Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes Exclusive
First look at the creation of Caesar

Hail Caesar! The leader of the new ape revolution in Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes has finally made his debut, courtesy of this world-exclusive process shot which reveals how Weta Digital (the same people who made Gollum, Kong and Avatar's Na'vi) transformed Andy 'Lord Of Performance Capture' Serkis into the genetically-enhanced chimp who, in Rupert Wyatt's prequel to/reboot of the Planet Of The Apes franchise, kicks off the world-changing events that will one day lead to the devastation of humanity.

Empire's been there all the way, from watching Serkis at (physically exhausting) work on the Vancouver set - in grey jumpsuit, on arm-extending crutches, with green dots all over his face - to witnessing his performance in full Weta-created, photo-realistic ape mode at Weta Digital's base in Wellington, New Zealand, eight months later. It's truly impressive stuff - another leap forward for Weta from the achievements of Lord Of The Rings and Avatar, not least because it's the first movie to pull off performance-capture in an entirely live-action 'real world' setting.

rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-stage-1.jpg

rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-stage-2.jpg

rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-stage-3.jpg

rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-stage-4.jpg

"The main thing we're trying to do is create these completely believable ape characters and treat them completely in a live-action sense," explains senior visual effects supervisor Joe Leterri when Empire meets him at Weta. "This actually grew most directly out of what we were doing on Avatar, but here we brought the motion capture completely onto the live-action stage. We had to hide all of the motion-capture cameras all over the live-action sets. And so we could have Andy Serkis, and any of the other actors playing the apes in the set with the [non-ape] actors actually performing."

As you can tell from the shot, the original Apes movies - and their prosthetic make-up - weren't really a reference for Weta, or indeed Serkis, who were more keen to base their performances on real apes. Serkis, of course, has previous form here, having played King Kong. But Caesar, he tells us, is a very different character. "Kong was purely a gorilla, so I went all-out to to make that work and play the psychology and DNA of a pure gorilla," he says. "But this is much more mercurial and 'shifting sands' in terms of who this creature is, because he's brought up with human beings, and then he's inherited this drug which has enhanced his intelligence, so you have to almost forget he's a chimp, really. We've been experimenting with treating him much more as a human being, really. It feels more like a human drama story."

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is due out later this year in the UK. The official site is now live, and is called "Apes Will Rise". Yes, and Titans will clash, but enough with the fortune telling already.

Plus, here's the teaser trailer for you - or you can watch it in a bigger format over at Apple. What do you reckon? Excited? Let us know in the comment box below.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30708

Comments

• A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Tim Burton's movie tripped me the ? out, when i wasn't completely amazed i was laughing my ass off, that was a good movie. i was extremely high at the time though
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hollywood needs some new ideas. Nothing original coming out anymore...
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    bigrizz wrote: »
    original things come out still.....just not as much
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    bigrizz wrote: »

People tend to pass over original concepts, which causes Hollywood to want to invest in something nostalgic or in a book to rake in some quick dollars, but years later the original to us becomes an incredible hit to a newer generation when it is remade.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    this ? again dam
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ps that title is atrocious

just call it Rise of the Apes

in agreement
  • thenatureboy
    thenatureboy Members Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    C/S on the last film being disappointing, but the trailer for this looks good and seeing how they took over is a more interesting concept to me.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Download when it becomes available.Nothing more.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Looks a lot better than I thought it would be... LOL @ the black dude at the 1:35-1:36 mark thinking.. I'm ? !
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    meh............ i'll wait n see. fan of Franco but his looks like a letdown
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    the tim burton version was good imo. wasn't cool wit mark kissing an ape like his girl tho. that was kinda...yeeeahh. trailer for this looks dope tho. i'll wait to see more b4 i past judgement
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Wow, those CG apes look amazing!

I didn’t even know they were doing this. Trailer was like ’28 Day Later’… Cool

I liked those 60's/70's PotA movies. I’m guessing the title is in homage to the franchise…very wordy.
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    they ? it up. We suppose to be having the sequel to that last one. This aint no planet of the apes. this ? look like some monkey-lab-rat experiment gone bad. Why couldnt we get a sequel? Why! Why wont we know what happened when dude saw the abe lincoln statue as a monkey (ape)??????

