heavy and now everybody is trying to hand out loans and "humanitarian aid." The same countries that colonized and practiced economic warfare on us are "helping us deal withe corrupt governments."

And yeah my family is in the same boat too. Its funny how you can hear news through the media, then ask real ppl going through it and they have an entirely different account of the events.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    edited April 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    This is what I love about Western Hypocrisy. China starts moving into Africa heavy and now everybody is trying to hand out loans and "humanitarian aid." The same countries that colonized and practiced economic warfare on us are "helping us deal withe corrupt governments."

And yeah my family is in the same boat too. Its funny how you can hear news through the media, then ask real ppl going through it and they have an entirely different account of the events.

The media is controlled by the powers that be. I mean look at the pics they post of GBAGBO having him look crazy and ? . But trust that 400 M comes at a cost. First Ouattarra and his cronies gon skim off the top then might try to rebuild with whats left but u dont know what they gave up for that gwap.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited April 2011
    Options
    first of all its strange that both camps have troops, picture ur presidential candidate having troops of his/her own(probably has something to do with the civil war 8 years ago?).
    well, that IS the issue: that this electron brought out all that drama again
    Secondly it was 54 vs 46 %, this is not significant enough to be considered a win imo, you need to have 60% of the votes, atleast then you have a sound majority.
    honestly this is probably going to be a cultural difference for some of us; if it was the US, that wouldn't be an unreasonable margin of victory at all
    The French obviously have their own agenda serving the Ouatara camp-
    almost certainly true, but i am willing to give them a little credit IF the country simmers down. we'll see
  • sonofliberty
    sonofliberty Members Posts: 501
    edited April 2011
    Options

I see what you are saying but the conflict isn't a black and white issue. It's a whole lot of gray.
    The French are out for personal interests. They need to extend their influence in the region, plus Sarkosy is up for re-elections soon.

Ouattara was already declared a winner. Any use of force that early would seem suspect.Why not just give Gbagbo enough rope to hang himself. And Ouattara's forces didn't just come about in those 4 months they were already available. The same troops are suspected of voter intimidation and killings in the northern part of the country. I can't wrap my head around this....A presidential candidate with his own troops..smh.

Since both sides are guilty of foul play I think they should have an interim government until all allegations of fraud and killings have been investigated. That is what the French and UN would have supported IF they were neutral. I mean if there is crystal clear evidence that atrocities were committed by forces loyal to Ouattrara and Gbagbo how in the hell can you say either is capable of being a legitimate president??? What kinda mickey mouse ? is that? And how does the UN say they are there for humanitarian aid yet hundreds of people get massacred in some town they were stationed in days earlier. Yet turn around and assist rebels in attacking the Presidential palace. Their sense of neutrality is all ? up. That's even more reason to suspect that the French and UN had agendas beyond humanitarian aid.
  • le roi marquis
    le roi marquis Members Posts: 35
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Outtara worked for the IMF and was educated in the Ivy League, so he definitely has the pedigree to be a puppet. These type of circumstances are why it is almost impossible to set Africa off on the right track. The forces that interfere are way to powerful and ingrained within the top echelons of those respective societies. Western media has been incredibly biased and has spread misinformation that has only sought to serve the agendas of those same governments. This has included that Outtara's forces have committed no war crimes which couldn't be further from the truth.

Let's not forget that the Constitutional Council of the Ivory Coast declared Gbagbo the winner after reviewing the results, but because the UN is a ? they undermined the process and fabricated the real results. They have absolutely no authority in the country so the fact that they made such an assertion is laughable at best.