Should Welfare Recipients Be Drug Tested?

Options
Hyde Parke
Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in The Social Lounge
Florida Welfare Drug Testing Bills Advance

Bills that would require new applicants for temporary welfare assistance to undergo suspicionless drug tests -- and pay for them themselves -- are advancing in the Florida legislature. On Wednesday, House Bill 353 passed the House Health and Human Services Committee. That same day, the Senate version of the bill, Senate Bill 556, won approval from Senate budget subcommittee. Both votes were party-line votes in the Republican dominated legislature.

Welfare recipients are the latest targets of Florida politicos. (Image via Wikimedia.org)
Under the legislation, applicants who fail a drug test would be barred from receiving cash assistance for one year. Failing a second drug test, would mean a three-year ban. Children of rejected applicants could receive benefits if they can find another adult who can pass the drug test to be a payee.

Republicans voting for the bills argued that since many taxpayers must endure drug testing on the job, it was only fair that welfare recipients be tested as well. They also argued drug testing would provide an incentive for drug abusers to seek treatment.

Democrats and their supporters retorted that suspicionless drug testing would likely be found unconstitutional. They also argued that it would be unfair to force people seeking assistance because they're poor to pay the estimated $35 cost of the drug test.

"We believe it is not quite reasonable to expect folks who are applying for temporary assistance to undergo drug testing that they must pay for," said Michael Sheedy of the Florida Catholic Conference, who testified against the bill.

"It may seem a little onerous telling folks they need to get drug tested," conceded Sen. Rene Garcia (R-Hialeah). "But at the end of the day, I want to help people who want to help themselves."

"We're heading into a court challenge with this," warned Sen. Eleanor Sobel (D-Hollywood).

The only state to pass a suspicionless welfare drug testing ban was Michigan, but that law was struck down by a federal appeals court in 2002. The court held that testing without particularized suspicion violates privacy rights and the Fourth Amendment's protection against unwarranted searches.

That hasn't stopped drug testing bills aimed at welfare recipients, unemployment seekers, or other convenient scapegoats from being a perennial favorite of pandering politicians. Although no state has passed a bill since the 2002 court decision, bills have been filed in at least 16 states this year.

The House bill now awaits a floor vote, while the Senate bill goes before the Budget Committee Friday, and then, if approved, on to a floor vote.
Tallahassee, FL
United States

Comments

• im_lux
    im_lux Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yeah I think they should. If you're going to take other peoples fkn money like free candy you should at least be clean while you do it. Who wants to take care of a dope fiend? Tax payers aren't tryin to be dope fiend friendly like that. Though I do think the drug testing should be free to the applicants.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I love how Republicans say they hate "big government", then get in office and propose this kind of ? .
  • shootemwon
    edited April 2011
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    I've never heard them say they hate "big government" I've heard them talking about our governments spending is out of control and that will eventually bankrupt this country. shootemwon....you're a smart person. Please explain how when your in debt over your head and the water is getting deeper and deeper....just throw some more water on it and that will makes things better? that logic is WAY.... to hard for me to understand.....spending your way out of debt.....WTF?

I know it's way too hard for you to understand, and unfortunately, I've already tried multiple times to explain it to you in the past. I mean no offense at all, but I'm afraid you just aren't smart enough to understand the concept behind this extremely simple and basic economic school of thought.
  • shootemwon
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Don't fear what you refuse to understand. In my little world me doesn't spend more than I can afford & me lives within my means. BTW my creditors wish more folks were like me. Basic common sense tells me and most likewise thinkers feel the same. You don't save by spending more and more of what you don't have to spend. So I guess them fools in credit card debt up to there eyes....are so blinded by the debt.....the only solution to spend more and get deeper in debt?....wow!

You fail to understand that your personal finances don't work the same way as a large country's economy.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i dont agree with the logic/reasoning to support their stance. they claim corporations/businesses already do this, so why shouldnt people seeking welfare assistance be exempt. I dont think corporations have employers submit to drug testing because they believe they are drug abusers, they do so to protect themselves against risks/liabilities. What the government is proposing, is that they have the right to invade upon your privacy, your basic rights as a human being, because they suspect, with no supporting evidence that if you are on welfare, you are abusing drugs. Its discrimination, and unethical. If you are receiving cash assistance, is that money supposed to pay for the drug testing? no, i dont agree with this,really where does it end?
  • Hyde Parke
    edited April 2011
    Options
    heyslick, man come on now, please dont derail the thread.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Oh please! spare me. Does the truth scare you? I already said they shouldn't be charged for any tests. Why is it you gotta always balk when it comes to making changes to an already corrupt government/system....and U don't wanna see any good in that?

what truths are you talking about? the ones you see on tv, or read about in the newspaper? Thats a whole other issue, just saying stay on topic. you agree there should be testing, but that testing should have no charge. care to explain why you think its ok for the government to impose their will on your right(s) as a citizen?
  • Hyde Parke
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hyde Parke