I aint watching this movie. I already seen outbreak. and monkey shines. lol
  • -Karl-
    -Karl- Members Posts: 2,196 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ps that title is atrocious

just call it Rise of the Apes

Thats what I was thinking.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    still havent seen the first one lol
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I thought the planet of the Apes was a seperate planet..not earth taken over by apes....
  • CaliGuerillaBlazin
    CaliGuerillaBlazin Members Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    young chad wrote: »
    I thought the planet of the Apes was a seperate planet..not earth taken over by apes....

False.

I'm def interested in this tho for sure d/l
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    False.

I'm def interested in this tho for sure d/l

Guess I'm trippin but I thought for sure it was an Astronaut that got lost in space, thought he was coming back to Earth, landed..thought he was on earth, then comes across talking monkeys and realizes it's a parallel universe where Apes can talk and have humans as slaves...
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    young chad wrote: »
    Guess I'm trippin but I thought for sure it was an Astronaut that got lost in space, thought he was coming back to Earth, landed..thought he was on earth, then comes across talking monkeys and realizes it's a parallel universe where Apes can talk and have humans as slaves...

u might wanna go back and re watch the series .lol
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    edited June 2011
    Options
    New Planet Of The Apes Promo
    With more big chimpin' style...
    03 June 2011

The first teaser trailer for Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes arrived back in April along with our exclusive peek at the work Weta Digital is doing on the Simian superstars. Now the full theatrical trailer, which showcases more of the impressive primate CG work, is online and can be watched below.

Set in a near-future San Francisco, Rise finds driven scientist Will Rodman (James Franco) hard at work on what he hopes will be an effective cure for Alzheimer’s and other debilitating brain conditions. Working in the lab with chimps and other primates as his latest test subjects, Will thinks he’? upon something revolutionary – a new serum that not only reverses the disease’s effects, but actually boosts brain power. But just as the same approach led to trouble in Deep Blue Sea, it's going to cause issues here.

Unfortunately for Will, his main test subject, a bright chimp named Caesar (played via performance capture by Andy Serkis) starts thinking a little too much about how he and his fellow primates have been treated. He’s shipped off to a “sanctuary” where he and his friends are mistreated by cruel owner Brian ? , and starts to spur a simmering simian uprising.

There’s a plenty of new footage to be found in the trailer – take a look and let us know your thoughts.

Directed by Rupert Wyatt, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is out on August 12.

James White

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31147
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Planet Of The Apes Rises Internationally
    New promo brings fresh footage

18 June 2011 | Source: Coming Soon

Though we've had at least a couple of trailers for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, now comes one specifically targeted at us Brits (particularly given the release date mentioned). Take a look below.

No, it doesn’t try to shoehorn in the classic PG Tips chimps or insert a shot of Big Ben into the background of the big battle scene, but this new promo does offer up some fresh footage, particularly focused on Will (James Franco)’s relationship with his father (John Lithgow), the driving force behind his research into Alzheimer’s and other brain problems.

We get to see how chemically-tinkered chimp Caesar (Andy Serkis) bonds with the family, and how he’s more than willing to do anything to protect Lithgow when the moment calls for it. We also get more with Tom Felton, channelling his darker side once more as the son of Brian ? ’s brutal simian sanctuary owner.

But there’s also plenty of chimp action, and a chance for Caesar and co to go bananas (sorry).

With Rupert Wyatt directing, Rise of the Planet of the Apes will swing into UK cinemas on August 12.

James White

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31270
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Man, I was watching the trailer to that... And you can call me paranoid or whatever, but there were some serious racial undertones (or is it OVERTONES???) going on, if ya ask me. There were some not-so-subliminal messages going across the screen, if ya dig what I'm sayin'. And y'all know what I'm talkin' about... Don't play dumb. Anyway, I aint gonna go see it....
  • Dakari
    Dakari Members Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    smh @ no untertones being pointed out by T/S
  • Saboi 10.5
    Saboi 10.5 Members Posts: 542
    edited August 2011
    Options
    da monkeys are masquerading as.......
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Man, I was watching the trailer to that... And you can call me paranoid or whatever, but there were some serious racial undertones (or is it OVERTONES???) going on, if ya ask me. There were some not-so-subliminal messages going across the screen, if ya dig what I'm sayin'. And y'all know what I'm talkin' about... Don't play dumb. Anyway, I aint gonna go see it....

Explain what so racial about it.