Decoding Hidden Messages in the News

Options
Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in The Social Lounge
Okay intelligent and educated people of the Social Lounge. I have to write a research paper relating to the hidden messages in mass media. My paper will have to with the subliminal messages that are sometime sents through the news and how we can go about decoding/translating them for the absolute truth. I am having a hard time finding material relating to this topic online. I was wondering if any of you guys could share some material that might relate to my topic. Recommend books,online journals,research articles. Anything will be much appreciated.

Comments

• whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited April 2011
    Options
    How will you distinguish between a genuine hidden message and what your personal prejudices or preconception infer is there?
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    edited April 2011
    Options
    whar67 wrote: »
    How will you distinguish between a genuine hidden message and what your personal prejudices or preconception infer is there?

This is why it's good to view things with a clear and open mind, not letting our beliefs and values cast a smoke screen that prevents us from fully soaking in the material. Yet we must also acknowledge that there is a hidden message/agenda behind almost every news story. Ever heard of yellow journalsim or selective reporting by journalist? I'm not demonizing all journalist but what and how they report events is definately determined and influenced by higher authority. When we read or watch the news most of the time something is left out or added to influence public opinion.
  • zoepian
    zoepian Members Posts: 991
    edited April 2011
    Options
    how about wen they have some tragic ? up news then immediately they switch it to sum upbeat type news about sum lame ass ? ...

but to help u out i would have to be watchin the news rite now cuz ? dont be remembering off top.. would an example from a show on disney help? since u said "I have to write a research paper relating to the hidden messages in mass media"
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    edited April 2011
    Options
    zoepian wrote: »
    how about wen they have some tragic ? up news then immediately they switch it to sum upbeat type news about sum lame ass ? ...

but to help u out i would have to be watchin the news rite now cuz ? dont be remembering off top.. would an example from a show on disney help? since u said "I have to write a research paper relating to the hidden messages in mass media"

Yes anything will help. All help appreciated. And yes I have seen many examples of them reporting depressing news stories and then doing a total 180 and switch it to something fun and innocent. I'm not quite sure what implications that has on us or if it has any at all.
  • zoepian
    zoepian Members Posts: 991
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ayt check it, a disney show, about kids n ? ..

2 friends at school, prolly in the 3rd or 4th grade before finals n ? ... one is black and the other is white, the white kid being the main character....

both are failing one of their classes and both are summoned to the principles office... both are stressed the ? out.. and waiting their turns to see the principle...

black kid goes in first... teacher is dressed in pink and her office is mad innocents and bright colors.. she is super sweet to the black student...he is beggin her,, he tells her he doesnt want to leave his grade that he wantz to stay there cuz he doesnt wanna leave his friends.. he is confortable there... she jus stays all nice a smiley wit him.. and tells him ok... u may leave.. he comes out happy as ? ,,

so the white kid is like damn imma be good.. he goes in.. and the principle is in army clothing and talking to him like a drill sargeant.. tellin him hes gonna have to pass n ? ..and he is obigated to have a tutor for the rest of the term so he can get his grades up.. if he doesnt it wont be good for him.. he swweats bricks as he walks out the office.. n the rest of the show is about gettnin his grade up i guess.. i didnt finish watchin it...

i was jus flipin thru channels and landed on that..