Allow me to ask you this simple question -- if the drug testing only applied to non-minority recipients would you still complain that its discriminatory? Also those white people MUST pay for it out of their own funds. Yeah we gotta make double standards in today's society & those things only apply to non-minority peoples.....cause they be so oppressive to others,even tho they be poor as hell themselves....make the poor whiteys pay and pay,right?

i dont know what you are on here, i havent mentioned one thing about race, that ? seems to consume you. You clearly didnt read my posts, where i asked, specifically -
    "why you think its ok for the government to impose their will on your right(s) as a citizen?" but thats ok, i see your answer.
  • shootemwon
    edited April 2011
    Options
    NO! - what you fail to understand is this country is already so deep in debt.....they can barely pay the interest ON that humongous debt.....so WTF they gonna borrow More just to pay the interest.......WOW! TALK ABOUT STUPIDITY.

Like I said before, I don't think you're intelligent enough to understand the premise of what I'm telling you. I'd be happy to keep trying, but only if you drop the rudeness.
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    yes. drug test them! drug test everybody!

but if they snatch benefits away from a fam of kids cause momma like to "bump a lil" and she fails her ? test, some people are really gonna be starved, hungry and dead.

we scream all day about how the government aint got no heart or compassion for people but they gots to because they wont pull the trigger on something like that. In the eyes of the government, those little welfare kids grow up, go to college (or not) and become tax payers. so one hand washes the other. thats how they think and justify their means and actions.

all about the money.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Sure, we need a revolution about now.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • elhuey
    elhuey Members Posts: 156
    edited April 2011
    Options
    when people say welfare, they only refer to the poor, as if the rich don't benefit from tax payers. well if the poor has to be drug tested, then everyone else should have to too.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The premise is hypocritical.

Are they going to require the same thing for Corporate CEO's?

Big Business extracts trillions of dollars in the form of Corporate welfare. They extract more than welfare recipients. Welfare is less than 1/10th of one percent of the total budget. Meanwhile these politicians give trillions to Corporations so they can keep prices high or move out of the country. While the CEO's and corporate officers do big drugs

Shame on these devils for nitpicking and scapegoating the poor..
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hyde Parke

Allow me to ask you this simple question -- if the drug testing only applied to non-minority recipients would you still complain that its discriminatory? Also those white people MUST pay for it out of their own funds. Yeah we gotta make double standards in today's society & those things only apply to non-minority peoples.....cause they be so oppressive to others,even tho they be poor as hell themselves....make the poor whiteys pay and pay,right?

Quit making up stupid what if scenarios, Slick. You made a false scenario then proceeded to defend it. LOL. You are one funny dude
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Until deficit hawk Republicans admit that we need to raise taxes too I'm not going to c/s any of their pretend austerity proposals.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    That said tho, I don't have a problem with it as long as it is within the boundaries of federal and state law (which FLA gov's plan to drug test all state workers is certainly not, this is a little grayer), although I imagine that FLA could put those resources that it plans to sink into drug testing to better use.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    When they start drug testing people /corporations they give huge government loans/grants to... but we all know what this is.. fear mongering.. and racism wrapped in the thinly veiled "responsibility and accountability measures
  • Hyde Parke
    edited April 2011
    Options
    When they start drug testing people /corporations they give huge government loans/grants to... but we all know what this is.. fear mongering.. and racism wrapped in the thinly veiled "responsibility and accountability measures

yeah, the american system has one helluva design.
  • The True Flesh
    The True Flesh Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    The premise is hypocritical.

Are they going to require the same thing for Corporate CEO's?

Big Business extracts trillions of dollars in the form of Corporate welfare. They extract more than welfare recipients. Welfare is less than 1/10th of one percent of the total budget. Meanwhile these politicians give trillions to Corporations so they can keep prices high or move out of the country. While the CEO's and corporate officers do big drugs

Shame on these devils for nitpicking and scapegoating the poor..

^^^^^^^This right here!!!

It's too late, The government been enabling addicts since the inception of welfare on purpose. Like another poster said, it aint nothing but scare tactics.......They don't really want to do that.

PEACE
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    lol just imagine if there were scrutinous stipulations for corporate 'wealthfare'..........? would shut down lmao

that idea wouldnt even be conceived though smh
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Another way for the GOP to turn the middle class against the lower class.

Does the policy make sense, yes.

Is it a noble cause, no.

I hate when people establish legislation aimed at "penalizing" the poor without ever introducing legislation aimed at bettering their situation. So the welfare recipients that fail the drug test, are we just going to cut them off of welfare? If so what's the time limit? What if they have children? What plan is in store to deal with the social repercussions?
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i can see why this makes sense. But aren't they just gonna use my tax dollars to drug test the folks? which leads to more waste of money. How bout getting better oversight and cracking down on those abusing the system.
  • CALVINCARTEL
    CALVINCARTEL Members Posts: 30
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I work for DHS and most of the women be on drugs. They dont use that TANF money for what is needed.
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hmm why is everyone acting like your welfare money should be spent on drugs??

I support it for that simple fact..

I just dont agree with paying for it outta pocket..